Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really didn't expect to make it this far

Well, despite doing everything I could in my misspent youth and young adulthood to avoid it, I turned 50 on Tuesday. Now don't get me wrong, I "experienced life" quite a bit and enjoyed every minute of it and I'd probably do it all over again given the chance, but some of the things I did weren't exactly safe or sane choices. I did rock climbing, skydiving, motorcycle riding, and white water rafting. I ate too much, drank too much, smoked, and enjoyed some "alternative" intoxicants. Despite all that, here I am.

These days I'm pretty placid, relatively speaking. I enjoy woodworking and reading, as well as riding. I'm pretty much exclusively a transportation rider, commuting 18 miles each way, with 1500 feet of climbing on the way in and 1100 on the way home. The route takes me over downtown city streets, riding trails, and through suburbs. I ride a Bacchetta Giro 20 recumbent that's been outfitted as a daily commuter. Sometimes, in the summer, I'll do a century or so, but I don't usually plan them more than a couple of days in advance. I'm not fast and I don't wear fancy kit, but I get the job done eventually.

I didn't ride on my birthday because we had a snowstorm on Monday and there was still plenty of ice on the street on Tuesday. I did ride today, however. I hope the rules for the 50 don't require you ride it all at once. I did the first 18 on my way in and the other 32 on an extended ride home. If it makes any difference, the ride in was done in 25 degree temperatures.

Anyway, I've been mostly lurking here for a while and y'all seem like a pretty good group. Maybe we'll pass on the trails, eh?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the asylum. If it was me I'd work up some sort of formula. For starters try distance divided by temperature. This should provide a multiplier to determine total distance for bragging points (now known as BPD or Bragging Points Distance). Obviously, some here require other formula's to determine BPD but for that commute, it seems fair.

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at it this way... you are just a baby in here.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=115093&dateline=1207511414[/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't it Eubie Blake who said:

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, possible son!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard. Your courtesy gift pack of Geritol, super-absorbent Depends and senior citizen discount ID will be arriving in the mail shortly.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to 50+, Unixpro.

The Northwest Chapter of 50+ continues to grow. Unixpro is a helpful member of the Pacific Northwest forum as well, often helping newbs with commuting, weather and routing tips.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't expect to make it this far either, but I'm glad I did. It's been fun so far, even though I'm not old enough for the senior citizen discount yet . . . guess that starts at 60?

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    Welcome aboard. Your courtesy gift pack of Geritol, super-absorbent Depends and senior citizen discount ID will be arriving in the mail shortly.

Hey!! I didn't...

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the day I joined 50+......................................that's not true...............what was the question?

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    ...I'm not old enough for the senior citizen discount yet . . . guess that starts at 60?
    Rick / OCRR
    dependz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering that when humankind started the lifespan was 32 years, you and I are on borrowed time anyway, or so I have read.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Welcome, possible son!
    Sow some wild oats out Washington way?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpro View Post
    These days I'm pretty placid, relatively speaking. I enjoy woodworking and reading, as well as riding. I'm pretty much exclusively a transportation rider, commuting 18 miles each way, with 1500 feet of climbing on the way in and 1100 on the way home. The route takes me over downtown city streets, riding trails, and through suburbs. I ride a Bacchetta Giro 20 recumbent that's been outfitted as a daily commuter. Sometimes, in the summer, I'll do a century or so, but I don't usually plan them more than a couple of days in advance. I'm not fast and I don't wear fancy kit, but I get the job done eventually.
    Sounds like you get great enjoyment from riding. That's a lot of climbing for a medium distance commuter route. Able to maintain a reasonable speed on your bent? I know a lot of people like that particular recumbent.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm there too. Turned 50 and actually riding more and buying more bikes than I ever had. I am so into cycling that I can't wait for Saturdays for my 30 miler and day light savings to ride after work.
    I have 9 of them and need more.

- Basso Lotto: SLX steel frame, full campy record w/ delta brakes, immaculate condition.
    - IBEX Aprisa Team: 6061 Al. full Ultegra, Aksium wheels.
    - Tomasso Aggraziato: Full mono carbon fiber, Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix, neuvation wheels, Token parts. Awesome fast light bike.
    - Specialized Langster London Single speed.
    - Trek 1988 660s.
    - SWOBO Otis SRAM 3 speed, w/ avid bb5 frnt dsk.
    - Schwinn KOM S9: full Shimano XT, girven flex stem
    - Trek WS 7200
    - 2007 Jamis Dakar Xam 2.0: XTR/XT grp. MTB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Sow some wild oats out Washington way?

I'll never tell. Traveled a lot in those days!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:-)

Welcome to today. I am almost 61 and have been an insulin-dependent diabetic for 45 years. I am still going strong without major issues involving my heart, kidneys and lungs, BUT have noticed the demise of more and more "healthier" friends in the last few years :-(

I am quite surprised that I have lived as long as I have - and so have a LOT of physicians who look at longevity statistics for diabetics. So far, so good.

Enjoy every minute and don't put things off: if you can do them, then ... DO THEM - and that includes your "next" bicycle "adventure". There is no guarantee that we will last another 5 minutes ;-)

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I didn't expect to make it this far either, but I'm glad I did. It's been fun so far, even though I'm not old enough for the senior citizen discount yet . . . guess that starts at 60?

Rick / OCRR
    Rick... you get a reduced rate at Regal theaters at 55 and Denny's and other restaurants give you discounts at 55. Trust me I take all the disconts I can. There has to be something good from being this old!

Oh welcome unixpro!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    Rick... you get a reduced rate at Regal theaters at 55 and Denny's and other restaurants give you discounts at 55. Trust me I take all the disconts I can. There has to be something good from being this old!

Oh welcome unixpro!

Wendy's and Burger King 10%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're evidently trying to ensure you don't make it to 60.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post
    They're evidently trying to ensure you don't make it to 60.
    Why always a negative comment?

Wendy's - great salads, grilled chicken wraps, baked potato, chili

Burger King - well, they do have some salads!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why always a negative comment?

Wendy's - great salads, grilled chicken wraps, baked potato, chili

Burger King - well, they do have some salads!
    Don't know Wendy's but for a die hard that does not eat or like any fast food- Even I can take a Burger King.

At least it's not McD's
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    Suzie, wasn't there a pattern for sewing our Depends into our cycling shorts, too?

Road Fan

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really I didn't know... actually I seldom eat at either (my fast food choice is Chick-Fil-A or Del Taco). I get embarassed about asking for discounts but I guess I shouldn't.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club and a belated Happy Birthday. Many of us wonder how we ever survived as long as we have. I still haven't decided if we're "The Lucky Ones" or if those who didn't are. For now I'll assume that we are.

It's nice to have yet another 'bent rider among us, and one without all the fancy duds even.

I'll be looking foreward to more posts.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-13-09 at 02:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast