Who said slow isn't fun..
    My Bikes
    2010 Scott CR1, Lemond Buenos Aires, Santa Cruz Superlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zocor and Cycling?

Well, I've joined the ranks of the 50+, but have been a lurker till now. My doc wants to put on Zocor (heart disease in the family history and a high number on a blood test called c-reactive protein), My chlosterol isn't a problem, but some cardiologists think this stuff can stave off the big one. Anyone out there on Zocor? Side effects? Especially for us riders? Seems like the possible problems with muscle pain, etc. could be bad news....

S E Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuf tried to kill me I had to go off it after 7 weeks a few years ago . I almost was cripple had to rock to get out of bed !! Had my muscles hurting so bad ... Good luck

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been taking it for a while now. No noticeable side effects at all. No impact on my riding.

I've been prone to stiff & sore muscles since I was a teenager. Didn't notice it worsening.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to think if Zocor is a beta blocker or Cholesterol pill.

If Beta Blocker then exercise will be slowed down.

Now if it is The Cholesterol pill- a Statin of some form- Then it MAY have an effect on certain people. I have been on Statins for 10 years and last year had to increase the dose. They have never affected me with any of the pains that some have. But BB's slow the heart rate. They make it hard to get any impetus into any form of exercise. I was put on them and did affect my cycling. I came off them as soon as possible.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Bill
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no reason in the world to take a statin drug!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it. - Will Rogers

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, FCR2, Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would there be no reason to take a statin drug?

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    There is no reason in the world to take a statin drug!
    Well, except maybe for these reasons:

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourhealth/...t_disease.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/healt...gs/statins.htm
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be foolish not to take advantage of your doctors medical advice. Three years ago I had unstable angina & couldn't walk more than half a block without stopping & wondering if I could make it back home & when I had a stent implanted the Dr. told me he thought I was just days away from a major heart attack & my artery was 95% closed .Today I can run up to four miles & enjoy biking more than ever. Just in case you are wondering I had biked & jogged most of my life, heart disease doesn't just hit couch potatoes who sit watch TV all day.

When I was a kid & something bad would happen & I would say why me. My dad used to laugh & say "why not you" So follow the Doctors advice & you will possibly avoid an early death and endless medical tests & procedures.

Michael Smith

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take 20mg daily and have for the past 8 months. I keep a cycling log and I was very careful to observe any effects of this medication. My cycling improvement "curve" has not changed and my cholesterol number is below 70. I would like to try getting off of it and see if my cycling can keep my cholesterol under control. I'll discuss this with my doctor soon.

-soma5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those of you who are on a statin family drug might want to check with your doctor as to whether or not you can eat grapefruit or grapefruit products.There are some concerns about the interreaction of the two.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be aware there is a much cheaper generic version, known as Simvastatin. To my knowledge the Zocor or Simvastatin only lowers LDL cholesterol. I was on it briefly with no ill affects; but my problem was/is a too low HDL cholesterol. So now on Vytorin. Although sometimes think I was changed to just to keep me on a high priced drug.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

screenwasher
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora 2007, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 2006, Trek Antelope 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the statins only lower LDL cholesterol. Mevacor (Lovastatin) was the first of this class of drugs approved by the FDA in the late-1980s. Zocor (Simvastatin) was approved in 1991 (now generic) and is considered generally safe as far as statins are concerned. Some of the other approved statins are Pravachol, Crestor and Lipitor (which is now the top selling statin drug). If you start on a statin drug, make sure the doc follows up within a couple of months with a liver enzyme test (SGOT or something like that - not sure of the exact name of the test). The muscle weakness mentioned above is another noticeable side effect of taking statins for some folks.

Vytorin is nothing but Zocor plus Zetia (Ezetimibe). Zetia, which was approved four or five years ago, acts differently from a statin drug in that it is supposed to increase HDL. The combination was a way of extending Zocor's patent life after it became generic a couple of years ago. The other thing that seems to increase HDL levels is regular exercise - my own HDL has risen from high 40s to mid 60s within a couple of years of regular gym workouts and biking (along with losing 25+ lbs and a healthy diet).

screenwasher
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora 2007, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 2006, Trek Antelope 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point about grapefruit. Not just statins, a number of modern prescription drugs are not metabolized properly in the presence of grapefruit products. This is apparently unique to grapefruit in the citrus family. For example, orange juice is fine.

There is also some talk that pomegranate products may be similarly implicated in conjunction with prescription drugs.

Regardless, check with the doc if you are taking prescription medications.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screenwasher View Post

Vytorin is nothing but Zocor plus Zetia (Ezetimibe). Zetia, which was approved four or five years ago, acts differently from a statin drug in that it is supposed to increase HDL. The combination was a way of extending Zocor's patent life after it became generic a couple of years ago. The other thing that seems to increase HDL levels is regular exercise - my own HDL has risen from high 40s to mid 60s within a couple of years of regular gym workouts and biking (along with losing 25+ lbs and a healthy diet).
    And the effectiveness of Zetia and, in turn, Vytorin, is both being questioned and the subject of on-going studies, as discussed in this (and other) articles:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...orin-qna_N.htm

My Bikes
    '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago, I was put on different statins. The muscle pain, which is a symptom of possible heart muscle damage occuring, developed and I was switched over to Niaspan, which is a form of the vitamin, Niacin. I now take Niaspan and Zetia, and it has worked to correct my LDL and HDL problems without any noticable side effects.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on Lipitor in 2004. The side effects went beyond just sore muscles. They included my arms going numb from shoulder to fingertips, which would wake me up 4-5 times per night, no endurance, and a fogged brain that was starting to affect my speech. In addition to the soreness. After even a moderate ride I'd be sore for 4 days and a good hard training ride was out of the question! The harder I tried to stay in shape, the worse shape I was in. I went to cutting pills, then to taking it every other day, then once a week. Any dose at all was too much. Finally I told the doc I'd take my chances of having a heart attack if it meant less chance of dying of feebleness at 50, and thereafter I refused to take it at all. By that time I could barely walk a half-flight of stairs. The doc sheepishly admitted that some studies showed 100% incidence of at least some muscle damage by statins; it's just that those who don't push their bodies to the max don't notice. I've been working hard to recover for 5 years now, but I'm still not there.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR C2, Redline Conquest Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way to see if you would benefit from a statin is to Google Framingham risk calculator and plug in your numbers such as age, cholesterol, BP. If this shows you have a certain risk of developing heart disease then you may benefit from a satin. Because statins do more that lower cholesterol, they also reduce inflammation at the level of the lining of the blood vessels, some have advocated using the highly sensitive CRP to look for vascular inflammation. If this is elevated one may benefit from statins.

All statins can cause muscle soreness. A more serious side effect is actual muscle breakdown which can lead to kidney failure. Pravstatin, which is available at Walmart or Kroger for 4 dollars a month, might have less muscle side effects than the others.

Another thing that may help with the muscle soreness from statins is coenzyme Q 10

Ask your doc if he/she thinks Pravastatin is a good alternative to Zocor. Also ask about coenzyme Q 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 57+ had 3 stents put in almost 4 years ago, one artery was 100% blocked another 90% and I had several (6) that were < 50%. The doc said that my being active and a runner all my life probably saved me or the collateral blood vessels did. Diet and excercise weren't getting it done, obviously; my problems were and are strictly hereditary. IN FACT, the day I had my first severe chest pain/pressure I was within 1 day of the same age as my Mother when she had her first heart attack!
    I've been on Zocor (and the generic) for almost 4 years with no side affects, NONE. They started me on 20mg Zocor and 3 years later finally ended up at 80mg to get numbers reasonablly close to what the Dr. wanted. When the doc added Zetia 10mg my bad numbers LDL dropped immediatley to within acceptable numbers and the HDL went up about 10%. Adding bike riding 3-4 times a week (4000mi/yr) and loosing 22 pounds helped drop LDL another 10% and raised the HDL 10%. This winter I've dropped another 15 pounds and I'm in the gym 5-6 times a week versus 2-3 last year. I have my regular blood work in another month so those results will be very interesting to see. My c-reactive protein levels are fine, for me the problem is the cholesterol.
    As long as you are aware that there can be complications you'll be fine. If you suspect muscle pain go see your Doctor right away, don't think that it might be just normal muscle fatigue from riding or working out; get in and be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a physician and a person who takes a statin I can vouch for their relative saftey and efficacy. Granted they are not for everyone but the vast majority of my patients take them without any problems. Take comfort in the fact that they are one of the most studied drugs in the world with millions of people taking them. The take home message that everyone needs to know is that no medicine does it all. The most important thing you can do for yourself is to follow the reccomended life style changes whic include a mediterranean diet, regular physical activity, and get as close to your ideal body weight as possible. Also maintain a normal BP.

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started on 20 mg of Zocor about 7 or 8 years ago. It brought my slightly elevated cholesterol down a little, but when I started cycling regularly, my cholesterol dropped significantly. These days I'm on 10 mg. Tried going off the drug, but the LDL started to creep up. My doctor and I have discussed at length the benefits of taking simvastatin, and I decided staying on it was a good idea.
    You're east of East St. Louis
    And the wind is making speeches.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Focused1 View Post
    Well, I've joined the ranks of the 50+, but have been a lurker till now. My doc wants to put on Zocor (heart disease in the family history and a high number on a blood test called c-reactive protein), My chlosterol isn't a problem, but some cardiologists think this stuff can stave off the big one. Anyone out there on Zocor? Side effects? Especially for us riders? Seems like the possible problems with muscle pain, etc. could be bad news....
    Muscle pains are a possible side effect of statin medications, but if Zocor is a problem, there are a number of other statins you could switch to instead.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried both Lipitor and later Zetia. Lipitor worked but over a few years the liver enzymes went crazy and I had to stop. Zetia followed but wasn't doing much. I now take a product by NOW Foods, Bloomingdale IL. Its Red Yeast Rice with CoQ 10, milk thistle, and alpha lipoic acid.

tm3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no one wants sore muscles, especially cyclists.

interview a few folks who have had heart attacks, a few who have had CABG procedures, and for good measure take a stroll through a graveyard ... and realize that no one wants coronary artery disease, either.

in one controlled study involving over 6000 patients, the incidence of side effects with statins was lower than that with placebos.

there is some risk, however, of serious side effects.

one way to approach this is to get a detailed analysis of your cholesterol, i.e. "big" versus "small" particles. there is some belief that composition trumps absolute level, meaning that it is safe to stay off of a statin even with a high level if the composition is right.

the other end of the spectrum is to keep in mind that most people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol, and thus pull out all the stops, taking a statin regardless. the author of "south beach diet" (who is a cardiologist), says that every cardiologist he knows over the age of 40 takes statins, regardless of their cholesterol level.