Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best laid plans----

Despite having it all arranged to take a "New" rider out yesterday morning- it didn't come to anything. So there was still time for a ride in the afternoon

1 pm and the neighbour came round. An Old boy of 80 that is blind and he had a problem with his downstairs loo. It was blocked. I decided to investigate and not only was his loo blocked- so were his drains. As his drains lead into mine- I thought I had better do something about it so time to call on the neighbours for help. They took one look and heaved and I didn't see them again. So on with clothes that can be burnt afterwards and 2 hours later his loo was unblocked.

So onto a ride this morning. Remember that "New" grand daughter I have- well my Brother-in-law was coming down to visit so I put off the ride till late in the morning. Haven't seen him for about 6 months so I have to do my family duties. He was supposed to get to my daughters at 10 so I rode round there all prepared to see him and go. He turned up at 12 and once the formalities were done with- I decided to get going- except someone had made cake. in fact 3 of them so delay a bit-------I eventually got riding at 1pm with a full stomach.

Now a Sunday ride round our lanes is normally very peaceful. Few cars- the odd cyclist and possibly a few horses so quite enjoyable. However you get away 4 hours later- and it is bedlam. Our lanes are very scenic so imagine a load of tourists in cars that can't drive on anything less than a 4 lane carriageway and they are now driving a 5ft wide car down a 10ft wide road with lots of bends in it and cars are coming the other way. Then the horses- I give them plenty of room as they are bigger than me- but car drivers going past them at 40mph and there is going to be a problem.

Then I got down onto the Seafront and More of those cars again- going nowhere and all looking for car parking spaces. Of which there are none as the local residents have already taken the lot. Got to the cafe and I always sit outside. Got my coffee and Today it was Apple pie and Ice cream as it was a warm day. No seats outside so sat on the steps of the fountain that is nearby. It was quite entertaining really watching 60 people waiting for vacant seats outside the cafe.

By this time I had had enough of roads so took a chance and took the MUP home. It was chancing it a bit as it was a fantastic sunny day and temp up around 50F. Boy was that MUP crowded. Plenty of dogs- plenty of kids and plenty of Deaf family groups not interested in giving way to an old bloke on a bike.-Till the request went out "What side do you want the tyre Marks".

Eventually I got home and the wife asked me if Had a nice ride.

We are not talking to each other now due to the response I gave.

Edit-Taken earlier in the year but pic attached of the steps of the fountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-15-09 at 01:38 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man plans. God laughs.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Despite having it all arranged to take a "New" rider out yesterday morning- it didn't come to anything. So there was still time for a ride in the afternoon

1 pm and the neighbour came round. An Old boy of 80 that is blind and he had a problem with his downstairs loo. It was blocked. I decided to investigate and not only was his loo blocked- so were his drains. As his drains lead into mine- I thought I had better do something about it so time to call on the neighbours for help. They took one look and heaved and I didn't see them again. So on with clothes that can be burnt afterwards and 2 hours later his loo was unblocked.

So onto a ride this morning. Remember that "New" grand daughter I have- well my Brother-in-law was coming down to visit so I put off the ride till late in the morning. Haven't seen him for about 6 months so I have to do my family duties. He was supposed to get to my daughters at 10 so I rode round there all prepared to see him and go. He turned up at 12 and once the formalities were done with- I decided to get going- except someone had made cake. in fact 3 of them so delay a bit-------I eventually got riding at 1pm with a full stomach.

Now a Sunday ride round our lanes is normally very peaceful. Few cars- the odd cyclist and possibly a few horses so quite enjoyable. However you get away 4 hours later- and it is bedlam. Our lanes are very scenic so imagine a load of tourists in cars that can't drive on anything less than a 4 lane carriageway and they are now driving a 5ft wide car down a 10ft wide road with lots of bends in it and cars are coming the other way. Then the horses- I give them plenty of room as they are bigger than me- but car drivers going past them at 40mph and there is going to be a problem.

Then I got down onto the Seafront and More of those cars again- going nowhere and all looking for car parking spaces. Of which there are none as the local residents have already taken the lot. Got to the cafe and I always sit outside. Got my coffee and Today it was Apple pie and Ice cream as it was a warm day. No seats outside so sat on the steps of the fountain that is nearby. It was quite entertaining really watching 60 people waiting for vacant seats outside the cafe.

By this time I had had enough of roads so took a chance and took the MUP home. It was chancing it a bit as it was a fantastic sunny day and temp up around 50F. Boy was that MUP crowded. Plenty of dogs- plenty of kids and plenty of Deaf family groups not interested in giving way to an old bloke on a bike.-Till the request went out "What side do you want the tyre Marks".

Eventually I got home and the wife asked me if Had a nice ride.

We are not talking to each other now due to the response I gave.

Edit-Taken earlier in the year but pic attached of the steps of the fountain.

It sounds like this "odd cyclist" is a local? It wasn't a total loss. Pie and ice cream, people to watch and a day that started with a good deed. Nice job.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you had pie, and now a very quiet evening I suspect.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a good neighbor!

Glad you got to ride.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    You're a good neighbor! Glad you got to ride.
    Absolutely right doctor! Some things are more important than a bike ride, and stapfam has his priorities straight. I would have done (almost) the same thing except I know nothing about pumbing, so I would have called a plumber . . . then gone for a ride.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to determine if you are telling us about a very interesting day, or complaining about something?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple pie, ice cream and 3 types of cake - all in one day.

Sounds like a GREAT ride to me!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter and I have become big fans of Kipper the Dog, which is neither here nor there except that Kipper is British.