User Tag List

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody get this feeling?

First of all I know this is not the place to try and diagnose a heart condition, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have experienced the following symptom. I get a quick sharp pain in the heart area that last no longer than a second several times a day. Sometimes I'll go several weeks without feeling it at all. This week I have felt it a little more often than usual. It does not accurr when my heart rate is up and I do not have any other heart attack symptoms. I'm not the typical heart patient body size. I'm very active, eat well and skinny. I had a Cahterization procedure last year that showed that one aorta was a little smaller than than the other, but the Cardio doc said that it was functioning fine. I do push myself hard on my rides (close to max heart rate). The following link is to an article that sounds like the pain that I am feeling. Should I be concerned?
    http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.p...me_chest_pain/

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=spoke50;8472307]First of all I know this is not the place to try and diagnose a heart condition, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have experienced the following symptom. I get a quick sharp pain in the heart area that last no longer than a second several times a day. Sometimes I'll go several weeks without feeling it at all. This week I have felt it a little more often than usual. It does not accurr when my heart rate is up and I do not have any other heart attack symptoms. I'm not the typical heart patient body size. I'm very active, eat well and skinny. I had a Cahterization procedure last year that showed that one aorta was a little smaller than than the other, but the Cardio doc said that it was functioning fine. I do push myself hard on my rides (close to max heart rate). The following link is to an article that sounds like the pain that I am feeling. Should I be concerned?
    http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.p...me_chest_pain/[
    /QUOTE]

Bingo!

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I am a computer technician so that's almost the same thing. My advice would be do do a restart and if the problem persists, we'll have to reformat the hard drive.

You are obviously concerned or you wouldn't have posted this thread. With all due respect to the accumulated experience and wisdom of the members of this forum, the advice you will get will be about as useful as mine, unless that advice is: "GO TO A DOCTOR"

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope that's not a power off/power on restart!

Go get another checkup. We just lost another tech (for 8-12 weeks) this week and the prototype development lab is now known as the geriatric ward. This last tech was skinny and healthy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoke50 View Post
    . . . quick sharp pain in the heart area that last no longer than a second several times a day. . . .
    As unambiguous a signal as ever was to have your doc look closer. Lucky indeed is the chap who gets even the tiniest hint of trouble. The obits are full of skinny-fit folks who keel-over in the bloom of their retirement. . .as I was reminded just last week when a dear friend and colleague went to be with the gods.
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already knew that this would be the response. I guess I just wanted to hear something that would make me ignore the pain. It's just strange that I feel fine and everything I read mentions symtoms that I have not experienced. Last time I mentioned the pain to my doc he thought that it was probably just some type of hernia. Of course that promted the Catherization that turn uop nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I had a co-worker who had a heart attack. Talking to him in the hospital, he admitted that yes, there were some warning signs, you know, twinges when walking up stairs...

I'd say go back to your cardio guy and have him check you over again. Or get a second opinion.

On this website, we just don't have the required equipment to give you a decent diagnosis. Maybe you could put a request into the Bike Forums management to include cardio monitoring software on the site. Once they get that done, we will be glad to give you a completely unqualified diagnosis.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I know this is not the place to try and diagnose a heart condition, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have experienced the following symptom. I get a quick sharp pain in the heart area that last no longer than a second several times a day. Sometimes I'll go several weeks without feeling it at all. This week I have felt it a little more often than usual. It does not accurr when my heart rate is up and I do not have any other heart attack symptoms. I'm not the typical heart patient body size. I'm very active, eat well and skinny. I had a Cahterization procedure last year that showed that one aorta was a little smaller than than the other, but the Cardio doc said that it was functioning fine. I do push myself hard on my rides (close to max heart rate). The following link is to an article that sounds like the pain that I am feeling. Should I be concerned?
    Any family history of heart trouble? What made you get the cardiac cath last year?

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any family history of heart trouble? What made you get the cardiac cath last year?
    I had an abnormal EKG during my physical last year, so the doc sent me to the Cardiologist where he gave gave me a stress and then the heart cath. He determined that I had an aorta on one side of my heart that was a bit smaller than the other side, but other than that there were no blockages or other problems found.

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, there has been a history of heart problems in the family. Of course I like to think that I'm in a lot better shape than those family members were.

I guess I'll scheduel that appointment

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, there has been a history of heart problems in the family. Of course I like to think that I'm in a lot better shape than those family members were.

Sounds like you are on the right track...As a side note, protect your privacy. It is unlikely that you will get any useful information on the Internet. However, you expose to the world a likely non-problem and family history that employers, insurance companies and others may use against you. IMHO, these are matters to be discussed with family, close trusted friends (maybe) and medical professionals. Good luck.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't care how fit you are- My first sign was indigestion. I did not know till I researched it but all the males on my fathers side- died of heart failure. Except my Dad and he died of Cancer -probably before he was old enough for heart failure.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be sure to mention you exercise a lot

HI,
    Most people who exercise alot can have nearly normal EKG's with early heart blockage, its the only down to exercise.
    Many atheletes who have sudden death had no real warning .
    Its hard for cardiologist to realize a athelete has a different ekg than a sedentary person, Just mention the mild tinge to the DR see what he thinks.
    Doug
    I had similar experience, but I am a 59 y/o CD my cardiac enzymes were perfect as was my EKG.
    But due to our excellent conditioning it may be difficult to DX a partially blocked artery cause we compensate so well.
    See if there's a cardiologist who deals alot with older athelets like baseball players and such in your area .

some news about using MRI to DX heartdisease in athelets
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/57649.php

Quote(The change in the heart mass is the way the body reacts to the endurance training," Dr. Sandner said. "However, in some runners, it may also be an early sign of cardiac disease."

"It is difficult to differentiate an athlete's heart from one that has disease," added Stefan M?nkamp, M.D., Ph.D., cardiologist and principal investigator of the study. "Establishing criteria for what is normal in marathon runners of advanced age is one of the team's research goals."
    ))

Dr's look for thick heart walls when looking for Heartfailure, exercise can thicken and even enlarge your heart a bit. so Most Dr's can be surprised at the size of a athelets heart when its perfectly normal..
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 03-05-09 at 06:46 PM.

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following link is to an article that sounds like the pain that I am feeling. Should I be concerned?
    Read.... learn.... be informed.... but stop short of self diagnosing on the web.
    If I self diagnosed from my various web searches, I would convince myself I have 3 days to live.

I think the only legitimate peace of mind comes from good communication with your doctor and regular periodic tests.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
    HI,
    Most people who exercise alot can have nearly normal EKG's with early heart blockage, its the only down to exercise.

[
    I have a 100% blockage in one of the Arterys at my Heart. The blockage developed so slowly that the heart compensated and grew new vessels to carry the blood.

My last EKG, before the stress test, showed my heart to be normal. During my physical last year my Dr. asked me how long it had been since I had a stress test. I asked if he thought there was something wrong and he told me "No, but you probably should have a stress test as a precaution." Good thing, as the blockage was discovered.

Don't take chances with your Heart. If you think there might be something wrong, go to your Dr. ASAP!
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

surfrider
    I had an abnormal EKG during my physical last year, so the doc sent me to the Cardiologist where he gave gave me a stress and then the heart cath. He determined that I had an aorta on one side of my heart that was a bit smaller than the other side, but other than that there were no blockages or other problems found.
    I'm not a doctor, but you either wrote that wrong, or you need to find a new doctor; you only have one aorta, not one on both sides of your heart.

Also might want to ask the doc about upper digestive problems (reflux, bad 'valve' where the espohagus and stomach connect, etc). That can cause sharp chest pains, too.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, last night I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and so I can tell you that most sharp, quick chest pains, that aren't accompanied by shortness of breath, are not related to heart problems. At least that is what two doctors have told me.

However they can be and if I had them on a regular basis, I would beat a quick path to my doctor.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003079.htm

The symptoms they worry about the most, as far as heart problems go, are these:
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/g...sease-symptoms
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USUALLY, pain associated with heart conditions isn't short or extremely localized like you describe, but....I'm not a doctor, of course. I've had occasional sharp, short pains like you describe, very shallow in my chest, that have nothing to do with my level of exertion. I get them most often when I take a sudden deep breath or flex my rib cage in some other way, as when rotating my upper body. Have had them my entire adult life, so I attribute them to some sort of twinge in a nerve near my sternum. They always fade quickly and I don't worry about them.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first symptom of heart problems experienced by many people is sudden death. Schedule another appointment with your doctor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are posting on this forum and you have that kind of pain, see a dr. Probably nothing but don't play games with your health especially given your reference to the "partially blocked aorta"
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)