Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Roubaix Question

    I have been seriously considering a Specialized Roubaix as my N+1 this spring. I had been leaning toward the Elite triple, but began compairing it to the plain triple and see very few differences (except an approximate $300.00 disparity in price). Very few of the technical specs are different (difference in the seat post and fork for example).

    Does anyone have an insight into whether the Elite is worth the extra $$$? Has anyone else gone through this? I must say that I have not ridden either yet, so I have no practical comparison on the roads. Help.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  2. #2
    Riding my bike
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bi-Coastal Bays (Boston & SF)
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR C2 / Bianchi "beater"
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same comparison and rode a couple of Roubaix's (along with the Tarmac and a some others) when I was looking, but don't know how helpful I'd be because it was a while ago.

    It looks like the biggest difference is that they're different frames. FACT 6r vs FACT 7r (although to be honest I have no idea what that might be worth to you). Some other bits (seatpost, bottom bracket, crankset) are different and might matter if you're extremely picky. FWIW, I don't think the differences would be worth several hundred $$ to me.

    Its a great bike though (although I wound up buying a carbon Giant TCR). I probably would have gotten the Specialized if the dealer would have been more helpful. I'm from the same area as you and I hope you're getting a good deal on a '08 leftover.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baftap View Post
    I did the same comparison and rode a couple of Roubaix's (along with the Tarmac and a some others) when I was looking, but don't know how helpful I'd be because it was a while ago.

    It looks like the biggest difference is that they're different frames. FACT 6r vs FACT 7r (although to be honest I have no idea what that might be worth to you). Some other bits (seatpost, bottom bracket, crankset) are different and might matter if you're extremely picky. FWIW, I don't think the differences would be worth several hundred $$ to me.

    Its a great bike though (although I wound up buying a carbon Giant TCR). I probably would have gotten the Specialized if the dealer would have been more helpful. I'm from the same area as you and I hope you're getting a good deal on a '08 leftover.
    That's what I would like to do but haven't checked with my LBS yet. This is probably the right time to do it though, with more snow and cold weather this week they may be more amenable to a good deal, especially if they have some leftover '08 models. Going out of town for a few days, so Saturday might be the day. Thanks for the input.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  4. #4
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Baftap- I ride a TCR-C so can't comment on the Roubaix- Except to say that you are about to get plenty of comments about how good the Roubaix is. It is a very popular bike here on the forum but do get a test ride to check it out.

    Normal things that change on the next model up are the groupset and wheels. But as I can't get into the Specialised Archive- I can't see the last years models. And if you can get it- an 08 model should be a significant saving over the current years models.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  5. #5
    Senior Member gpelpel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Posts
    2,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roubaix are good frames. I don't see much of the difference either, the Elite Triple has a Shimano crankset, the Triple has a FSA unit. Otherwise the components are identical.
    To facilitate your decision: what about the Roubaix Compact?
    I switched from triple to compact and will not come back, for sure.

  6. #6
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Elite Triple has a "7r" frame vs the Triple's "6r" frame. Don't know what that means in Specialized Speak, but it sounds like an upgraded frame.

    As the OP mentioned, the fork is different too, again seemingly slightly, but it is an upgrade.

    Likewise for the headset, front hub (28h on Elite, 32h on Triple), spokes are DH Champion on Elite, no-name on Triple, seatpost is carbon on Elite, carbon-wrapped on Triple.

    And then the crankset, as noted earlier.

    That's a fair amount of changes for $300. Different frame, fork, spokes, wheel hub, seatpost, headset, and crankset. Don't know how much of a difference any of them make, but if you trust Specialized then you would assume all of these are upgrades.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

    There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

  7. #7
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpelpel View Post
    Roubaix are good frames. I don't see much of the difference either, the Elite Triple has a Shimano crankset, the Triple has a FSA unit. Otherwise the components are identical.
    To facilitate your decision: what about the Roubaix Compact?
    I switched from triple to compact and will not come back, for sure.
    I think I need the triple, lots of hills around here and I think I need the range of gears, but I will check it out. thx.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two comments on the 6r versus the 7r frame, can anyone shed any light on the difference? Is it significant?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  9. #9
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    The Elite Triple has a "7r" frame vs the Triple's "6r" frame. Don't know what that means in Specialized Speak, but it sounds like an upgraded frame.
    The 7r is a higher quality carbon so it allows for a lighter layup for the same amount of strength.

  10. #10
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,379
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
    The 7r is a higher quality carbon so it allows for a lighter layup for the same amount of strength.
    This is correct. I've had both the 6r and the 7r and found the 7r to be slightly stiffer too.... without giving away any of the comfort. It could be worth the extra money if those things are important to you. I got the upgrade on a frame replacement, and would likely pay for it if I had the extra money.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

  11. #11
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Posts
    5,253
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Elite triple and I think it's a very good bike. The only Specialized I compared it with was the aluminum frame with carbon stays and I felt the all carbon bike rode much better. I like the triple as well because we get big winds down here and it has come in handy many times. The only difference in the fact 6 and 7 is the lay up. The 7 is stronger. I have 5500 miles on mine and I weigh 205# and the frame is holding up good. I probably should say, it hasn't broke yet. I did change the saddle and wheels out and I feel the bike is just the way I want it. Plus my wife doesn't want me to spend anymore money I took the Cannondale for a ride as well as the Giant and I felt the Roubaix was more comfortable. You may try different bikes as well and find something more comfortable. I think that would be a good idea if you have the time and there are different shops close by. Anyhow, I love mine and I felt I made the right chose for me. Good luck with your search.
    George

  12. #12
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks George, that helps alot. Appreciate the other comments as well, I do have the time to check other bikes out and that is a good suggestion. I guess I lean toward the Specialized brand because I own a Sirrus that I really enjoy. Funny that no one has mentioned trying out a comparable Trek? I know that wasn't the original question but if there are suggestions about Giant and Cannondale, why not?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  13. #13
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    I guess I lean toward the Specialized brand because I own a Sirrus that I really enjoy. Funny that no one has mentioned trying out a comparable Trek? I know that wasn't the original question but if there are suggestions about Giant and Cannondale, why not?
    I am a HUGE Specialized fan as well. If you like there products up to this point I see no reason to look elsewhere. I can honestly say that while you may find equals out there I doubt you will find anything better than the Roubaix when it comes to a mix of comfort and performance.

  14. #14
    Senior Member gpelpel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Posts
    2,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to think that Specialized offers more for your money than Trek. I also like their design on the new bikes. Although I do not own any of their road bikes I am a very happy MTB Specialized owner.

    My above suggestion for a compact instead of a triple is based on having to tackle lots of hills around here (east San Francisco bay). I also like climbing centuries such as the Death Ride. Having a compact involves using a wider cassette (12-27) so you can have the same lowest gear as with the triple without the hassle of switching between 3 chainrings. It also make the bike a bit lighter.
    Last edited by gpelpel; 03-02-09 at 10:01 PM.

  15. #15
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend the Roubiax without reservation, except that I got the very best one they ever made, it's a one of a kind made just for me (that's what the guy said, so....) and so I'm afraid that any other Roubiax would be good, but not THAT good.

    Go on, get it. You'll love it.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  16. #16
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Posts
    5,253
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that the 2009 is out you may get a good deal on a 2008.
    George

  17. #17
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the Roubaix I test rode... a LOT. Would have gone for it, but this cute little LeMond was on special and winked her eye....

    If it were me, I would ride all the major brands available in the price range of the Roubaix: Felt, Cdale, Giant, even Trek. That way you will be really happy with what you buy and will flirt with all the girls before you marry!

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  18. #18
    OM boy cyclezen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Goleta CA
    My Bikes
    a bunch
    Posts
    3,011
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in addition to the different carbon fabrication, the elite frame also has zerts. Now I;m not sure how much they do, but overall the general effect on ride is quite nice on my 2 Spec. My Elite is a couple years old now, so besides the differences in componentry, its prolly also the 'older' carbon fabrication, which might be the new 'triple', not elite. No matter, I luv that machine.
    I wasn't sure whether I'd like the Roubaix as much if I had a Tarmac to ride; so when a Tarmac style Frame became available for a very nice price, I got it. Carbon S-works Tarmac. Very nice, quick, prolly one of the top 5 bikes I've ever owned. But... the Roubaix Elite, even though a bit heavier than the S-works and not as high end on components, is still way more allround bike - one of the 3 top bikes I've ever owned.
    The S-works will get sold this summer, the Roubaix will stay with me for a long, long time.
    ...For $300 bucks, I;d go with the Elite...
    time for some Will Shatner...

  19. #19
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,704
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpelpel View Post
    My above suggestion for a compact instead of a triple is based on having to tackle lots of hills around here (east San Francisco bay). I also like climbing centuries such as the Death Ride. Having a compact involves using a wider cassette (12-27) so you can have the same lowest gear as with the triple without the hassle of switching between 3 chainrings. It also make the bike a bit lighter.
    This has been discussed to death on several threads and there is no consensus. Compacts give plenty of range for some people, but there is no way that a 34 tooth ring can offer the same low gear potential as a 30 tooth ring. Cassettes are easily changed. Some people find they shift the front less often with a triple than with a compact. Weight difference is negligible.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  20. #20
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    This has been discussed to death on several threads and there is no consensus. Compacts give plenty of range for some people, but there is no way that a 34 tooth ring can offer the same low gear potential as a 30 tooth ring. Cassettes are easily changed. Some people find they shift the front less often with a triple than with a compact. Weight difference is negligible.
    Have to agree and it is up to the rider. I ride compacts locally on our hills and have no problems but just converted one bike to a triple. That is a bit of future proofing as I do plan to go back to the mountains sometime and feel that a Compact just would not be low enough.

    I think that a compact is better than a triple- but others will not agree.

    The Roubaix is a fine bike and haven't found anyone that dislikes it- yet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  21. #21
    Senior Member BillK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maryland suburbs outside Washington D.C.
    My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totaled my bike a few years ago (long story) and, after conducting a bit of research on the Internet, paid a visit to my LBS and test rode a three bikes -- a Trek Pilot, a Lemond Zurich (I think) and Specialized Roubaix. Well, needless to say (as you can tell from my sig), I went with the 2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert Compact Double (7r frame) and love it. I was the smoothest shifting, best braking and smoothest riding of the three. The only aspect (to me) that it lost was handling, which I had to give to the Lemond. So, you probably can't go wrong with either the triple or triple Elite, but a test ride might help you make up your mind.
    Last edited by BillK; 03-03-09 at 07:00 PM.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

  22. #22
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All very good comments. I will be off the LBS on Saturday. My wife asked if I wanted to stop yesterday on the way home from lunch, but we were pressed for time and I want to make sure I ask the right questions and give the decision proper consideration. Besides there is still snow on the ground here, and hopefully it will be gone by Saturday.

    It is interesting that my wife's opinion on this has gone from "why do you need another bike" to "just get it, you worked hard and it is something you enjoy and will use, go for it". So I have a green light, just want to make sure I make the right choice for me. Don't want to spend that kind of money and then start second guessing myself.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  23. #23
    Senior Member Allegheny Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Medina, OH
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Posts
    5,562
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    All very good comments. I will be off the LBS on Saturday. My wife asked if I wanted to stop yesterday on the way home from lunch, but we were pressed for time and I want to make sure I ask the right questions and give the decision proper consideration. Besides there is still snow on the ground here, and hopefully it will be gone by Saturday.

    It is interesting that my wife's opinion on this has gone from "why do you need another bike" to "just get it, you worked hard and it is something you enjoy and will use, go for it". So I have a green light, just want to make sure I make the right choice for me. Don't want to spend that kind of money and then start second guessing myself.
    I got the same response from my wife two years ago when I was looking to purchase a Roubaix. I took her encouragement and once at the store upgraded to the Roubaix Expert Compact. I've taken the 12 x 27 cassette off long ago and now ride the compact with a 12 x 23 and haven't found many hills that were too steep.

    You will enjoy any of the new bikes. Good luck!
    oldschool areodynamic brick

  24. #24
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I got the same response from my wife two years ago when I was looking to purchase a Roubaix. I took her encouragement and once at the store upgraded to the Roubaix Expert Compact. I've taken the 12 x 27 cassette off long ago and now ride the compact with a 12 x 23 and haven't found many hills that were too steep.

    You will enjoy any of the new bikes. Good luck!
    Then I shall do it, thereby proving once and for all that I do listen to her, ha.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  25. #25
    Freddin' it
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    752
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an '08 Roubaix Elite Triple Jan 2. Curiously, the plain '09 Triple is about the price of an '08 Elite and is spec'd almost identically (6r carbon, etc.). Ride the '09 Triple and '09 Elite. If you can tell them apart, get the Elite. I couldn't so the '08 triple/6r carbon seemed fine to me. Of course I was coming from a 29-year-old steelie with 32 mm tires. My first surprise was that I expected the Roubaix to handle vibration better and the steelie to handle jolts better. Could tell in the first few hundred yards in an extended old parking lot that the opposite was true. Given my ruptured L4-L5 disk, I noticed the Roubaix transmitted less road shock. Since this was my first bike with 23 mm tires (32 mm previously), the bike seemed to feel every pebble, though. Not a problem as much as jolts, so I was pleased. I went for the triple because of old knees and high winds and am glad to have it. OEM tires are rock magnets. Had 1800 miles on the rear and 6 flats, the last being a true blowout. Now have an Armadillo on the back. 2001 total miles as of today and no problems except that crapppy tire. (Immediately replaced saddle with my 29-year-old Ideale 90 leather saddle, and swapped CF seatpost for an aluminum one so I could add a seatpost rack.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •