Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ SoCal bikeforums.net Ride Mar.22, 2009

I started out by sending PM's to all of the known (to me) 50+ SoCal bikeforumites, but then I thought, "Whoa, what if there are lurkers, or riders I've missed?" They should be invited too!

Where: San Gabriel River Trail (that's a MUP) aka: SGRT
    Yeah, but exactly where? Oh, the bridge at the intersection of the SGRT and the Coyote Creek MUP, about four miles inland from Seal Beach. The bridge spans the river, you can't miss it.

When: Sun. March 22nd at 9:00 AM meet, greet and depart about 9:15 AM.

So far, we have:

alicestrong
    Mr. Beanz (not quite 50, but close enough)
    Condorita
    big john (maybe)
    Pamestique (probably, I sure hope so!)
    Yen (maybe w/Mister Yen)

Sent PM's but have had no reply from:
    roadfix (George)
    Robert Foster

Fixed Gear bikes: Ride 'em if yah Got 'em,
    50+ kit, wear it if you got it!

Condorita is looking for a good place for a pie stop . Will advise.

Will ride inland on the SGRT until we get tired and decide to turn back, but I'm thinking about 20 miles max. I've never been that way, so it will be a new experience for me.

Any other SoCal 50+ forumites like to join us? You are welcome to!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooo. I'm sorry I will miss this one. I'd almost come down from NorCal to do it, if I could. I have ridden this MUP and it goes on forever. It's interesting if you haven't ridden it every day for a year. Whe I rode it, my wife dropped me off at the beginning, I rode inland, then returned all the way down to Newport Coast. Be sure to post pictures. Here's me in 2007 on the Seal Beach Pier.

Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry folks, I work Sundays all day so I can't join you all for this ride. That's the downside of running a family business. I miss a lot of fun weekend rides....
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Condorita is looking for a good place for a pie stop
    I'm here at work with the map program, and there just isn't a lot along the SGRT. So much of it is industrial, especially when you get up around the dam and your options really fall off then, right into the quarries! :lol

Denny's at Slauson; Subway around Washington and Norwalk; a few options, mostly fast food, at Telegraph. But I'll keep looking.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for looking Condi, and I think they do have pie at Denny's . . . or whatever, but you're right, it's hard to find a good pie cafe in a quarry!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, thanks for the invite. But it's the wrong way for me after doing Solvang the day before.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, so like I don't know the area very well so like, where do we park? I've been to Seal Beach from the top of the trail but never started from that end. Is there a convenient parking place near the start?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a park in Cerritos, that you can get to off of Bloomfield, that is just a few miles inland from the start bridge. Lots of parking there. It's on the Coyote Creek MUP, so you would take the Coyote Creek south (towards the ocean) to the start bridge from that park.

I'll check on Google Earth and get you the coordinates for the park, but the park boarders on the Coyote Creek MUP.

Rick / OCRR

Edit to add: The park has Bloomfield on the East, Coyote Creek MUP on the West, 195th Street to the North and Del Amo / La Palma on the South.

coordinates for Google Earth: 33 Deg. 50' 35" North, 118 Deg. 03' 26.31" West
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-17-09 at 09:23 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    Rick, thanks for the invite. But it's the wrong way for me after doing Solvang the day before.
    But wait, Dante . . . The Solvang Double is March 28th, so that would give you plenty of time for this ride which is the 22nd.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    But wait, Dante . . . The Solvang Double is March 28th, so that would give you plenty of time for this ride which is the 22nd.

Rick / OCRR
    I woke at 2 this morning and realized I had the wrong date, oh do I hope I have the right date for my hotel room in Buellton. I was looking at driving time to the start 2.5-3 hours. So let's see, that means leaving home by 6AM to just make the parking lot, better leave by 5-5:30. Wake time 4AM, . Thanks for the invite, but........Hope everyone has fun, keep me in the loop.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cerritos Regional Park at 195th and Bloomfield, right off of Del Amo (just north of the Target at Del Amo and Bloomfield). Access Coyote Creek from Del Amo or the gate where Shoemaker and 195th curve into each other, on the east side of the park. Free.

Liberty Park, on Studebaker between South St and Del Amo, right up against SGRT. This is the park with the bathrooms and drinking fountain just inside the south gate, near the track. Free. This is my base for any rides I take on SGRT.

Rynerson Park, also on Studebaker, south of Del Amo, also right up against SGRT. Access to the trail is via a wooden bridge over the horse trail. Free.

Pay parking at El Dorado Regional Park. The Nature Center is just north of the Coyote Creek/SGRT junction.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks Condorita!

You know the area lots better than I do, so now Mr. Beanz has lots of places to park!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well sadly I'm out!..........The daughter is coming in from AZ with the Grandkids this weekend. We'll be doing breakfast before she leaves Sunday morning. If I miss it, I will be disowned!

Sorry guys!

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't look like I'll be recovered enough to ride by this weekend, either.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of all the bail-outs (lot of that going around!), but I'll be there regardless!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The five-day on my Google homepage is showing rain in the forecast. But it'll have to be raining to keep me from riding. Threats don't count.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Well sadly I'm out!..........The daughter is coming in from AZ with the Grandkids this weekend. We'll be doing breakfast before she leaves Sunday morning. If I miss it, I will be disowned!

Sorry guys!
    Where does your daughter live in AZ, Mr. Beanz? You can certainly answer in PM if you dont wish to in the open forum.

I will be in the LA area on Mar 28, but wont have my bike.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Sorry to hear of all the bail-outs (lot of that going around!), but I'll be there regardless!

Rick / OCRR

I definitely would like a "rain check", Rick...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    I definitely would like a "rain check", Rick...
    Sure Alice,

No problem. And speaking of rain, I heard a prediction for rain on Sunday, but I have a rain jacket, so whatever!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    Where does your daughter live in AZ, Mr. Beanz? You can certainly answer in PM if you dont wish to in the open forum.

I will be in the LA area on Mar 28, but wont have my bike.
    She's now in Chandler after a couple of years in Levine. My parents moved out to Tucson in 95'ish(?). There was NUTHIN' out there. Last time I was there maybe a year ago, there were houses and buildings everywhere before hitting Phoenix (Goodyear area). It's grown a bunch!

Parent are now back in Cali. I guess they missed me too much!

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    She's now in Chandler after a couple of years in Levine. My parents moved out to Tucson in 95'ish(?). There was NUTHIN' out there. Last time I was there maybe a year ago, there were houses and buildings everywhere before hitting Phoenix (Goodyear area). It's grown a bunch!

Parent are now back in Cali. I guess they missed me too much!
    She does not live too close to us then. I am in north Phoenix.. only 10 miles south of Carefree Highway.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had originally planned to crash the ride. Had my wife convinced that a 190 mile R/T drive was reasonable for a 20 mile ride and she was getting close to coming along. Then, POP! I was wrapping my wife's B-day present (tomorrow is her 49th) and twisted wrong. Haven't thrown my back out for over a decade and had forgotten how debilitating it is. Anyway, I've been alternating between the chiropractor and flat on my back since Tuesday. Decided to try riding today but only managed 5 miles (when I admitted this to my wife she said it confirmed her worst fears about my dedication to riding). Mounting the bike was the worst part. Actually, DISmounting was he worst part. Had to kind of lay the bike down as I couldn't swing my leg over. Hopefully you'll put another ride together in the future that I can crash. Have a great ride and know that I really wish I was with you all.

My Bikes
    Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey...keep me on the list....cant do it this time...but next time!!
    Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    I had originally planned to crash the ride. Had my wife convinced that a 190 mile R/T drive was reasonable for a 20 mile ride and she was getting close to coming along.
    Hi CACycling,

Sorry about your back! It's been maybe 15 years since I did that, and I hope its a lot longer before I do it again! And yes, feel free to crash the ride (Note: Different from crashing ON the ride ) next time. Not sure where / where exactly next time will be yet, but watch this forum!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herbm View Post
    Hey...keep me on the list....cant do it this time...but next time!!
    Hi Herb,

Yes, will do! And be sure to join us if your plans change / allow.

Rick / OCRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast