Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Seizing the opportunties...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Seizing the opportunties...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 02:24 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I liked Jet's ideas above but generally am in the "more low to mid-level cardio" camp. The most successful and enjoyable cardio for me has hands-down been been cycling. My council would be: more hours and days of cycling mostly at a comfortable level (a burst of speed here and there won't hurt when you feel the urge), maybe two days of lifting. A couple of days of complete rest would be good too.

As to food: just cut back on high fat and fried foods and high calorie sweets and generally reduce your portions a little. Otherwise you can enjoy eating what you've always eaten. A slice of high quality pie is permitted now and then provided you have greatly reduced your bacon intake!
Old 02-28-09, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Especially the evil rowing machine. I only did 2,000 meters and I wanted to file a lawsuit if I only knew who invented that evil thing.
W.C. Fields claimed that rowing machines were worthless. He bought one, put it into the river and it sunk immediately.
Old 02-28-09, 03:22 PM
titleless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Otherwise you can enjoy eating what you've always eaten.
Hey Billydonn, I think that DG wants some useful advice, don't you? To put your contributions in perspective would you please measure your girth and report it in your next post? Thanks. Better yet, after measuring your waist, measure girth at your hips. Then, divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement (in the same unit of measurement) and report the number. This should put your comments into perspective. Of course your % body fat would be even more helpful.
Old 02-28-09, 03:43 PM
train safe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Okay, the economy sucks and business is slow. It will get better when it gets better.

Here's my plan:

For the next ninety days, I'm plan to hit the gym three days a week (typically, Mon, Wed, Fri) and cycle three days a week. One day for R&R.

In terms of the gym, I've already been going for a month or two, and just yesterday decided it was time to move beyond the row of machines they've got for quick in and outs (kinda like Curves). Began to play with the big boys, using some free weights and other machines. I can't afford a personal trainer, but if anyone has suggestions or tips for getting the most from the gym, I'd love to hear them.

As for cycling, I've been biking some, but not that much. I plan to do a couple of ten-fifteen milers during the week, and a 20-25 miler on the weekend.
(No pun intended!)
I think if you're serious about losing weight, the cardio is the way to go... As for the cycling, your short rides should be in the 20-25 mile range, and you should stretch for a 50+ ride on the weekend... Lifting weights will also build muscle, which weighs more than fat, so the effect might not be what you are looking for... Diet is critical, but the cardio--running works real good, but is very hard on the knees... --carcio is key.

I don't use them, but there are some eliptical machines that incorporate rowing motion (more like cross country skiing) that worked real well for a friend of mine. Also, look inoto a ski machine--no pounding of the knees, and all the benefits of running (even though you go 'nowhere fast').

The most important thing, however, is to STICK TO IT...

we'll be here to check up on you every now and then

train safe-
Old 02-28-09, 04:01 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
W.C. Fields claimed that rowing machines were worthless. He bought one, put it into the river and it sunk immediately.
I bought a concept II rowing machine a few years ago (reasonble cost for non commercial buyers). It will indeed kick my posterior in 2000 meters. When I'm off the rower (currently) I start back at 2k and add 100m each time I get on the rower. The highest I've gotten is 5k.
Looking at the times posted on their website my best 2k time is roughly equivalent to a 90 year old lady.

DG - don't forget I'm one of your two friends You're my hero. Maybe we should enter a mutual get fit pact.
Old 02-28-09, 04:33 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I bought a concept II rowing machine a few years ago (reasonble cost for non commercial buyers). It will indeed kick my posterior in 2000 meters. When I'm off the rower (currently) I start back at 2k and add 100m each time I get on the rower. The highest I've gotten is 5k.
Looking at the times posted on their website my best 2k time is roughly equivalent to a 90 year old lady.

DG - don't forget I'm one of your two friends You're my hero. Maybe we should enter a mutual get fit pact.
I'm game if you are!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay