Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (drop bar touring bike), 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1971 Claud Butler Tipo Strada (under resto)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was only around the neighbourhood...

It may have only been a short ride around a few blocks, but, it was a big first in a number of areas. It was the first time back on the bike outside since November. I never did ride it all that much on the trainer - I used it more for an easy way to set up a bunch of new equipment during the the winter. It was only -4 C. when I went out today ( dressing up in all the cold weather gear is really a bore) but I just couldn't wait. It'll be March next week and I am determined to get back out riding regularly during March.

I had so many new things to try out and you can only tell so much on the trainer. First, I had only ridden on my new Brooks B17 indoors. Secondly, I was dying to try out my new Trekking handlebar set-up. Thirdly, I finally finished mounting my new Carradice saddlebag. And fourthly and perhaps most significantly, I really wanted to see how I would adapt to my new SPD clipless pedals (from toe clips).
    I had always said that I would never "go clipless", but I just had to try them.

Well, let me say that, I love it all. Everything was a unqualified success. The Brooks was supremely comfortable - but of course I will wait and see what it feels like after a 100Km. ride. I really like the feel of the handlebars. I look forward to touring this summer with the saddlebag and most importantly, I liked the pedals and didn't have any trouble clipping in and out when I wanted to.

All in all, I'm really pleased.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by forresterace; 02-27-09 at 02:32 PM.
    2008 Specialized Sirrus Comp (dropbar touring bike), 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1971 Claud Butler Tipo Stada (under resto)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you enjoyed the ride and that all the "Improvements" worked. Think you are mad to ride in that temp. but just glad you finally took the plunge and got the bike out for a run.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your bike setup. Those bars, with the ergo grips on the inside, look much more comfortable to me than drop bars.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (drop bar touring bike), 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1971 Claud Butler Tipo Strada (under resto)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, since I knew I was going to put the grips there (and it is easy to slip the brake levers and shifters on the open ends of the bars, I was concerned that they were going to be closer to me than on the original flat bar, so I got the longest adjustable stem I could find (125mm). This puts the grips a a similar distance from me as on the flat bar plus I can adjust the bar up and down. The grips are a little narrower than before but I always felt that the stock set-up was a little too wide for my shoulders and of course using the bar ends was even wider.

On the trekking bars, the outside of the loops is very similar to the barends on the previous flatbar. Gripping on the front of the loops you actually can lay your arms across the grips and lean down like using aerobars. Very cool. I think I'm really going to like them.

I'm planning to put a handlebar bag in front as well.

Doug
    2008 Specialized Sirrus Comp (dropbar touring bike), 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1971 Claud Butler Tipo Stada (under resto)

trek 7.5fx rider
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 7.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like your bars too

I have a trek 7.5fx very similar bike and i think i'd liike to add a set of bars like that on my bike too. Keep us posted how they workout for you, and eat some pie.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really optimistic that I'm going to like the Trekking bars a lot. Next year (2010), I'm planning to get a real touring bike and I found another set of new Trekking bars for a good price on Ebay, so I picked them up and put them away. I'm doing a big fully-supported tour in July so the Sirrus will be fine for that. Next year, however, I'd like to try loaded self-supported touring and I really want proper steel frame touring bike for that.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not seen a gray (grey?) Sirrus before... good lines, very nice.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot