Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Pics of my new Jamis Aurora Elite (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/521363-pics-my-new-jamis-aurora-elite.html)

ecrider 03-17-09 07:49 PM

Pics of my new Jamis Aurora Elite

4 Attachment(s)
Recently, I bought a new Jamis Aurora Elite touring bike and I was so excited. I took it home and my wife said, "That's nice. Be sure to give me the receipt." That was it.

That's why I'm turning to you guys. I know you understand. This bike is a thing a beauty. A work of art. And it's rapidly becoming my best friend. I thought I'd share some photos with you.

Louis 03-17-09 08:14 PM

Oh yeah! :thumb: Good choice. Give us some info so we can enjoy it even more,

BengeBoy 03-17-09 08:18 PM

I love that bike! I really like the changes they made for 2009, with the steel fork and the new geometry. I think it's a terrific value as well -- I've looked at it at the bike shop and also was just admiring one at the Seattle Bike Expo last weekend.

Congratulations, would love to hear more about it.

billydonn 03-17-09 08:21 PM

:thumb: And a few more pics would be nice... don't be shy!

BluesDawg 03-17-09 09:31 PM

Looks like a nice bike. Do you plan to load it up for touring? What is the little box under the rear of the top tube?

BengeBoy, where are your pictures from the Seattle Bike Expo?

BengeBoy 03-17-09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 8549837)

I'm embarrassed to say that I took my camera and totally forgot to use it.

I do have this picture of a new carbon-tubed bike with an 11-speed Campy group that was at the show; this bike was built by Bill Davidson and is on his webpage (www.davidsonbicycles.com). Bill also had a lugged steel touring bike; a new steel frame built of Reynolds 953 w/hand-carved lugs; and a SS/FG with a Gates carbon belt drive (no chain).

http://i40.tinypic.com/10p388k.jpg

It was a great show; there's a thread about it in the PNW forum.

ecrider 03-17-09 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 8549397)
I love that bike! I really like the changes they made for 2009, with the steel fork and the new geometry. I think it's a terrific value as well -- I've looked at it at the bike shop and also was just admiring one at the Seattle Bike Expo last weekend.

Congratulations, would love to hear more about it.

They really made over the bike for 2009 and shaved off about three pounds, although it still weighs in at about 23 pounds. However, I bought the bike more for comfortable rides than racing -- or touring for that matter. What appealed to me was the relaxed geometry and steel frame. We have a nice stretch of road along the bayfront that is as rough as a cob in the bike lane. However, the steel really dampens the road chatter. I like the ergonomic drops and use them more than I used the traditional drops on my other road bike. There are a lot of hand positions I can use on the bars to combat fatigue.

I was concerned about the 32c tires but they don't seem too slow, although I'll probably switch them out for a thinner road tire next time around. That brings me to another point, Jamis technicians were very helpful. I went back and forth with questions via email and over the phone and they responded with lengthy emails. The Jamis tech told me not to go below a 28 tire because I'd sacrifice comfort, which is what the bike is about.

Aesthetically, I really like the glossy black color and the traditional frame. As far as value, that's the best news. My LBS gave me a good discount, which made it a great buy. He offered to get me a 2008 at a better price, but it's really a different bike altogether. The combination of new features along with the overall looks really made the 2009 click for me. I haven't been disappointed. For someone approaching his 55th birthday, this bike and its comfort features was the ticket.

BengeBoy 03-17-09 11:02 PM

I've been riding old bikes as a commuter but I've been dreaming about getting a lighter, higher quality commuter - and this would be a great bike for that *plus* the occasional tourer *plus* serving as my winter rain bike on sloppy weekends.

The Jamis Aurora (basic level) is a popular commuter here; the Elite seems very much worth the upgrade in terms of weight and component quality.

Robert Foster 03-17-09 11:14 PM

Jamis does make some good looking bikes. And they seem to be priced pretty good. One of the reasons I ended up with a Jamis rather than a Giant road bike.

When I first got into road bikes I thought all I would ever want for a next bike would be a CF bike. But I am beginning to rethink that a bit.

George 03-18-09 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 8549362)
Oh yeah! :thumb: Good choice. Give us some info so we can enjoy it even more,

Very nice bike. I own a Jamis to and like it a lot. I was wondering what saddle you have on the bike.

bjjoondo 03-18-09 07:29 AM

Excellent looking bike, IF I ever get back on a road bike, that would be the "type" for me, I'm not a racer type, the idea of long miles in comfort is to me what a road bike should be. I too thought I got a bit more from Jamis than other brands in the same price range, ENJOY!:thumb:

BengeBoy 03-18-09 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 8551247)
I was wondering what saddle you have on the bike.

It looks like a Selle Anatomica to me.

George 03-18-09 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 8551407)
It looks like a Selle Anatomica to me.

Your right, I didn't see the slot.

ecrider 03-18-09 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 8551567)
Your right, I didn't see the slot.

You're correct it's a Selle An Atomica. It's the one I used on my older bike but was pressed into service until I get another Selle An Atomica. This time I'm getting the Clydesdale model even though I'm under 180 pounds. But talking about comfort... Once you get those saddles dialed in just right, you can ride a long time and forget about saddle discomfort.

ecrider 03-18-09 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 8549837)
Looks like a nice bike. Do you plan to load it up for touring? What is the little box under the rear of the top tube?

The little box under the rear of the top tube is my tire repair kit and tools. They fit in a plastic box that slides into a mounted bracket. It's a pretty neat little kit and it's packed so tightly you don't hear any rattling.

As for touring, I don't have any immediate plans, although I was thinking about fenders...

George 03-18-09 11:39 AM

The reason I asked is because I just ordered a Brooks Swift. I hope it's as comfortable as they say it is.

maddmaxx 03-18-09 01:05 PM

Looks like a classic bike writ with modern technology.

Monoborracho 03-18-09 01:27 PM

The pics make me want to redfishing in the bay.

cranky old dude 03-18-09 03:03 PM

Congrats on the new bike. Looks great, enjoy.

BluesDawg 03-18-09 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ecrider (Post 8552470)
The little box under the rear of the top tube is my tire repair kit and tools. They fit in a plastic box that slides into a mounted bracket. It's a pretty neat little kit and it's packed so tightly you don't hear any rattling.

Interesting idea. But I don't really see an advantage over a saddle wedge which would be more versatile being able to hold keys, cash, i.d. and other stuff.

JanMM 03-18-09 08:34 PM

Wife is right: That's nice.
But, a work of art requires the tire repair kit/tools box to go into a saddle wedge, as suggested by BluesDawg.

Randochap 03-18-09 08:47 PM

Congrats! Looks a nice bike ... except for kickstand. Ouch!

On edit: Do I see a U-lock bracket too? I'd ditch that as well.

oilman_15106 03-18-09 08:58 PM

Very nice, but will double the ouch on the length of the steerer tube? What gives?

robtown 03-18-09 09:03 PM

Very nice. I like Jamis and I like good steel frames. Here is the Jamis w/631 I got my son - if only I could get him to ride with me.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/673...9171727660.jpg

Randochap 03-18-09 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by oilman_15106 (Post 8556104)
Very nice, but will double the ouch on the length of the steerer tube? What gives?

If that's what the OP wants/needs for comfort, who are we to criticize?

Kickstands and superfluous U-lock brackets damage frames.