User Tag List

Thread: 100,000...

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hundred thousand calories burned since I got mt Felt. It took 2,470 miles and 87,305 cumulative feet climbed to do it. Unfortunately it also took almost 22 months, although I was not able to ride for most of the past two summers due to stupid injuries. Nonetheless, it's always fun to achieve a goal!
    My other bike is an Adirondack Guide Boat.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You now owe yourself 185 cups of Haagen Dazs ice cream.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once calculated that 1 pound of seemingly-permanent weight loss required me to cycle 175 miles, on average.

Bicycling is a very efficient means of travel.

I think a large part of the 1 lb weight loss /175 miles is that the ~15 hours on the bike prevented me from eating much in the first place.

Perhaps bicycling is more accurately described as a diet, rather than an exercise.
    Last edited by seeker333; 02-27-09 at 07:50 PM.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    TB is an evil man.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    TB is an evil man.
    Yea but not all at once- spread it over a couple of days.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How'd you measure the 100,000 cals? Most measurement systems I know of (like the Edge 305) overestimate the number of calories consumed (sorry).

Good altitude numbers. Here in the mountains of coastal Florida it would take 10 years to get that much climbing.

My Bikes
    09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm..
    I'm wondering how accurate those computors on the life cycle starimasters are /
    I just finished my last workout of the 3 month membership and logged the calories burned into my log.
    I'm at 74,326.
    I'm getting the feeling there IS something to the 'can't coast'/can't slack' segment of indoor training.
    (go to coast on a mag trainer and..you start all over again. Do it on a set of rollers and..you die or come up with substantial bruises. Do it on the stairmaster and it stops.)
    I know my legs wern't as strong all last cycling season (2000 with the club, 2600 solo)as they are now after 3 months with the stairmaster.

That said: I'm seriously hoping your body shows the effects of all those lost calories..'cause mine sure dont! (lol..I belong to those serious eaters with a cycling disorder group of folks)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use CycliStats for record keeping and calorie counting. I really like the completeness of the program, and it does not appear to be as "generous" on the calorie count as some of the other more generic programs. I figure even if it is not completely accurate, as long as I use the same measure routinely it os pretty useful. Now I must go eat my Haagen Dazs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it weren't for the Haagen Dazs, I wouldn't have to do this so much. bk

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight View Post
    A hundred thousand calories burned since I got mt Felt. It took 2,470 miles and 87,305 cumulative feet climbed to do it. Unfortunately it also took almost 22 months, although I was not able to ride for most of the past two summers due to stupid injuries. Nonetheless, it's always fun to achieve a goal!
    Cool, I started riding about 6-7 months ago and have been recording mine except for climbing as I do not have computer that does. I was not aware that Silver Spring had that much elevation to get that much. I guess it all adds up over time. I wish there were more hills were I ride. There may be but I have yet to find them and feel safe riding them.( I like shoulders)
    How was the Hagen Daz?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My usual loop ride (1 mile) has a 50' elevation change so it does add up. I also look for hills like Ross Drive which has a nice climb in either direction, although that is offset by my other routine ride, East Potomac Park, which is flat as a pancake. I think riding fairly quickly helps burn calories - I try to average 15+ MPH.
    As for the ice cream - urrp!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made the mistake of using the calories burned on the ride as justification in how many beers I could have that evening. What I didn't take into account was the calories consumed on the ride from drinking Gatorade, gel and any recovery drinks afterward. So a two hour ride @ 19 mph burned around 2000 calories but I drank 350 calories of Gatorade, ate 260 calories of GU, then finished up with Endurox with 350 more calories = 960 calories from fat. Thinking I had a "huge beer reserve" was not a good idea when the beers were accompanied with nuts and nachos.
    oldschool areodynamic brick