Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DT Swiss RR 1450 Mon Chasserale wheelset

Anyone in the 50+ crowd have experience with either the DT Swiss RR 1450 Mon Chasserale wheel set or the standard DT Swiss RR 1450 wheels? I'm pondering replacing my Rolf Vector Pro wheels that are now almost 15 years old with these wheels. Not wishing to start the usual "gunfight" on the Road forum, I thought perhaps one of our number might be able to provide some insight. Any feedback is appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My application is long distance riding on a steel Gunnar Sport or a CF Specialized Roubiax. I considered the DT Swiss mon Chasseral wheelset but ended up building up 32-spoke, 3x wheels with DT Swiss RR1.1, double-walled rims, 240S hubs and Revolution spokes non-drive and Competition spokes on the rear drive side. They are quite light and very sturdy.

In comparison, at about 1600g they are lighter than my hand-built Ultegra hub/Velocity Aerohead rim wheelset by about 120g (mainly because the DT rear hub is so much lighter but also the Ultegra/Velocity set is 36 spoke). The DT Swiss seem to give a stiffer ride...Perhaps the rims are stiffer (they weigh slightly more). On the stand the Ultegra's spin well. The DT Swiss hubs spin forever. The Ultegra's are silent and the DT's make a light racheting sound. I also have the RWS Road Titan quick release axles which I do like better than the more common cam release style...I wonder why this design hasn't caught on more.

I am very satisfied with these wheels and they have been reliable riding in the dark and taking a few hits from rocks during winter riding. In my riding group I think I am the only one with a DT Swiss wheelset and so have only my own experience to go by but I will certainly recommend them.