Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Marin Larkspur 2001, Xootr Swift, Carryme (my sister's now)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike for a person with Parkinson's?

I have a really good 76 year old friend who's been mentoring me.

In the past three years since he's had Parkinson's he's been more active than many people half his age: cycling across Austria/Germany, playint 3+ hours of tennis, and 6+ hours in his garden.

However, in the past two weeks, he's gotten worse. He slipped trying to pick up something off his bible case off the ground. Additionally, his short-term memory seems to be slipping and his gait is substantially less stable.

My mom (an occupation therapist) suggested cycling.

Any recommendations regarding a good solution?

I'll be trying to get in touch with my friend's primary care provider, and talk him into allowing the cycling. I know that one of my friend's biggest regrets is his lack of independence when his doc told him that he couldn't ride his bikefriday pocket rocket anymore.

The main criteria is that it can handle an impaired sense of balance, and that it can do 50+ miles a day.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will almost surely have to be some form of trike. I have seen some people riding in places like the Cape Cod canal trail (wide paved flat) on trikes who would otherwise not be on bicycles at all.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know very little about trikes, but this is the brand I've seen recommended - Catrike...

http://www.catrike.com/

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of great trikes out there - not the clunky things you might imagine, but superb pieces of machinery.

My son rides a Worksman 3 wheeler, but 5 miles on his is about all most folks would want to do. Not like a "real" trike.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.zzipper.com/Gallery/JimWetherell/index.htm

I have been riding with Jim Wetherell for about 6 month now and he hasn’t let Parkensons stop him. Tell anyone you know that might consider cycling about this site and I can assure you they will have new hope.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at Sun EZ-3 trikes. They're delta trikes (1 front wheel, 2 rears)...much higher seating position than most tadpole trikes (like the Catrike), and much easier to get on and off...but not nearly as high as the industrial-style trikes, and much more stable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your friend is in stage 2 or higher of the disease balance will indeed be a concern. A trike is probably the safest bet in this case. Has your friend experienced any bradykinesia? If so, you may be looking at your friend being the stoker on a tandem trike as the only solution that will be safe. Here's a link to one by a builder in my area that is starting to be distributed nationwide. http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_bi_t11.htm
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    +1

Also look at Greedspeed trikes.
    http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents...greenspeed.htm
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

Also look at Greedspeed trikes. ...
    The Tadpole would be my choice. Sheldon Brown began using one when his MS advanced to the point of disrupting his balance.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to recommend a Tandem. Two reasond for it and providing the Pilot is strong enough- He would be able to Balance the bike easy enough- The other reason is that unless you have an argument- your friend would always have someone with him if Medical problems arose on a ride.

And if money is not a concern- Then a recumbent Tandem Trike would be absolutely ideal. I have ridden one of these with a handicapped rider- and they are fantastic.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davis Phinney is, of course, the key link between cycling and Parkinson's, and he seems to be benefitting from deep brain stimulation.

http://blog.getbetterhealth.com/davi...ase/2008.10.12
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    The Tadpole would be my choice. Sheldon Brown began using one when his MS advanced to the point of disrupting his balance.

This is from Don Walker Bikes. When I can no longer walk by myself I'm gonna' get me one of these to ride. Below is a link to the website. I'm not saying it would be cheap, but they are fine looking machines. Look under the link for TRYKE on the website.

http://www.donwalkercycles.com/Welcome.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 02-25-09 at 02:22 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Marin Larkspur 2001, Xootr Swift, Carryme (my sister's now)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the recommendations.

I think that my friend has started to have bradykinesia, but he still smokes his granddaughters on the tennis court.

Regarding the tandems--he lives alone, and doesn't have anyone to ride with him. I can only visit him on Saturdays, since I'm at school at SF.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlau View Post
    Thanks for all the recommendations.

I think that my friend has started to have bradykinesia, but he still smokes his granddaughters on the tennis court.

Regarding the tandems--he lives alone, and doesn't have anyone to ride with him. I can only visit him on Saturdays, since I'm at school at SF.
    If he has really started to experience bradykinesia cycling is probably not the best option. Should he experience the typical difficulty in starting or continuing motion or an inability to adjust his body position, he's at a very high risk of crashing. The unfortunate thing about this is that you can't really predict when bradykinesia will manifest itself and when it won't.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Logo Tike, TourEasy Clone, Bentech SWB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I should think a trike is the go.

Chap out there "Parky" who has the disease. Riding a trike to raise awareness of Parkinsons. Done something like 50000 miles on a trike.

His inspirational web site.

http://www.inevergiveup.org/

John Lewis

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lewis View Post
    Yes I should think a trike is the go.

Chap out there "Parky" who has the disease. Riding a trike to raise awareness of Parkinsons. Done something like 50000 miles on a trike.

His inspirational web site.

http://www.inevergiveup.org/

John Lewis
    Yes I posted a site for him as well. Jim is a heck of a nice guy and easily puts in 30 miles a day just riding with us. On a good day I have seen him clock more than 16MPH. He even does hills.