Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's ridden both Campy and Shimano?

All I've used has been Shimano. I have 3 bikes that I ride most of the time and they are all Shimano. I'm looking at replacing the bike I ride the most with a bike that has 2009 Campy Super Record 11 speed. I wouldn't be looking at that grouppo except the combination is one heck of a deal.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of Campy?

For those that have used both, how hard would it be to "remember" to switch back and forth between the two using the different shifting levers???? Is is comparable to always driving a vehicle with automatic but then jumping in and driving a vehicle with straight drive?? In other words would it be instinctive enough to where I didn't run over a guy ahead of me from having to think too much about it??

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have D/A. I have test ridden Campy Chorus for a couple of hours. The action of Campy seemed firmer and more positive and it has the ergo levers. D/A is a lighter action. I took off on the Campy equipped bike and rode with no problem.

If there is an issue, it is the compatibility with rear clusters. If you have a number of wheelsets set up with Shimano, when you exchange a Shimano rear wheel to a Campy bike, the rear der may need adjustment and it may not shift perfectly.

I have that situation right now. I borrowed a pair of wheels for the stage race this weekend. The shifting is okay but there is a spot where it just hangs a little. There was no way the mechanic could adjust away the problem. Good luck.
    Last edited by Hermes; 03-13-09 at 04:44 PM.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have old Campagnolo on some bikes and old SunTour on others, with a Shimano front derailleur on the Peugeot. I only occasionally reach down between my knees to shift my barcon-equipped bike, and I almost never reach for the ends of the handlebars to shift my other bikes. j

I do not trust myself, however, to swap between clipless and toeclip foot retention systems.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.velonews.com/article/73404

This is one of a group of articles and letters to the editor at Velo News Online about mixing and matching Shimano, SRAM and Campy. If you search forward and back around this time period in the coloumns by Leonard Zinn, you will find a lot of useful information.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-14-09 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bike with STI 9 and a couple with Campy Chorus 10, and like Hermes mentioned, the shifting "feel" is lighter with the Shimano, but, my preference is Campy even though my first experience with combo brake/shifters was with STI. I feel that the levers feel much more solid than the Shimano (comparing Ultegra w/ Chorus, btw, not DA), and you'll hear lots of people say that the Ergo levers wear in while the STI levers wear out. I've gone through two sets of STI levers in 12 years and one thing that really drives me nuts is rattling levers over bad pavement. I don't know if DA is better, but I hear they rattle, too.

Then there's other stuff like aesthetics; alloy levers vs. CF, exposed housing vs. hidden, and when a certain TdF racer was on a tear, the levers just really started looking hideous (at least in pics of this guy's bikes). They might as well have called them STI Antlers, or something....

So, anyway, YMMV, but you should at least try someone's bike with Campy and see if you might like it. Oh, and jumping back and forth between the two systems on a ride is a no-brainer

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you are getting Super Record 11. I suspect you will be limited to Campy freewheels and 11 cog cassettes. Not a bad place to be. I would go for the SR 11. I think you will love it over time.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may not help, but on a bike I bought 25 years ago, the Campy downtube shifters still work perfectly, as do the Suntour Superbe brakes. In those days, bike makers often mixed and matched parts from a wide range of manufacturers with impunity.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    ..., bike makers often mixed and matched parts from a wide range of manufacturers with impunity.
    And those were the days, too! I have a bike over at my in-laws' place; mid-80s vintage San Rensho, Campy Nuovo Record dt shifters, NR fd, NR rd (brev '72!), Stronglight 105 bis crankset, Galli POS brakes, Shimano aero brake levers, Shimano 600 hubs laced up to some 70s vintage wingnut Italian rims, w/ Suntour Ultra 7 fw, SR La Prade sp and SI Turbo saddle. Talk about a collection of parts, but, everything works and at the end of the day that's all that counts, right?

But back to the OP, give the new Campy 11 a spin and see what you think. Maybe even try the SRAM stuff, too, while you're at it, and let us know what you think. I'm too poor to buy anymore n+1 stuff, so I'll buy vicariously through you.

My Bikes
    Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last 2 builds have been one Campy Record and one Shimano Dura-Ace. The dura-ace is looser, less direct and not as adjustable. I like both but the campy is trimmable front and rear. You can bang gears like a manual transmission without a clutch. The Shimano seems like an old slip and slide automatic.

You can get used to either and will love it if it is adjusted properly. If you get the chance on the campy11, jump you sill enjoy it.
    Rubber Side Down Racing Team
    My Other Home:http://DonGaleHomes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...For those that have used both, how hard would it be to "remember" to switch back and forth between the two using the different shifting levers????.."

I have two road bikes with Campy record (10 speed, not the 11), and 2 road bikes with DA. Once your have ridden both systems for a bit, there is no problem going back and forth between them. Maybe the first shift on a ride you will mentally be on the other system, but you will get in the goove quickly. DA is a bit quicker/easier to shift than Campy, Campy a bit firmer and more definite. Both are just fine. One thing I like about the Campy levers is that you can pull the shift lever back toward the bars and shift it from that position. It is nice when in the drops and sometimes on the hoods. Not a big deal, just nice.
    Good luck, Mark

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned bikes with Shimano and bikes with Campy and bikes with both. I have ridden, but never owned bikes with STI or Ergo shifting. Campy components are well made and they work very nicely.

I have ridden STI, Ergo and SRAM Double Tap in the same day without any major problem remembering how to shift each one. I frequently switch between bikes with Rapid Fire and SRAM push levers, rarely forgetting what to do. It has been educational learning that some people are so challenged by changing shifter types, pedal types and whatever else. I think most of us are very adaptable, but some are obviously not.

I don't think you'll be able to find a 32 or 34 tooth cassette for the 11 speed Campy setup.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 03-13-09 at 07:16 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have Shimano Ultegra 9 triple on my bike and switched to Campy Chorus 10 triple. The adjustment was easy and intuitive, no issue there. What pleased me the most about Campy was the fine-tuning you can get from the front derailleur, a very useful function on a triple.
    I am now using a Campy Chorus 10 compact system and like it a lot.

I wouldn't hesitate going to Super Record 11, this has to be the nec plus ultra of the cycling world.
    The only issue that could be a worry to you is if you race and use the other Shimano bikes for training. Your mind might not have full Campy reflexes and that could cause some time loss during a sprint.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never ridden Campy, never had the opportunity actually, so I can't and won't comment on them.

What interests me are all the comments about being able to trim the front dr. I use Ultegra 9 speed with a triple - that has two positions for the front dr on the middle ring and to be honest, it's not often I have to select between the two positions (you can adjust the front dr so you don't need them). What is it about Campy that makes that trim function necessary or more necessary than Shimano?

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think even if you were very meticulous about your fd setup, you're going to eventually run up against the big-big or small-small combo and introduce bad chainline into the equation (made even worse with a triple). What I've noticed with my bikes is Shimano will trim one half-click, whereas Campy trims two. So I can typically get rid of the chain rub with trim on the Campy, but I'm likely to be left with an annoying rub at one extreme or the other on my STI bike. The other thing too, if it matters, is that you can dump virtually the full range of cogs with one sweep on Campy Ergo (not sure with the 11, tho'), whereas STI will go 2-3. I usually don't dump that many gears at once, so that feature doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but, I suppose if you were racing it'd be more of an asset.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Manner View Post
    "...For those that have used both, how hard would it be to "remember" to switch back and forth between the two using the different shifting levers????.."

I have two road bikes with Campy record (10 speed, not the 11), and 2 road bikes with DA. Once your have ridden both systems for a bit, there is no problem going back and forth between them. Maybe the first shift on a ride you will mentally be on the other system, but you will get in the goove quickly. DA is a bit quicker/easier to shift than Campy, Campy a bit firmer and more definite. Both are just fine. One thing I like about the Campy levers is that you can pull the shift lever back toward the bars and shift it from that position. It is nice when in the drops and sometimes on the hoods. Not a big deal, just nice.
    Good luck, Mark
    I too have campy shimano mixed. FWIW - I'd choose campy over shimano anytime.

Also wish you luck!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only concern with having two different groupsets would be interchangability of the stock of spares I already have. Boreas and the TCR are both similar setups and I know I can swop parts at will. In practice the only bits I do change round are the wheels but in the spares box are Front and rear deraillers that are there just in case I need them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I have old Campagnolo on some bikes and old SunTour on others, with a Shimano front derailleur on the Peugeot. I only occasionally reach down between my knees to shift my barcon-equipped bike, and I almost never reach for the ends of the handlebars to shift my other bikes. j

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    ...Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of Campy?

For those that have used both, how hard would it be to "remember" to switch back and forth between the two...????
    So what happens when you mix the two? And build a Campagmano/Shimagnolo bike?

All kinds of fun!!!!!

JPPE, I ride bikes with downtube, barend, stem, brifter, gripshift, and trigger shifting. How's that old song go? "Love the one your with!" You'll do fine!!!!

BTW, that's a Suntour freewheel on the back, so I suppose this is a Campmantour bike! Or would that be SunnyCampyMano bike?
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
    :BTW, that's a Suntour freewheel on the back, so I suppose this is a Campmantour bike! Or would that be SunnyCampyMano bike?
    Yeah, but it's a steel framed bike and as we all know, once you're riding steel, the world is perfect and all the problems that frames sourced from petrochemicals and old coke cans disappear

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone. What you've outlined echoes what I'm hearing from others but I appreciate your unbiased and more balanced opinions!!

A little more to the story-you probably recall a year ago I had this little stash of money and was debating my last and hopefully final "dream bike". I also want to resize one of my road bikes to a smaller size.

Well, as some of you suggested I've held on to the stash and am searching, studying etc and waiting until something felt right. I've come across a pretty good deal on a 2008 frameset that would include the Super Record 11 gruppo. It's in the color and style that I wanted and a pretty good price. I've also recently been able to even add a little to the stash to make it stash+. So I'm also looking at resizing and upgrading my TT bike. I think I've decided on the Cervelo P2C where you can now get a complete bike from under $3k.....So maybe we're talking N+2??????

My original intent was to look for a frameset where I could move my DA 7800 10sp stuff over too before this latest deal came into the mix. I'm intrigued by the Campy and while I keep saying I'm not a weight weenie alcholic's probably say they don't have to drink as well.......

You've helped to set my mind at ease on using Campy-although I'm sure there will be a time when I'm in a faster group than I belong, I'm anerobic and need to shift to a harder gear and only find myself pushing the wrong lever......I think I can live with that! The same will probably happen on a 100 mile ride in the Carolina mountains when I'm brain dead from 5+ hours in the saddle on a warm summer afternoon. I can live with that too!!

I debated the issue of having different components and I guess I'm already there with having one bike 10sp and the other 9sp. The only thing I've swapped between the bikes is a rear wheel and I can overcome that as well.

BG-I'd leave the setup on my 5900 like it is with the long cage RD and continue to use the 5900 in the mountains.......although this new setup will probably be even lighter and very tempting to move things around..........The new bike would probably have a 53/39 as that is what I currently use on the Madone which I ride most of the time. However that is another decision I'll have to make in all this as well. I was thinking campy had a 28 but I did not see it in their 11 speed cassettes and if I could do a 50/34 and a 28 that could get me by most of the climbing I do.......

The biggest thing I'm wrestling with right now is the frame warranty. I really like the warranties I've had on past framesets and unfortunately this one is only a couple years............we'll see where all this leads.

My Bikes
    A few treks, 3Rensho, Atlantis & Single Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For crying out loud, build one bike with campy and one with shimano, of equal value of course, and make up your own mind. I have several bikes with both, and each has it's own blessings and detriments. If I had to build a new bike, it would be Campy all the way.

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windswept_one View Post
    For crying out loud, build one bike with campy and one with shimano, of equal value of course, and make up your own mind. I have several bikes with both, and each has it's own blessings and detriments. If I had to build a new bike, it would be Campy all the way.
    Amen!
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Shimano 105 & Ultegra drivetrains on both my road bikes. After test-riding a Campy bike I discovered how much more I liked the Ergo shifters for their feel, anatomics, and comfort. I also preferred the front microclicks, thumb trigger, and hidden cables. A J-tek Shiftmate solved the problem of mating Campy shifters to otherwise Shimano drivetrain. Shifting quality is not compromised a bit. My next bike (this year) will be full Campy.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    ...-although I'm sure there will be a time when I'm in a faster group than I belong, I'm anerobic and need to shift to a harder gear and only find myself pushing the wrong lever.......
    It won't happen because the universal truth is that the small lever (or thumb lever, whatever you want to call it) on both the STI and Ergo shifts the chain to a smaller cog, and the big lever shifts to a larger cog. If you can remember small-small and big-big, then you have no worries about either of these shifting systems. SRAM, on the other hand...

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another minor point...I seem to recall that Campy 11 has issues with some frames. This is in the back of my mind so it may be BS but check it out.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Campag 10-sp (Centaur, Record) w/ Ergo on two bikes and Shimano w/ bar ends on 2 others.

I prefer Campag overall, for reasons expressed by others here. I recently had the Centaur shifters rebuilt.
    VeloWeb | VeloWebLog

"The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind." ~William Saroyan