Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

To B17 or not to B17

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

To B17 or not to B17

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 10:43 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To B17 or not to B17

I'm currently using a Selle An Atomica saddle with my old road bike and I'm very satisfied with the comfort. It's a great saddle. However, I'm getting a new bike and I'm sure I'll put the Selle on the new bike. That leaves my old Fuji needing a saddle.I'll still use the old Fuji alot for bus commuting. (Don't want to scratch my new Jamis). I know the original Fuji had a saddle similar in looks to the Brooks B17. I was thinking about getting the B17 Imperial (cutout) as a replacement.

Question is, the Imperial costs as much as another An Atomica. Should I go ahead and buy another Selle An Atomica or go for the B17 imperial? I've always wanted to try one but didn't know if I wanted to go through a long break in period.
Old 02-26-09, 10:56 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
If you opt for the Brooks try these guys. Cheaper with shipping than most without shipping.

Some people need a break-in period and many say their Brooks was comfortable immediately. I just got mine but haven't ridden it yet due to work and weather.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Default.aspx
Old 02-26-09, 11:59 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I knew a saddle was very comfortable for me, then I doubt I would buy a different saddle that cost just as much.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-27-09, 05:56 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I agree strongly with Tom on this one! Seems like finding a saddle that works for you is the hardest part to find for a bike, and if I find one that fits, and it's still available, I'd stay with it!
Old 02-27-09, 06:00 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I love Brooks saddles and I'm sure the Selle An Atomica saddles are great, but are you really going to spend that much on a new saddle for a beater? I would just use something I had laying around.
Old 02-27-09, 08:23 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
As said use what is comfortable for you. I love my Brooks B-17 but that is strictly personal preference and what my sit bones are used to.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-27-09, 01:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a bi7 honey

HI.
I have a b17 honey and after about 6mos of riding i started having muscle cramps in my glutes(butt)
and when I went to a thiner harder saddle it seemed to go away.
not sure of the reason suspect my legs are a little thicker and my pedal cleats are closer to the frame, so its real soft to ride on but if your going a long distance it may cause some cramps..hey it may be me.
doug

Ps Most bike shops have about 40 extra saddles that are off new bikes that had upggrades my local shops willl sell a good saddle for 5 bucks, they have them all over the place in buckets..
Old 02-27-09, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have B-17s on all my bikes and love them - very comfortable for long rides. BUT, having said that, if the Selle An Atomica is working for you, then why even think of trying something else?
Old 02-27-09, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You don't say if you have other saddle issues than comfort. If so, the right saddle is worth whatever the cost. If I had a saddle that was working well, I'd be very reluctant to switch to another. I don't believe you've mentioned that you've actually had experience with the B17. If not, you could end up disappointed or very happy, but why take the risk when you have a model already that works?
Old 02-27-09, 06:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
You don't say if you have other saddle issues than comfort. If so, the right saddle is worth whatever the cost. If I had a saddle that was working well, I'd be very reluctant to switch to another. I don't believe you've mentioned that you've actually had experience with the B17. If not, you could end up disappointed or very happy, but why take the risk when you have a model already that works?
Yes, I've had issues with the horrible saddles they put on new bikes. The Selle An Atomica saved the day. The B17 Imperial is also a cutout saddle and i was curious if others like it.

A comment was made earlier why put a saddle on an old beater. I'd agree except for the fact that I have to have a decent saddle to ride any bike for any length of time. I'll probably stick with what works for me, but I did want to hear some feedback on the other saddle.

But you're absolutely right, that it's a gamble to spend some serious money on a saddle that might not work out just because it has the right look for the bike. Thanks everyone for the comments.
Old 02-27-09, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Why 'fix' what ain't broke? Get another Selle. bk
Old 02-28-09, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A saddle is a very individual choice, and if I had one that worked, I'd probably stick with it.
Having said that, though, I got a B-17 as a gift several years ago, and after three or four weeks I went out and bought two more, for my other bikes. It wasn't a purchase I took lightly, either--I had two kids in college and my wife had recently started at the bottom in a new career (she burned out on teaching after 20+ years). It was a significant expense for us, but I was cycling 300-400 miles a week at the time and it made a huge difference.
Old 03-02-09, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to the Rivendell site and read the comment about the Brooks vs SA saddles. Bottom line is that the Brooks will take a little time to break in (vs zero time for SA), but may last longer if you are concerned about that. I have SA and do not like the regular B17. Personal taste!
Old 03-02-09, 08:20 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 5k+ miles on a B-17 that I "butchered" to closely resemble a Swift. It is all day comfortable for me. Having said that, I wanted a red saddle, and bought a red Selle Anatomica because it was so similar and had great reviews. I put about 2k miles on it, including RAGBRAI, and thought I was happy with it, but something wasn't quite right. I tried all kinds of adjustments, and finally decided that it was a little too narrow for me. I went back to my B-17, and couldn't be happier. I've recently bought an Imperial,and have started the break-in process with it.

Bottom line, saddles are a personal thing for everyone. If you have one that works, stick with it.
Old 03-02-09, 08:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm starting to appreciate the Selle An Atomica more each day. I started commuting to a bus stop several miles away each day and then riding downtown on the bus. Since I'm going to work, I'm wearing my civvies without chamois shorts. I have to say that the SA saddle feels even better that when I have padding. In fact, I hardly notice the saddle. So I'll probably stick with that, but order a Clydesdale model this time even though I'm about 170 pounds. Still, I'd like to try a Brooks on of these days but it's quite a bit of money just to try out.
Old 03-02-09, 10:26 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ecrider
I'm starting to appreciate the Selle An Atomica more each day. I started commuting to a bus stop several miles away each day and then riding downtown on the bus. Since I'm going to work, I'm wearing my civvies without chamois shorts. I have to say that the SA saddle feels even better that when I have padding. In fact, I hardly notice the saddle. So I'll probably stick with that, but order a Clydesdale model this time even though I'm about 170 pounds. Still, I'd like to try a Brooks on of these days but it's quite a bit of money just to try out.
It was the try before you by program that kept me from trying a Brooks in the first place. My LBS would let me try a lot of different saddles even a Selle without a problem. But no one was offering a Brooks for testing and if they have to be broken in first it wasn't likely I was going to find any.

That being said I am considering building up a steel bike as more of a touring/cruiser. If that comes to pass I think I could try the retro look of a Brooks even at the 80 to 100 bucks for trying it.
Old 03-04-09, 05:10 PM

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love my B-17s! I always get mine from this source. They are fabulous!
https://www.wallbike.com/Brookssaddles.html