Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-09, 04:55 PM   #1
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What were they thinking?

Bikes are small critters and often don't trigger the traffic light sensors at intersections leaving the poor cyclist facing a red light with no traffic in the intersection. To get around this, many major intersections provide a button for the cyclist to hit, just like the button used to activate the pedestrian crossing - it even has a cute little push bike symbol on it.

A lot of pedestrian crossings have been set up to help the blind - that button makes different noises depending on what part of the cycle it's in.

I pulled up at an intersection recently, and the 'cyclist' button, complete with dinky little push bike symbol, was one of the noisy 'blind' buttons.

Mind you, the way some people ride their bikes, you could be forgiven for imagining that many cyclists are blind.

Richard
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 09:47 PM   #2
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20
I've never heard of anything like this. Are you saying that the button is somehow in the road? That would be very cool. Do you have any pictures?
unixpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 12:12 AM   #3
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixpro View Post
I've never heard of anything like this. Are you saying that the button is somehow in the road? That would be very cool. Do you have any pictures?
You mean we've got something you lot haven't?

It's just a big button on a post. Same as you get for pedestrian crossings only in this case, it's labelled with a push bike and when you press the button, the traffic lights turn green for you. It's designed to get around the problem of push bikes not triggering the sensors in the road.

Richard
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 06:04 AM   #4
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
A new traffic light sensor near my home now triggers perfectly... it has some sort of video detector, and it triggers so well, I get green lights just as I approach the stop lines.

It is great.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 06:16 AM   #5
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5
Sort of bring up the question of "Why is there Braille on the drive up ATM machines."

However, it's not news to most cyclists that many drivers are blind.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Ed in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 07:07 AM   #6
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in GA View Post
Sort of bring up the question of "Why is there Braille on the drive up ATM machines."
Why manufacture and stock two separate sets of parts?

Once you have the tooling to make the first one, the subsequent parts are very cheap to manufacture. If you're buying small replacement parts most of what you pay is inventory and distribution rather than the part itself. Making all of the buttons braille probably reduces the cost of replacement parts by almost half.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 08:04 AM   #7
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We have those buttons on posts in SoCal, but sans the cute little bike logo. They work well and are easy to reach without having to go up on the sidewalk (like you have to do with the ped buttons).

Side note, kinda O.T. it's interesting that the British and Australians refer to bicycles as "push bikes" rather than bicycles. As I understand it, this "push" makes them separate from "motor bikes" but I wonder why "push" instead of pedal, or simply "bicycle" as used in the U.S.? Maybe because motor bikes have brake pedals?

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 10:20 AM   #8
overthehillmedi

Bikes:
RE;push versus pedal, I believe if one looks up the history of bicycling you would find illustrations of various bicycle styled contraptions that were walked and or pushed.The Brits were just to lazy to change the nomiculture of the device so ergo "push bike".The Aussies just follwed suit not knowing any better.

overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 10:47 AM   #9
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
RE;push versus pedal, I believe if one looks up the history of bicycling you would find illustrations of various bicycle styled contraptions that were walked and or pushed.The Brits were just to lazy to change the nomiculture of the device so ergo "push bike".The Aussies just follwed suit not knowing any better.
Yes, we must find a way to force the brits to abandon this obsolete colloquialism. The term push-bike should be applied to draisiennes only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 11:02 AM   #10
NOS88

Bikes:
It actually makes a bit of sense to me. If I pull up to an intersection I might not immediately see the push button, but the annoying sound will enhance the possibility of finding it sooner than later. But in terms of what they were thinining, I don't have any idea.
Old 03-18-09, 09:00 PM   #11
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
US Congress must have designed it.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 09:56 AM   #12
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
US Congress must have designed it.
Huh. I was thinking that this must have been a DOD project.
unixpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 11:41 AM   #13
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
You mean we've got something you lot haven't?

It's just a big button on a post. Same as you get for pedestrian crossings only in this case, it's labelled with a push bike and when you press the button, the traffic lights turn green for you. It's designed to get around the problem of push bikes not triggering the sensors in the road.

Richard
I have never seen anything like that in central FL. The sensors often do not pick up bikes. So it is wait for a car to trigger the light. Or you can go over and hit the pedestrian steet crossing button (which usually does not exist). Or you can wait for the traffic to clear and go.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 11:51 AM   #14
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Even if the light goes green, someone is going to try to run you over in the middle of the intersection.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 01:03 PM   #15
Ed in GA

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Why manufacture and stock two separate sets of parts?

Once you have the tooling to make the first one, the subsequent parts are very cheap to manufacture. If you're buying small replacement parts most of what you pay is inventory and distribution rather than the part itself. Making all of the buttons braille probably reduces the cost of replacement parts by almost half.

My comment was kind of "tongue in Cheek".

Of course I understand "standardized parts".
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 03-19-09, 01:30 PM   #16
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
[QUOTE=Ed in GA;8550976]Sort of bring up the question of "Why is there Braille on the drive up ATM machines."

Or locks on 24 Hour Stores?
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 01:33 PM   #17
Ed in GA

[QUOTE=Timtruro;8560418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in GA View Post

That too!

Old 03-19-09, 01:49 PM   #18
charmed

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
I remember the story from a waitress at one of two 24 hour/7 day a week diner in a nearby town. The other diner was a chain, and for the first time ever, the whole chain was going to close for Christmas. It ended up costing them several days profits to come in and add locks to all the diners. And then some number managed to lose the key before the following Christmas, and they had to do it again.

(The waitress also confessed that she loved working Christmas, as everyone was in a happy mood. New Years day however, with the hung over patrons was an entirely different story. )
charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 02:11 PM   #19
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
If I can't get to the button from my position in the traffic lane, I ain't gonna use it. True story from a few years ago:

I went to the City's traffic engineer and complained, "the light at 'x' and 'y' doesn't trip for my bike. Yesterday I waited through two cycles of the light a block down, then finally had to treat the light as a 4-way stop."

Traffic engineer said, "just press the pedestrian button."

I responded, "that would mean taking my 750cc motorcycle onto the sidewalk." (The intersection in question had a school and a daycare center on opposite corners.)

Sensor was fixed the next day, and thereafter it worked for my bicycle too.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote