Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring Like Ride

The weather prediction said one day in the 60's then back to the ice cold that has defined the Northeast this winter. So last Friday I took off to do part of the Cape Cod Rail Trail thinking that if I could get back in the pines, away from the wind on the water, it would be more pleasant.

Sure enough, it worked, within 5 miles I stopped and took off my windbreaker and road with just a sweatshirt. Started in Wellfleet MA, and went out about 10 miles to Rock Harbor, in Orleans MA. Very pleasant. Stopped at the harbor and had a piece of fruit and something to drink and noticed it was much breezier and cooler on the water.

On the way back I cursed myself for not packing a camera. There were some great potential photos. What was really nice is that I only saw 4 other cyclists the whole time, not that I'm anti-social, but the solitude and peacefulness did wonders for my spirit. In addition, I felt extremely lucky to be able to take advantage of this brief respite from the ice and cold. The next day was frigid.

Can't wait for spring!!
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on being able to take advantage of a break in the weather.
    I'm really looking forward to two days of sunny skies and mid 70s temps forecasted for this Saturday and Sunday. Quite a change from the rain and snow of the previous weekend.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never go on a bike ride without the camera. It's why I like riding alone or with a very small group. I can stop anytime I want to take pictures. Try doing that in a peleton at 25 mph.
    A month to go before we have decent riding weather around here.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cape Cod Rail Trail +1!

Last Friday I commuted to our old office for the last time. Rode in with tights and fleece, the ride home was in shorts and t-shirt but it clouded up and put the fleece on for the last 8 miles.

Sat & Sun are looking very promising this coming weekend. If I can get the kids somewhere I might hit the CCRT too! I was out there a few weeks ago and it was lonely - just 1 other rider - also a big portion was iced up - I rode from Orleans to Eastham, then to the beach and back again. I also did a leg on my MTB to the bay side which was all frozen up.

I like that trail you can really get cooking!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    Cape Cod Rail Trail +1!

Last Friday I commuted to our old office for the last time. Rode in with tights and fleece, the ride home was in shorts and t-shirt but it clouded up and put the fleece on for the last 8 miles.

Sat & Sun are looking very promising this coming weekend. If I can get the kids somewhere I might hit the CCRT too! I was out there a few weeks ago and it was lonely - just 1 other rider - also a big portion was iced up - I rode from Orleans to Eastham, then to the beach and back again. I also did a leg on my MTB to the bay side which was all frozen up.

I like that trail you can really get cooking!
    I noticed last fall that there is a spoke that goes to Chatham and Harwich I think as well. Haven't ventured on that portion as yet. Also you might like to know that the Provincetown dunes trails were supposed to be refurbished in the off season as well, if that happened these are fun, with lots of hills and twists and turns and beautiful scenery with ocean views and great beaches.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 2 weeks of rain, we are looking at a week of 60 degrees. Yay!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades