Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Finally...

Old 03-15-09, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Finally...

Ol' Fuj and I were able to get 30 miles in this afternoon. It was cloudy, gray, and cool, but at least nothing was falling from above, as in limbs or water in any of its various physical states.

In a couple of spots, shown below, we did see a faint glow at the end of the tunnel and did not detect the rumbling of the locomotive rolling in our direction.

Ol' Fuj wanted to take a break, so we stopped under this snowball of a tree. I believe it is what is called a Bradford Pear. They're like snowballs in the spring and like fireballs in the fall.

Quite a number of these trees succumbed to the ice storm back on Jan. 26. This variety is beautiful Spring though fall and grows fast, but they seem to be somewhat fragile when it comes to heavy rain, wind, frozen precipitates etc.

These flowers along the Lake Fayetteville Trail were too good to pass up and begged to be shot, so we shot 'em.

Even with these harbingers of Spring, Ol' Fuj and I aren't holding our collective breath. A couple of years ago, we had a late freeze which took out the blooms on everything around here that produces something that's good to eat, including the wild blackberries. We had a brief bout of snow, sleet, and freezing rain a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully, Winter will crawl off somewhere and die!
Old 03-15-09, 07:33 PM
Let's ride to the pub!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring!
Old 03-15-09, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Wow Doc. It'll be a while before we have flowers blooming like that. Is that in AR or LA?
Old 03-15-09, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Wow Doc. It'll be a while before we have flowers blooming like that. Is that in AR or LA?
These are in AR. My lovely and charming better half in LA told me tonight that the dogwoods are already blooming down there and that are particularly nice this year. We live about a driver and a 3-wood from the Kisatchie National Forest down there, and some of the dogwoods you see way back in the pine forest are so bright on occasion that you'd think they have their own built-in source of illumination.
Old 03-17-09, 12:39 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Nice. I saw a bug today.
Old 03-17-09, 03:47 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We had unreal weather today, it's usually "wet and cold" in March in Southern CO. but today it was almost 70 degrees a bit breezy and abundant sunshine. I decided to do my longest single day ride and also get into to dirt, no not singletrack but still DIRT!

https://picasaweb.google.com/bjandjoo...70800289689586

https://picasaweb.google.com/bjandjoo...70803463019730

https://picasaweb.google.com/bjandjoo...70811484740930

The Dirt trail is part of the Santa Fe Trail, that heads into Palmer Lake, CO. thru the USAF Academy, it's lot's of dirt, a bit sandy in a lot of places with LOTS of short steep hills for climbing and haul'in bunns down! A total of 35 miles 1000 feet ele. gain (we live at 6000+) and I'm BUSHED BTW, if the links just go to my bicycle photo's album, just look for the photo's with "03-17-09"!