The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow is the day.

I make my trip to the Hospital to get the Arteries in both legs "Roto-Rooted".

Over the winter, I did a minor bit of riding on the trainer with little to no pain in my legs. However, this week, I've been out on the bike (Mon., Tues. & Wed.) for 6 mile rides and the left leg is in a total cramp by the time I'm done.

To give an idea of what it feels like. The cramp I get in my calves is very much like what you would get if
    you did a hard sprint on foot with no warm up or stretching. Those Mucscles need blood!!!!

I can hardly wait for next week when I will, hopefully, be able to ride with minimum leg pain and start to get those miles and speed up.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck Ed. Do we get before and after data and pictures?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now,which male 50+'er would want to see a picture of his legs,now Halle Barry's would be another question.
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 03-12-09 at 09:28 AM. Reason: early morning spelling fix

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this legal? Don't you end up bionic or something? Performance enhancement? Anyway, good luck.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do realise that you are going to miss the paraskevidekatriaphobia ride.

So what pie will you have in the recovery room?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed, are you getting roto-rootered by one of those SilverHawk devices? Removes the plaque rather than stenting? Good stuff, I tell, ya... Let us know how it goes.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    Ed, are you getting roto-rootered by one of those SilverHawk devices? Removes the plaque rather than stenting? Good stuff, I tell, ya... Let us know how it goes.
    Nope, no Silverhawk device. The Baloon (Angioplasty) + a Stent on the Left leg was done yesterday.

After a brief short walk today, the pain in the left leg is gone. However, because of the severe amount of pain in the left leg, I didn't realize how much pain I had in the right leg. Though it isn't nearly as bad.

I see the Vascular Surgeon on Thursday and we will talk about doing the right leg in a few weeks. More than likely the exact same treatment. I'm looking forward to that.

After the procedure yesterday, the Surgeon and I, along with my wife, had a discussion concerning what has happened. What I have is called PAD "Peripheral Artery Disease". Caused by High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Genetics and the number one most probable cause is 37 years of smoking cigarettes and nearly 65 years of being exposed to second hand smoke.

Of course I, along with just about every young person in the past and present world, thought I was bullet-proof and none of these horrible things would ever happen to me as a result of smoking. Smoking isn't all of it but I'm sure it played the biggest part in getting here.

Having said all of that.........

I cannot start riding again until next weekend. When I do start back it will be with vigor and purpose. I have a goal of 50 miles daily and, at least, a couple of centuries before the end of the year.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are on the mend!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad things went well. Here's to a quick recovery.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades