User Tag List

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late birthday ride report

I turned 56 last Thursday. I didn't plan to ride my age but during the day the high 40's and sun got me thinking. My day started with a "fat burning" ride on the trainer at 5:30 AM for 1 hour with a Zone 3 HR. I know some don't think trainer rides count but my heart pounding out 8,580 beats didn't care where I was at. I got 20.4 miles in with an average of 20.4 mph (that's easy math!).

During work I kept looking outside and wishing I could be riding. On the way home from work I decided to get in a 2nd ride outside and possibly add the 36 miles to ride my age. By the time I got home the sky was clouded but it was still 48 degrees. As I was leaving the house my wife asked if I was dressed warm enough. I was in shorts and had a long sleeve shirt on with fingerless gloves and put the head light on the bike. As a precaution I grabbed a jacket and rolled it up and put it into my back pocket. The winds were around 20 mph and I decided to ride out into the wind and then work back riding a long rectangle. About 6 miles into the ride it started to drizzle a little bit. The sky to the SW looked lighter and I was riding into the wind and in that direction. Well, the drizzle truned to a light rain and I just kept going. When I got to point were I wanted to trun the road was closed so I had to go to the next road. The rain kept getting worse and it was now dark as I made the swing back towards home. I stopped and put the jacket on but the rain was cold on my legs and didn't feel very good as it soaked into my shorts and socks. Completing the ride almost became epic with the wind, rain and cold appendages. I made it home and at first couldn't move my fingers enough to unsnap my helmet and had difficulty walking in the garage because my feet were numb also. However I did ride 38 miles in that crap and even averaged 18.8 mph.

Even though there will be protest from some BF brethern, I'm taking credit for riding my age + two extra miles on my birthday due to the circumstances of the day.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem with me, that counts. You road your age + more as trainer miles count doubles. That makes it 76.8 miles for the day.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday, near twin (I was 56 on Jan 22)!! And congratulations on the Age Ride. I did one yesterday, too, on SGRT, and came home with sunburned arms and nose.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Condorita View Post
    Happy birthday, near twin (I was 56 on Jan 22)!! And congratulations on the Age Ride. I did one yesterday, too, on SGRT, and came home with sunburned arms and nose.
    Happy Birthday! Take care of those sunburns.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant take that weather anymore like I use to when I lived up north and worked outside. Anyhow I take my hat off to you and say happy birthday. How long did it take you to thaw out ?
    George

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From one Jet to Another--well done! I plan to hit the hot tub and bask in the reflected glow of your accomplishment.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have fat to burn...shocking.

I certainly count trainer miles but the time interval between the trainer ride and the ride outside exceeded four hours (I just made that up but hey this is bike forums) thus DQing either the trainer ride or the road ride from "counting".

Notwithstanding all that BS, the combination of the trainer with the ride outside in the wind, rain and cold sounds epic.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am overdue for an age ride. Do you do contract work?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I am overdue for an age ride. Do you do contract work?
    That will encompass a premium rate. You ride on the MUPs at 10 to 13 mph thus adding to the agony of the event.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    That will encompass a premium rate. You ride on the MUPs at 10 to 13 mph thus adding to the agony of the event.
    And he would have to ride it on platform pedals and sneakers.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have fat to burn...shocking.

I certainly count trainer miles but the time interval between the trainer ride and the ride outside exceeded four hours (I just made that up but hey this is bike forums) thus DQing either the trainer ride or the road ride from "counting".

Notwithstanding all that BS, the combination of the trainer with the ride outside in the wind, rain and cold sounds epic.

Losing a pound or two is a side benefit. The workout is done before eating resulting in the body only being to obtain fuel from processing fat thus making the "fat burning engine" more efficient on long races.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At that rate could someone complete the ride in one day?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    At that rate could someone complete the ride in one day?
    You may have to subcontract that out to someone with double century equipment (lighting technology), sitting endurance and a bell.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday! Take care of those sunburns.
    The threat of sunburn is my biggest concern when embarking on a long ride. I don't know how I managed to stay out so long outdoors in years past without severely damaging my Celtic hide. Now I even have to worry about burning through the slots in my bike helmet.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though there will be protest from some BF brethern, I'm taking credit for riding my age + two extra miles on my birthday due to the circumstances of the day.
    Agree to it being the 5?+ miles on the day- and probably a birthday ride

Sorry but DQed as a ride your age event. No pic and not even a mention of one of the vital constituents of a ride. PIE.

Well done on not giving up in the rain and the cold- but you are a 50+er- you should have been better prepared.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Agree to it being the 5?+ miles on the day- and probably a birthday ride

Sorry but DQed as a ride your age event. No pic and not even a mention of one of the vital constituents of a ride. PIE.

Well done on not giving up in the rain and the cold- but you are a 50+er- you should have been better prepared.
    Sorry no pics. I did celebrate soon after the ride with my wife and two grown sons, by eating home made quesadias, refried beans, salad and Dairy Queen frozen cake. Oh yea, with a couple Shiner Bocks to wash it all down.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No protest from me, considering the conditions and you still rode 18+ mph! That's totally excellent in my opinion. Plus, good that you kept on going, even though the conditions were getting worse. That's really insane, and I know, because I would have done the same .

Rick / OCRR

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have to subcontract that out to someone with double century equipment (lighting technology), sitting endurance and a bell.
    This is why I laugh when someone encourages me to do a century. I did a metric one day, but it took 8 hours of clock time. I figure a century would be at least 12 hours, if I could somehow endure 9 hours of saddle time.

In general, I'm okay up to about 3 (4 on a good day) hours in the saddle (with enough breaks taken). After that, I don't enjoy the ride much.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on a hard-earned birthday ride!

Your post reminds me of an event last year when I got caught in a thunderstorm about a third of the way through the ride. A friend and I ducked into a police substation to ride out the storm. He had the foresight to bring a rain jacket and was OK. I brought no jacket, got soaked, and was shivering uncontrollably from stem to stern for about 20 or 30 minutes while I was inside the station. I can relate to your situation and salute you for your determination to finish the ride. I vote that the miles should count!

I've since purchased a good rain jacket and will add some rain pants soon.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy belated birthday and good going on the ride. I'd sure count it as riding your age. You certainly suffered enough.

Here's to many more miles!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday Allegheny Jet.

Brunstuckians have Shiner Bock??? Alriiiiight!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No protest from this Buckeye. Any one who can get in a winter birthday ride around here deserves credit for it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Condorita View Post
    A belated birthday wish, Condorita You missed by birthday by one day.....and 10 years.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith