Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cxp22 or Open Pros

I'm looking to get another set of wheels for training and inclement weather riding. I have two sets of Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra hubs that have been serving me fine. However, I'm seeing more and more Mavic CXP22 on Ultegra hubs at a slightly lower price. Anyone have experience with these? I'm close to the Clydesdale range; so that is a factor.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At 200 to 220 lbs riding weight the CXP 22 on a Shimano Hub with DT Swisse DB spokes is my favorite budget wheel. If you can front a little bit more money, the CXP 33 rim with the same setup will make a much better wheel. The differences are: The CXP22 has a pinned joint but has the 2 round extrusions inside (see wheel crosssection) that add a great deal of strength for a heavy rider on a loaded bike where as the CXP33 has a welded seam and a much better weight. Both will outperform the open pro from a strength point of view. The Open Pro's strength is light weight without too much compromise which is why it is one of the favorite rims for general purpose go fast riding.

The CXP22 is the deep V version of the Open Sport while the CXP is the deep V version of the Open Pro.

Hope that helps you make up your mind.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wheel builder had a slightly different track on the wheels he builds.

Shimano hubs and Mavic rims- but 105 hubs-Cheaper and lighter than Ultegras although not by much in either case.

And CXP33 rims. The cost saved on the hub would give a better rim.

And 36 double butted spokes. Apparantly- with some lacings with 32 spokes there is a weak spot and the difference in cost between the two spoke numbers is minimal but the strength is increased. And if you want less spokes- then he would build a different wheel completely.

Have to admit that these wheels ride extremely well. Had them for two years now- done about 10,000 miles on them and just got them retrued and retensioned. Good idea to have this done but the wheel builder moaned at me for not giving him enough to do. Still true but he detensioned the spokes and Reworked the wheel. He may not have done anything but they did feel nice when I rode them again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've toured on CXP33 rims and 32 spokes and I'm a Clyde. Hit potholes doing over 40mph, that did require getting the spokes retensioned. I am just brutal on gear, but what did them in was the nipples corroding. I was an idiot and went for light nipples.

Your wheel guy is prob right, but it sounds like overkill to me.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand