User Tag List

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ma and Pa Kettle goes to Sandy Eggo...

So Gramps has been summoned to Sandy Eggo by his darling daughter, who is now scheduled to go Hospital to deliver the expected wunderkind, on Thursday - prolly induced. So a long weekend is planned.
    So excitin it all is, I'm Stoked!
    So I know the proud parents are not gonna want us hanging around all day. So I'm thinkin to load up the 2-whlr and maybe do a daily ride while in SD.

Anyone in SD area have references for 'show-up' kinda rides on Friday, Saturday or Early Sunday in SD?
    Pace not an issue, easy, hard, its all good and fun
    Preferrably 30 to 40 mile kind cause I should prolly only disappear for a couple hrs...
    tanks...

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen View Post
    So Gramps has been summoned to Sandy Eggo by his darling daughter, who is now scheduled to go Hospital to deliver the expected wunderkind, on Thursday - prolly induced. So a long weekend is planned.
    So excitin it all is, I'm Stoked!
    So I know the proud parents are not gonna want us hanging around all day. So I'm thinkin to load up the 2-whlr and maybe do a daily ride while in SD.

Anyone in SD area have references for 'show-up' kinda rides on Friday, Saturday or Early Sunday in SD?
    Pace not an issue, easy, hard, its all good and fun
    Preferrably 30 to 40 mile kind cause I should prolly only disappear for a couple hrs...
    tanks...
    It is always fun to take the bike path around Mission Bay and related parts. Speed limit is about 8 mph, as I recall, but it is pretty and refreshing.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow, who remembers Ma and Pa Kettle! They used to run them on Sat. afternoon when we had a black and white TV. Very un PC today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good 50 mile route that I laid out for another person wanting a day ride in San Diego.
    San Diego Half Century

You could shorten that by going from east to west on Mira Mesa Blvd at the top end instead of the designated route. Its got pretty good roads most all the way and a variety of terrains and vistas from good climbs to a long flat stretch where you can watch the jets come into Miramar.

You don't say where you'll be in San Diego, though I guess it would most likely be near Children's Hospital or UCSD. The route goes very near UCSD Hospital, and Children's is located centrally within it so you could ride over and pick it up at just about any point. It also means that if she is at Childrens, you could hurry over from any point.

Or for something different, you could treat yourself to some open training at the San Diego Velodrome in Balboa Park. Here is the Velodrome Riding Calendar
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to pay money ($.15) to go see "Ma & Pa Kettle" movies in the theater. Strange that they were so popular in my hometown (pop. 3703), where everyone worried about being a hick from the sticks.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's DG when you need him?

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    At the picture show watching Ma & Pa Kettle.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to those who did reply.
    Wife and I will almost certainly promenade Mission Bay, for sure.

Otherwise, thanks for the half-century ref. and also for the SD velodrome - I completely forgot about it...
    I'm gonna have to remember to check for open practice sessions when I again get to SD - which will prolly be a lot more frequent, what with the addition to the family.
    Need to 'service' the trackie and get it track worthy again.
    Meantime, since not many 50+rs from SD seem to know group ride info for the area, I'm gonna have to get my hands on that SoCal pub which lists many of those rides... No worries, a solo ride is always looked forward to. Just thought i get in some fun socializin.
    maybe next time...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and found some links since no San Diego cyclists piped in.

San Diego Bicycle Club

San Diego County Bicycle Clubs

If you go to Mission Bay, don't forget the Giant Dipper. You can skip Sea World. There will be too many occasions to go there with a grandchild.

Sandy Eggo says "Come On Down".

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Here! I somehow completely missed this thread!!!

Anyhoo, the advice above is spot on. Another good ride is around the perimeter of the city of Coronado, and then down the Silver Strand and back. Beyond that, there are a couple of reservoirs that have paved roads around 'em, like Lake Murray and such, which are great rides although repetitive.

If you're so inclined, take Interstate 8 east a bit, get off in El Cajon and park the car, and then take the bike up into the foothills.

Have a great trip!!!!!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try MapMyRide? also maybe the San Diego cycling coalition can point you to some group rides--or the local bike shops that sponsor rides.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also just thought of posting in the SoCal forum.

Artkansas, Thanks for the SD BC link, their Saturday ride looks like fun and lots of variants...

also got a ref from SoCal for the Cyclo-Vets, and they have some good rides.

the idea behind goin in a group ride is soz I don;t have to think of route-mapping - I can just be another sheeple on the ride and count on local expertise... woiks for me

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pa Kettle: You know, Ma, I bet you once had an hourglass figure.
    Ma Kettle: Yeah, but the sand sure shifted.

Have a great trip!
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity