Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st ride in 2 weeks - what a mistake

I've been battling an acute case of bronchitis the last two weeks. Did go to see the family physician and he says, just rest and let it run its course. For a while I was running a fever and got winded walking up two flights of stairs. So, riding has been out of the question. Well, yesterday I was feeling pretty good, the sun was shining, and it was actually above freezing. So, I thought I'd take just a short easy spin along the flat bike path for 8 to 10 miles - nothing strenuous - just needed to get out. What a mistake. About six miles into the ride I get a coughing attack that comes on so sudden and with such force that I actually get light headed, lose my balance and collapse along the side of the path. Fortunately, the bike didn't get more than scuffed up tape on the handle bars and I only got a few small bruises. My ego probably suffered more than anything else. I felt like such a fool. I guess it will be yet a few more days before I can get back on the roads. How do you all judge when you're "well" enough to get back on the bike? It seems when I was younger a bout of bronchitis would never have lasted this long.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similar experience although with less disasterous results than you. Annoying thing is I caught whatever bug I had in the Dr's office when I went for a routine checkup. When I thought I was ready to ride, I tried to keep up with the young skinny guys and ended up losing my breakfast after about 5 miles. Had to turn around and head home.
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not a fool. You're just a kid who needs to get outside and ride his bike. Which you'll be doing in a few days. Now, have a nice cup of soup and watch a movie.
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 02-26-09 at 08:39 AM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it turned out OK didn't it? You did not get hurt except for a big hit to your dignity and a severe maceration of your ego. Also hopefully you learned something. I have found that if I have a bad cold, I can ride just fine. In facts, the exercise seems to have an antihistamine effect and I feel better whilst riding. I stop and the nasty feelings come back almost immediately. If I have the flu (has a fever and a cold does not), it is a different story. No cycling. Shoot I will be lying in bed and think, "hey I feel almost good". "I think I will get up and do something". So I hop out of bed and the room starts spinning and I think "on the other hand, maybe this is not such a great idea".

My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold dry air may have been a contributing factor. Any chance of riding indoors until it warms up? If so, you could even set up a humidifier next to your rig.

Spring is less than 4 weeks away! Yay!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always heard that if the cold is above the neck you can workout, below the neck you should rest.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I've always heard that if the cold is above the neck you can workout, below the neck you should rest.
    that what I was taught also. seems to work.
    that aside, general achy kinda flu kinda thing, even with a little congestion, I get out for the fresh air and to keep the circulation goin.
    but generally its walkin, just for the reason to not fall off anything. Although, a nice jog in the winter, on xc skinnies, was always a great way to help break a fever. Think the mental refreshment was as important as anything. There's a rhythm to a nice diagonal stride, involving the whole body. Turning the cranks just doesn't do quite the same thing.
    I really miss the skinnies

if its fever and focused in the lungs (like bronchitis), then its best to do all you can to get over it and keep the exertion to a min. chicken soup! (miso or lentil for the veggies, actually just about any soup is Da Kine)
    because your circulatory system doesn't have direct access to infection points in the lungs, as it does to other organs/tissues of the body, combating infection by the immune system is that much more difficult.
    here's to your quick recovery! (cuppa chai...)
    Boy, things do take longer to heal these days. seems like what took 7 days when in the 20s now takes 21 days... I just can;t imagine what an illness would be like if I didn't have all the health benees of cycling and the other activities I/we do.
    ridin is not just enjoyment, its a survival imperative!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I had never heard that but I always had my doubts about the wisdom of riding with a cold. One always seemed to move from my head to my chest. So while expressing my skepticism in one of these forums I bothered to look up what the medical people had to say. Turns out there is really no such thing as a chest cold that is simply a form of Bronchitis. At least that seems to be what I get. I still donít care for riding with a runny nose. Even if it gets that way when it is cold.