Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Bicycling Times

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycling Times

I received the premier issue of Bicycling Times magazine a couple of days ago and am enjoying reading and viewing it. This is the new magazine about transportational bicycling from the folks who put out Dirt Rag, a decidedly eclectic magazine about mountain biking.

The first issue concentrates on commuting, but it is likely that the focus will shift to include other types of bikes and riding. They plan to follow the Dirt Rag pattern of providing a forum for readers to provide lots of feedback and even submit content. There are a few stories about the joys of commuting, articles about what gear to carry on a commuter bike and how to carry it, tests of commuting bikes and town bikes, cool art (much in the style of Dirt Rag) and adds for very different types of bikes than you'll typically find in Bicycling magazine.

I'm liking it so far. I only wish it was going to come out more than four times a year. It already has me thinking about making some modifications to Duke, my old Fuji road bike. I want to make it more of a commuter, all road, all weather versatile road bike. The articles and the advertised websites are giving me a lot of ideas about how to go about making the bike work better for those roles.

I don't know if you can find it on newsstands, but subscriptions go for $10 for the four issues per year.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, Falcon Super Route, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a copy at NAHBS and I agree, it's quite good. At 1/3 the price of Bicycle Quarterly it probably has at most 1/6th the content but the color photography does look nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm skeptical about the long term prospects for a bike commuting. Commuting is pretty routine, once you start. Would anyone subscribe to "Car Commuter" or "Modern Toaster"?

Paul

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    I'm skeptical about the long term prospects for a bike commuting. Commuting is pretty routine, once you start. Would anyone subscribe to "Car Commuter" or "Modern Toaster"?

Paul
    I agree. and that is why I am encouraged by the editorial comments that the magazine will evolve acording to reader input and interests, not to mention the varying interests of the staff. Just from the first issue I picked up on pontential forays into coverage of light touring, camping, urban riding, dirt road exploring, social riding, cross-state organized rides, brevets etc.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good. Readers can buy that first isssue to learn some things about bike commuting and then learn about other cyclig activities that they might want to explore. It gives them a reason to keep getting it.

Paul