Thread: skin cancer

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

skin cancer

We are riding our bikes and out in the sun quit a bit and I thought I would pass this on. I go to the dermatologist every 6 months and he usually finds something on me. This past visit he found some pre cancer and caught it in time. I worked outside all my life, but he found the cancer in the middle of my chest, where it's not exposed that much. So if you guys are getting up there in age or going to nudist colonies you may want to add the dermatologist to your check ups.
    George

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, you've got a good plan getting checked every 6 months. Thanks for the reminder.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I help fund my dermatologist's vacations to France so he can watch the Tour de France each year. Every 6 months I go in, and get sh#t frozen off me and we talk bikes and he sometimes takes me back to his office and shows me his latest riding vacation pictures...I look forward to the visits; the talking, not the freezing part!

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go once a year to get checked over. I've had several basal cell cancers removed and one squamous cell.
    I use sunblock with an spf of 60 on my face, 45 on limbs and hands.
    Sometimes the doc will burn something off with liquid nitrogen, no freezing. That's fun.

My Bikes
    1985 Miyata 210, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 7000, 1988 KHS Montana Crest, 1994 GT Outpost, 2001 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 2001 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a spot taken off my ear last year with liquid nitrogen, and I'm pretty sure it was freezing, not burning.
    People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1 tumor removed from deep inside the upper lip. So deep in fact that they ended up simply taking a pie slice out of the lip and sewing it back together.....

The results of all those years of standing in the middle of a field of asphault playing with fast cars.

Most folks don't believe that my mouth used to be bigger..

Sun and scars....sun and scars....sun and scars. Could be you next, don't wait, get a checkup...at least the prep is easier than a c**********

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grinningfool View Post
    I had a spot taken off my ear last year with liquid nitrogen, and I'm pretty sure it was freezing, not burning.
    I was referring to freezing with an anaesthetic.
    You are correct that liquid nitrogen is a supercooled liquid, but it destroys cells in the same way that burning does. I think. I always call the process "burning".

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reminder. I am overdue for my check up. Calling the dermatologist most ricky tick.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice.
    I'm prone to pre skin cancer "spots" mostly on my face so see the dermatologist every year. I always put on sunscreen (spf45) before going out for a ride.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Good advice.
    I'm prone to pre skin cancer "spots" mostly on my face so see the dermatologist every year. I always put on sunscreen (spf45) before going out for a ride.
    I changed to this stuff for my face a few months ago; wow! spf70, if you are not careful putting it on you end up looking like a mime.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd coincidence on this post, I just had a spot removed last week in US that was frozen off last feb (08) and came back strong. -I'm back in PI now- Wife phoned yesterday to say Lab report is level 1 melanoma. I plan to go back to US in May/Jun to get more skin removed. Dr said i could use a 'cream' but they don't have it here, and I would rather make sure its fully gone. BTW- having sunscreen here is like using a raincoat while swimming. It does not last.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

jwh
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Miyata 914,Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Jake The Snake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's one of the "benifits" of living in northeast Ohio,being exposed to direct sunshine is rare!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    I changed to this stuff for my face a few months ago; wow! spf70, if you are not careful putting it on you end up looking like a mime.

Hmm....my dermatologist told me anything much over 30 is hype.

But definitely worth getting checked out....had a pre-cancerous lesion removed a couple of years ago...

My Bikes
    '82 Colnago Super; '07 Cannondale CAAD9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having to go through 2 Mohs procedures right around the eyes I am a firm believer in 6 month checkups. Each time now the old nitrogen *** comes out. Still sort of hard to understand what we're going through now isn't the result of what we did last year or the year before but 30+ yrs ago....

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Odd coincidence on this post, I just had a spot removed last week in US that was frozen off last feb (08) and came back strong. -I'm back in PI now- Wife phoned yesterday to say Lab report is level 1 melanoma. I plan to go back to US in May/Jun to get more skin removed. Dr said i could use a 'cream' but they don't have it here, and I would rather make sure its fully gone. BTW- having sunscreen here is like using a raincoat while swimming. It does not last.
    I'm not a doctor, but I would not wait until May/June if it's melanoma, the most aggressive and dangerous form of skin cancer.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of skin cancer, check out this TV ad from the 50's.

It's truly, completely, unbelievable....(the surprising part starts about 30 seconds in...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1gksqqhLU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvelo View Post
    I have heard the same. I do know that with this thick goo I can stand in a parking lot baking in the sun for 10-12 hours on a Saturday teaching complete n00bs how to ride motorcycles and come home and have no sun burn. Now, if I had been smart enough to wear stuff like this 40 years ago as a life guard and a beach rat I might not even need to visit a skin doc every 6 months........

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvelo View Post
    IMHO, your doctor needs to go back to school.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been visiting my friendly dermatologist and his little green windshield washer spray can full of liquid nitrogen for 20 years or so. My reward for having worked outside most of my life. Sometimes he gets quite enthusiastic with the damn thing, and it smarts! Week or ten days later though, it's all healed up. I use SPF 50 if I'm going to be out for more than an hour or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A timely topic....I just had the liquid nitro treatment 2 days ago on 5 small spots on my face. Now I look like I got into a fight with my cat.....and the cat won!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamura View Post
    After having to go through 2 Mohs procedures right around the eyes I am a firm believer in 6 month checkups. Each time now the old nitrogen *** comes out. Still sort of hard to understand what we're going through now isn't the result of what we did last year or the year before but 30+ yrs ago....
    Ditto for me. I went to the doctor so he could see a growth by my eye and he said, "Oh, yeah I see two cancerous areas. Two? The other was on the temple. They were able to get the cancer on the first pass of the MOHS procedure. Stitched me up and I looked like a prize fighter for several days.

Now I visit every six months, and they generally find a place or two to freeze.

You're also right about what we did 30 years ago (or more). I remember having my skin peel around the shoulders to start off each summer since I didn't wear a shirt half the time as a kid. Instead of SPF 30, teen-agers would apply baby oil mixed with mercurachrome. That would give them a very healthy glow -- at the time.

My Bikes
    3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A contrarian when I haven't ridden my bike (0 miles today), but doesn't SPF10 enable 10 hours of light radiation compared to 1 hour un-slathered? SPF 35? SPFR 70? 35 and 70 hours?

Now, I take a baby aspirin and a multivitamin "to be safe" but I dunno about all this SPF rated clothes and 70 SPF ointments relative to cancer. Humans were made to be exposed to daylight and most of us spend an unnatural amount of time indoors. Now my milk and orange juice is Vitamin D fortified. Do we have corresponding vitamin D deficiencies as a result of the dermatologist promotion of SPF slatherings and too little sun?

I don't doubt well intentioned dermatologists but might their advice be influenced by research funded by cancer institutes and pharmaceutical companies themselves biased by what leads to more business? It’s no the people I question, rather the system. OK maybe the people should invest more in scrutinizing the actually statistical conclusions of these studies. No doubt reported skin cancers and treatments are up but could some of it be due to the popularity of improved detection? 10 and 20 years ago visiting your dermatologists wasn’t nearly so popular and certainly routinely N2 blasting a few spots was unheard of. I wonder about "pre-cancerous" vs. cancerous and precaution vs. truly necessary treatment particularly if the data is driven by skin cancer data.

I too, like vitamins, get pre-cancerous spots removed, pretty much every visit. I am a big believer in investing in cancer treatment research but.....are we over reacting?

Are we seeing a drop in cancer related deaths with this big increase in skin treatment, SPF slather and summer weight trench coats for the beach? Pass me another multi-vitamin.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad has had numerous skin cancers removed from all over his body. I have always been aware of changes in my skin condition and have my doctor look me over every 6 months or less. I have had a few removed but nothing came back alarming yet. Unfortunately I grew up in south Texas and spent many hours in the sun receiving severe sun burns more than a few times. Melanoma is a scary thing because it can pop up in places you would never see unless someone helps. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donna had a malignant melonoma removed (very successful-caught before it spread and no further incidences) so we both use sunscreen. But there is concern that it may not block the rays which cause cancerous cells. That being said, I'll still be using it, figure it's better than no protection. And talking to my dermatologist, he mentioned that many people get melonoma's where the sun doesn't shine, so it is not clear exactly what might cause them. I've only had one spot removed, as Donna didn't like the looks of it (looked like the ying-yang symbol)-but turned out be be a nothing skin discoloration (don't remember what it's called). Here's an interesting article regarding skin cancer and sunscreen: http://www.vvv.com/healthnews/dsunscre.html . I'll have my sunscreen on anyway.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man!

I have a funny thingie on my cheek right now. It came up fairly suddenly about 3 or 4 days ago. I've been treating it with some topical antibiotic. If that doesn't do it (it seems to be helping) it'll be off to the dermatologist for me too.

I hate going to any kind of doctor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast