User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This really stinks!

Went out to our shed to get a couple things while doing a tiling job. Discovered we had a visitor who stole my wife's less-than-a-year old Trek bike. Apparently took nothing else. This really p****s me off. It took quite awhile for me to convince her to get a new bike in the first place, and now I'll have to start over. At least my Specialized Allez Elite was stored in the basement, so the b*****d didn't get that.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is bad news. Pretty brazen to come into your yard and shed and steal it. Was the shed locked?

We don't lock things up in our yard. Didn't lock our garage for years. It's annoying when you have to do that.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    That is bad news. Pretty brazen to come into your yard and shed and steal it. Was the shed locked?

We don't lock things up in our yard. Didn't lock our garage for years. It's annoying when you have to do that.

Count your blessings. In this part of the country they come into your house while your home and take what they want. My wife is so used to locking herself in that I need to remember my keyS even if I just walk out to my padlocked garage within my padlocked six foot fenced back yard to fetch a wrench or I'll be locked out of the house.

Armed home invasions are occuring more often. Burglery is up and like I said, being in the house does not deter burglers any more. We haven't left a window open overnight on the ground floor in over 20 years.

Loosing a bike out of a locked outdoor shed does not shock me.

goefitz, I'm sorry to hear about your wifes bike. I hope she's not reluctant to replace it.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about your loss. Hope your insurance covers it.

My backyard shed has been broken into twice. Which is why we keep both bikes inside the house.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bikes just sit in the garage. I was in a friend's garage earlier today. His good bike hangs from the rafters, locked with a big cable. I was wondering if I should be doing that. Hmmmm. Maybe so.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your loss. I had a bike stolen out of my garage 15 years ago and I'm still angry. Most of my bikes are in the basement.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shed wasn't locked. Didn't see a need for it. I do now. It is now locked. When I get the replacement for the wife's stolen bike, it will be locked to something inside the shed, as well as the shed being locked.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Sorry for your loss. I had a bike stolen out of my garage 15 years ago and I'm still angry. Most of my bikes are in the basement.
    Two of my friends, who live in the city of Madison, had bikes stolen from their garage last year.

I tend to leave the garage door open for several hours on weekends. Perhaps I should lock up my favorite bike, or two.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I still live in a country area where we grew up not locking much of anything. (only 20 or so miles from urbanity though so maybe there is a lesson here) Last year, a rash of midday breakins at high noon (kicked the front door in) brought a halt to that. We had to start a neighborhood watch and become more aware of our neighbors lifestyle patterns, as in what is that work truck and why is it there.

I fear as the economy dips, that all of us will have to learn to be a little more careful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your loss. My bike shed is locked and each bike within it is cable locked to a steel mount bolted into the building's frame structure. Finally, the door and windows are equipped with alarms. Despite all of this, I know that if someone really wants them, there is little more I can do to stop them.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    The shed wasn't locked. Didn't see a need for it. I do now. It is now locked. When I get the replacement for the wife's stolen bike, it will be locked to something inside the shed, as well as the shed being locked.
    The worst thing that they steal from you is your peace of mind. Now, everywhere that you go, you have to carry with you an ever increasing ring of keys. You've just become a prisoner of your own possessions.

I hate that.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH Man, sorry tohear that. Maybe a new bike will help stimulate the economy.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Two of my friends, who live in the city of Madison, had bikes stolen from their garage last year.

I tend to leave the garage door open for several hours on weekends. Perhaps I should lock up my favorite bike, or two.

I like to keep my garage doors closed. If people don't know there's something of value, they won't think about getting into my garage, except perhaps by random selection. Cuts down the probability of theft.

Crazy ole cat lady
    My Bikes
    One built up on a Nashbar frame, one built up from a Paramount frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not alone in having thieves walk off with your property. David Zabriskie who rode the Tour of California for Garmin-Slipstream was burglarized while away for the race. Besides the seven bicycles they took both of his cars, his Olympic medal, TV, stereo, and other things totaling well over $100K.

I had my apartment cleaned out once myself. It wasn't the things stolen that got to me. Those could be replaced. It was the feeling of being violated in my own home that was the worst.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    OH Man, sorry tohear that. Maybe a new bike will help stimulate the economy.
    I already stimulated the economy last Wednesday to the tune of $2500 for two crowns. I busted my two front teeth. A stupid, repeat, stupid, brain cramp involving a home remodeling project and a 2X6

It never rains, it pours.