intern
    My Bikes
    none but looking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

small steps

As a new to bicycling 65 yo. I am making progress. I have had my Trek 7300 for two weeks now. I ride on a short trail through a park 1.3 mi and do 4 or 5 trips around it every day. It is a bit rolling but nothing bad.

Today, I finally did 10 miles. Now compared to most of the people on here, 10 miles is nothing but a warm up. For me just starting it seamed to be a 1st hurdle to overcome. The best thing about it for me was the fact that I did it without going to the #1 ring. I stayed on #2 or 3 the whole time.

A little step but Progress never the less.

I still plan on riding my age by my birthday in September.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Just keep upping your mileage bit by bit and you'll get there. Every time you hit a mileage milestone, it lets you know the next one is within reach.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    Awesome! Just keep upping your mileage bit by bit and you'll get there. Every time you hit a mileage milestone, it lets you know the next one is within reaach.
    Today I joined a lad on a ride that does not cycle. He only did about 8 miles and it finished him. Next week I am loaning him a bike and taking him on a gentle 20 mile ride. May be nothing to a lot of us- but that is going to hurt him.

Considering as how he only came out of the navy 5 years ago and must have "Some" fitness left on him- and he is only 35- Your 10 miles today is pretty good. But as above- just keep upping the milage and pushing yourself just a bit fharder each time. Won't be long before you are up to what you think is a good milage.

And 10 miles is sensible at present.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Scattante R-560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Cypress View Post
    Today, I finally did 10 miles. Now compared to most of the people on here, 10 miles is nothing but a warm up. For me just starting it seamed to be a 1st hurdle to overcome.
    It sounds like you're making terrific progress. I remember when I completed a 12-mile route near my home, I felt like I had biked around the world.

Keep it up! You'll definitely hit your goal if you keep at it. You may even be able to complete a century this year.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work. Now the miles will come on fast.
    Get a couple of water bottles and carry some snacks for your 20 and 30 miles rides,
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great riding. Stay with it and your body will respond very quickly. Wonderful start.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten miles is a major accomplishment. Back in the day, it was about a 10-mile bike ride to my gf's house. I was convinced--and she agreed--that riding home without spending the night first would have been an act of madness.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!

I remember my first ten-miler. What a sense of accomplishment! I think I took a nap afterwards.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good start. Now you need to find some additional places to ride.

The problem with riding short loops like that is, at the end of every loop, you have to make a decision whether or not to ride another. It makes it too easy to hang it up for the day. I suspect that after you find a few more good places to ride you'll find yourself choosing different routes every day and you'll build speed and distance more quickly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love posts like this. Posts like this are exactly why we started the 50+ forum back in September, 2004!!

When I finished my first 15 miler, I called the wife on the cell phone and bragged on it. It seemed like a huge ride, and it was for me at the time.

Congratulations, and just keep it up.

Also, as mentioned previously, find some interesting places to ride that you can't come back to easily, and you will ride farther - a longer loop of some sort without any short cuts.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-08-09 at 06:46 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure is hard getting started, but when you do, you'll setting different goals for yourself. I don't know if it gets easier, you just keep getting faster and riding greater distances. Congratulations on your first real accomplishment in cycling and good luck.
    George

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep posting your progress. We love it. Congratulations.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good On Ya!

I doubt anyone here hopped on a bike (regardless of what age) and did centuries immediately.
    Make the ride more about the journey than the destination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the milestone, my fellow Louisianian. I hope you celebrated with some crawfish! We'll be looking forward to future milestones and some photos.

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done B Cypress. And good on the rest of you for being so encouraging.

I still have to reach that ten mile goal - but I have just got back from the first proper ride for years. Only three miles there, a little rest (and a glass of local ale) and three miles back round by the bay, glorious weather, fabulous views, with a bit of a head wind.
    I returned to cycling just a few weeks ago - had to give up due to arthritis in hip (waiting a hip replacement). Gave my beloved Claud Butler bike away at the beginning of February as I couldn't ride it any more. N-1 was too much for me and I went out and bought a Trek Navigator, a proper "old ladies" bike a week later, which I can actually get on. Have only been round local back roads gaining confidence up to now. Now there'll be no stopping me, I hope. I can't tell you how good it feels to be back on a bike again!
    And I'm glad there are people on this forum who are still working up to the century rides.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on a good start toward some ambitious goals. Just keep working at it at your own pace and before you know it, you'll be achieving all your goals and setting new ones. But don't obsess over the goals so much that you forget to enjoy the rides. It's about the journey, not the destination.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really doesn't matter how many mile you ride, just as long as you enjoy every inch.
    Keep up the good work!.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that things are going so well. Keep up the good work.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Cypress View Post
    As a new to bicycling 65 yo.

I ride on a short trail through a park 1.3 mi and do 4 or 5 trips around it every day. It is a bit rolling but nothing bad.

Today, I finally did 10 miles.

I still plan on riding my age by my birthday in September.
    Don't feel badly at all about taking short rides. I started back riding in July of last year @ age 63. It was not easy. For the first couple of weeks, I was lucky if I could ride 2 - 3 miles without being completely worn out.

While I've not gotten to the point where I can "Ride my Age", I do have a personal best of 36 miles and it took a lot of riding to get to that point.

Keep it up and keep increasing just a little bit day to day and week to week, before long you will have riding your age behind you and you will be looking for that first century ride.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the way to go to me! I've just clicked over 200 miles since Jan. 1, meanwhile my wife, Jo has only gotten 35 miles in that same time frame. On Sunday we did our first bit of "Hill training", basicly riding the "meanest" MUP here in Colorado Springs, nothing but long uphills, with tiny downhills and 10 miles long. Although she had to walk up some of the steepest hills, we headed back and once we got on the flats she wanted to "ride furhter"! We did a flat MUP to a Subways for lunch and back and she got her 20 miles in one day and she felt she really accomplished something! Small steps bringing rewards, that's one of the things I really enjoy about riding a bicycle!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)