Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were they thinking?

Bikes are small critters and often don't trigger the traffic light sensors at intersections leaving the poor cyclist facing a red light with no traffic in the intersection. To get around this, many major intersections provide a button for the cyclist to hit, just like the button used to activate the pedestrian crossing - it even has a cute little push bike symbol on it.

A lot of pedestrian crossings have been set up to help the blind - that button makes different noises depending on what part of the cycle it's in.

I pulled up at an intersection recently, and the 'cyclist' button, complete with dinky little push bike symbol, was one of the noisy 'blind' buttons.

Mind you, the way some people ride their bikes, you could be forgiven for imagining that many cyclists are blind.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of anything like this. Are you saying that the button is somehow in the road? That would be very cool. Do you have any pictures?

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpro View Post
    I've never heard of anything like this. Are you saying that the button is somehow in the road? That would be very cool. Do you have any pictures?
    You mean we've got something you lot haven't?

It's just a big button on a post. Same as you get for pedestrian crossings only in this case, it's labelled with a push bike and when you press the button, the traffic lights turn green for you. It's designed to get around the problem of push bikes not triggering the sensors in the road.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new traffic light sensor near my home now triggers perfectly... it has some sort of video detector, and it triggers so well, I get green lights just as I approach the stop lines.

It is great.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of bring up the question of "Why is there Braille on the drive up ATM machines."

However, it's not news to most cyclists that many drivers are blind.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in GA View Post
    Sort of bring up the question of "Why is there Braille on the drive up ATM machines."
    Why manufacture and stock two separate sets of parts?

Once you have the tooling to make the first one, the subsequent parts are very cheap to manufacture. If you're buying small replacement parts most of what you pay is inventory and distribution rather than the part itself. Making all of the buttons braille probably reduces the cost of replacement parts by almost half.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have those buttons on posts in SoCal, but sans the cute little bike logo. They work well and are easy to reach without having to go up on the sidewalk (like you have to do with the ped buttons).

Side note, kinda O.T. it's interesting that the British and Australians refer to bicycles as "push bikes" rather than bicycles. As I understand it, this "push" makes them separate from "motor bikes" but I wonder why "push" instead of pedal, or simply "bicycle" as used in the U.S.? Maybe because motor bikes have brake pedals?

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE;push versus pedal, I believe if one looks up the history of bicycling you would find illustrations of various bicycle styled contraptions that were walked and or pushed.The Brits were just to lazy to change the nomiculture of the device so ergo "push bike".The Aussies just follwed suit not knowing any better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    RE;push versus pedal, I believe if one looks up the history of bicycling you would find illustrations of various bicycle styled contraptions that were walked and or pushed.The Brits were just to lazy to change the nomiculture of the device so ergo "push bike".The Aussies just follwed suit not knowing any better.
    Yes, we must find a way to force the brits to abandon this obsolete colloquialism. The term push-bike should be applied to draisiennes only.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually makes a bit of sense to me. If I pull up to an intersection I might not immediately see the push button, but the annoying sound will enhance the possibility of finding it sooner than later. But in terms of what they were thinining, I don't have any idea.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US Congress must have designed it.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    US Congress must have designed it.
    Huh. I was thinking that this must have been a DOD project.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    You mean we've got something you lot haven't?

It's just a big button on a post. Same as you get for pedestrian crossings only in this case, it's labelled with a push bike and when you press the button, the traffic lights turn green for you. It's designed to get around the problem of push bikes not triggering the sensors in the road.

Richard
    I have never seen anything like that in central FL. The sensors often do not pick up bikes. So it is wait for a car to trigger the light. Or you can go over and hit the pedestrian steet crossing button (which usually does not exist). Or you can wait for the traffic to clear and go.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even if the light goes green, someone is going to try to run you over in the middle of the intersection.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Why manufacture and stock two separate sets of parts?

Once you have the tooling to make the first one, the subsequent parts are very cheap to manufacture. If you're buying small replacement parts most of what you pay is inventory and distribution rather than the part itself. Making all of the buttons braille probably reduces the cost of replacement parts by almost half.

My comment was kind of "tongue in Cheek".

Of course I understand "standardized parts".
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Ed in GA;8550976]Sort of bring up the question of "Why is there Braille on the drive up ATM machines."

Or locks on 24 Hour Stores?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Timtruro;8560418]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in GA View Post

That too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    I remember the story from a waitress at one of two 24 hour/7 day a week diner in a nearby town. The other diner was a chain, and for the first time ever, the whole chain was going to close for Christmas. It ended up costing them several days profits to come in and add locks to all the diners. And then some number managed to lose the key before the following Christmas, and they had to do it again.

(The waitress also confessed that she loved working Christmas, as everyone was in a happy mood. New Years day however, with the hung over patrons was an entirely different story. )

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can't get to the button from my position in the traffic lane, I ain't gonna use it. True story from a few years ago:

I went to the City's traffic engineer and complained, "the light at 'x' and 'y' doesn't trip for my bike. Yesterday I waited through two cycles of the light a block down, then finally had to treat the light as a 4-way stop."

Traffic engineer said, "just press the pedestrian button."

I responded, "that would mean taking my 750cc motorcycle onto the sidewalk." (The intersection in question had a school and a daycare center on opposite corners.)

Sensor was fixed the next day, and thereafter it worked for my bicycle too.