trek 7.5fx rider
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 7.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi from a new 50+er

Hi just thought i'd drop in here and say hello to my fellow old farts who still like to put some rubber on the road. I'm new to the forum but not to riding. I've never ridden competitivly but i've done lots of recreational riding in many venues a few 5 boro bike tours and mtb and road riding. I'm trying to get in shape for my first group century in May. Any suggestions as to the best way to hydrate and fuel up? What kind of gear should I carry? Any tips for training would also be great> I don't need to finish in front just finish before the sun goes down. Thanks.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I suggest electrolytes like Poweraid or Gatoraid. You can also get some in powder form. I like Cliff bars and power shots either from Cliff or hammer nutrition. Dried fruit works ok as well. I carried at least two tubes and a patch kit. If you carry the powdered form of the drinks you can easily just mix it with water. I also carry a bag of Almonds.

trek 7.5fx rider
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 7.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bottle or camelback

Do you use a bottle to hydrate or do you suck on a tube. My bike only has 1 bottle cage, how do I bring along extra water? Thanks for the reply!

My Bikes
    DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick my situation is similar to yours. So I'll look at the advice here, too.
    I'm training for the Pasadena Marathon/Bike tour next month.
    I'm gonna carry a back pack, and put on a second bottle cage.
    They are going to have water and medical stations, so maybe I don't need anything.
    dc

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First things first.

Is there a local traditional favorite pie in the Sea Cliff, NY area?

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    First things first.

Is there a local traditional favorite pie in the Sea Cliff, NY area?
    It's good to see that somebody has their priorities straight. Of course the best way for a 50+ to refuel is to make a quick stop for pie. Whoever figures out how to make Apple Pie PowerBars will clean up.

As for hydration, I use a tube. But then again, I don't have a standard bike and there's no good place to hang a bottle. I can pack 70 oz and between that and a drink at the pie stop, I rarely have to refill it on a ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    It's good to see that somebody has their priorities straight. Of course the best way for a 50+ to refuel is to make a quick stop for pie. Whoever figures out how to make Apple Pie PowerBars will clean up.
    Apple cinnamon flavored gel from Hammer products is not quite there, but it's an admirable substitute to my taste buds. After the 40 mile hunger pains set in, it trancends the term "delicious."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    Apple cinnamon flavored gel from Hammer products is not quite there, but ...
    Suzie, Suzie, Suzie. Keep coming back.

trek 7.5fx rider
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 7.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

traditonal favorite pie in SC NY

The traditions here in suburbia have been mixed in the melting pot so there isn't any traditonal local pie, however my personal favorite is a pumpkin chiffon with a ginger snap pecan crust. Doesn't travel very well on the bike tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Rick View Post
    The traditions here in suburbia have been mixed in the melting pot so there isn't any traditonal local pie, however my personal favorite is a pumpkin chiffon with a ginger snap pecan crust. Doesn't travel very well on the bike tho.
    Heh! The trick is to find all of the primo pie locations and organize a "pie ride" to circumnavigate the route. Fortunately there is no criminal penalty to commiting an offense of RUIP....Riding Under the Influence of Pie

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    Apple cinnamon flavored gel from Hammer products is not quite there, but it's an admirable substitute to my taste buds. After the 40 mile hunger pains set in, it trancends the term "delicious."
    Welcome aboard and I can vouch for the Hammer products. After a few hours of riding and I take some Hammer gel and it really does the trick. It usally takes about 10 minutes to kick in for me.
    George

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pie stop, no ride. We ride for a pie stop at some point!!!

Best of luck with the century. I'd get another bottle cage somehow and hydrate well before you start.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Rick View Post
    Any suggestions as to the best way to hydrate and fuel up? What kind of gear should I carry? Any tips for training would also be great> I don't need to finish in front just finish before the sun goes down. Thanks.
    Suggestions only come after pics have been posted- Preferably of the PIE and not you.

As you can guess- PIE is important on this forum.

But on the hydration- Plenty on the ride and the day before. Fuelling-- As much as possible and try keep it to as much Fruit and carbo-hydrates as possible. Blueberries on a Pastry base is good but other fruits can be supplemented. Training- just get in a few miles- but take adequate stops for coffee and PIE- just so you don't overtrain- and get some hills in. Preferably with a cafe at the top to get the coffee and PIE stop in.
    Last edited by stapfam; 02-27-09 at 10:29 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the welcome to the bike forums. Since you are not NEW to cycling and with all this good advice, you should be good to go.

trek 7.5fx rider
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 7.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice especially about the PIE. I'll make sure to folllow it. Next time I'll let you know how my training is going and post some pix( PIE not me) . Right now I'm riding a 22 mile loop with lots of hills at about 14mph 2-3x a week weather and work permitting. I guess I'll have to up the distance as the date gets closer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Welcome aboard and I can vouch for the Hammer products. After a few hours of riding and I take some Hammer gel and it really does the trick. It usally takes about 10 minutes to kick in for me.
    George, George, George. What are we going to do with you? I have no doubt that you mean well, but Hammer Gel (AKA super snot) is not an adequate substitute for pie. It doesn't even come close. You too need to keep coming back to 50+.

Oh - and stay away from that evil "Road Bike" forum. I fear they are leading you astray.