Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ride of the season yesterday!

Yesterday was around 60F here in frigid Michigan, and I went out on my Trek, squeegee brakes and slipping freewheel and all. I rode about 12 miles in a loop with about 300 feet of climbing. These hills always slow me down, but my average speed was around 11 mph. Plus my HR was rather high, so I definitely see the issues with months of layoff and performance loss.

But, everything felt good, and still does today, so I just need to get out on 2 wheels!

Other discoveries:

I like my 28 mm clinchers, Conti Gatorskins at 95 psi.

For the first time, I clicked with the B17N Imperial. It pinches a bit around the cutout, but I think I finally got a position and angle that works.

I have a pretty long reach on that bike right now, and I think it's correct; I tucked down into the bar readily, feeling the horn of the saddle in my bellybutton from time to time.

On that bike I still have problems with wheel flopping when climbing at low speed.

I was able to spin 172.5s at nearly 100 rpm, where I used to find that hard.

I was happy with gearing not lower than 39/26, even on the climbs.

First birthday ride in May or June, first century in July!

Road (happy) Fan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was nice in Ohio yesterday also, no arm warmers, jackets, long fingered gloves etc... I got to ride with one of my sons and a good riding buddy. We did 36 miles in flat-ish country of Z-2 riding and just enjoyed the evening.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always find my zones creep up, a characteristic of Old Guys Who Get Fat In Winter, I guess. Then they come back down after a few good weeks. I was around 145-155 much of the time, which is usually (Friel method) Z4 for me, but it felt like Z2. In a little while I'll go out and do an hour in real Z2 and see how that goes. This year I plan to be more disciplined about recovery.

So where's Brunstucky? Down near the Ohio River?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a nice evening for a ride yesterday after work here in SoCal. 75 deg.F when I hit the MUP in Whittier, 65 deg.F by the time I got to Seal Beach, 15 mi. and 52 min. later.

Traded pulls into the wind on the way to the ocean, first with a white guy in full kit (Stork bike), then after he left the MUP I worked with an hispanic guy (on a Cannondale, wearing a Costa Rica team jersey), who wouldn't answer my friendly questions (maybe he didn't speak English), but sure knew how to trade 18 mph pulls into the wind!

Got to the beach and started talking to a guy on a Shimano-Look. Turned out to be a real cycling enthusiast so we talked about bikes, rides, races, racers, equipment, etc. for about 45 min. Nice guy, minister, looked Korean but I could be wrong.

Then on the way home I traded pulls with a guy who was in SoCal on business, but all kitted out in his home (Phoenix, AZ) colors, riding a full Campagnolo Record Titus. When he dropped off (his hotel was on Alondra) a guy with Banning's Bike Shop kit got on my wheel. He thanked me for the pull, but didn't pull himself . . . oh well.

31 miles, 724 ft. of climbing, an hour and 51 minutes total, 17.4 average speed.

For the year so far, a little over 1,400 miles, 3 centuries and one double century. Spring is just around the corner!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I always find my zones creep up, a characteristic of Old Guys Who Get Fat In Winter, I guess. Then they come back down after a few good weeks. I was around 145-155 much of the time, which is usually (Friel method) Z4 for me, but it felt like Z2. In a little while I'll go out and do an hour in real Z2 and see how that goes. This year I plan to be more disciplined about recovery.

So where's Brunstucky? Down near the Ohio River?
    Right now I'm in pretty good shape and my Z-2 HR is 136 to 148 using the Karvonen Method. Riding with the other two guys I needed to stay on the front or side to keep the HR in the zone. When I got home the average speed, that included warming up, was 19.2 mph for the ride. I have to do a 50 minute Steady State Z-3 ride on Thursday, I'm hoping the average will be mid 21's.

Brunstucky is a name given to the City of Brunswick by the other communities in Medina County many years ago. I think it started with the mass influx to the city of former coal miners, from WV/PA and KY, needed for the auto and steel plants. For 21 years I worked in the city's excutive administration until a new city manager was hired. Within weeks most all of the directors, and within a year, most all other supervision employees were fired or chased out. One of the things the new city manager told the city council when hired is that he was not going accept anyone using the term "Brunstucky" anymore. Did I write Brunstucky yet? He' done real well for himself and to what was a financially viable city in 6 years. In those years he spent more money than revenues in 5 out of 6 years, with his first year being the only year not having a "structured budget". They have layed off employees and drastically cut services for the first time ever while neighboring communities have a "flush of reserves" to the point where some city utility bills were lowered. Now he is seeking any federal bailout money available, kind like the banks that screwed up?

I live close to Medina and have the hilly areas to the East, rollers to the Sorth/West and Lorain county's flatlands to the West.
    Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 03-18-09 at 01:45 PM.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in eastern Ontario, was able to go out for the first time last week, again on Saturday, and I rode just this afternoon. Last year this time, we were mired in heavy snow.

It sure felt great to be out there. I guess I did between 10 and 15 miles. My ride was really only limited by the roads I could take that didn't have wet patches with road salt on them. My custom-made steel bike isn't ridden on salty roads.

Personally, I like any tire if it's not too wide or too narrow, and if it's inflated appropriately (not too hard). I find 25 mm more than satisfactory over post-winter road bumps. I inflate at about 85 psi (I weigh 135-140 lbs or so).

This year, I have my handlebars higher, about 1 cm below the saddle... for now at least. I have a transplanted kidney in my lower abdomen, and last year I found that this restricted my ability to ride bent over in a more racing-like position. So, I've detuned my road bike a bit as far as that goes.

Today, it felt great playing leapfrog with the buses and other downtown traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same weather system finally reached us here in upstate NY. Got my first decent ride of the year in this morning. Bye bye Winter.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    The same weather system finally reached us here in upstate NY. Got my first decent ride of the year in this morning. Bye bye Winter.

Count not thy chickens before they hatch! We (SE Michigan) have a cold front looming, expected to come through tonight. Thursday and Friday expected to be in the 30s and 40s F, 0 to 10 C.

We'll be hitting Longfemur with it first. Who said the War of 1812 was over?

Road Fan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
    Here in eastern Ontario, was able to go out for the first time last week, again on Saturday, and I rode just this afternoon. Last year this time, we were mired in heavy snow.

It sure felt great to be out there. I guess I did between 10 and 15 miles. My ride was really only limited by the roads I could take that didn't have wet patches with road salt on them. My custom-made steel bike isn't ridden on salty roads.

Personally, I like any tire if it's not too wide or too narrow, and if it's inflated appropriately (not too hard). I find 25 mm more than satisfactory over post-winter road bumps. I inflate at about 85 psi (I weigh 135-140 lbs or so).

This year, I have my handlebars higher, about 1 cm below the saddle... for now at least. I have a transplanted kidney in my lower abdomen, and last year I found that this restricted my ability to ride bent over in a more racing-like position. So, I've detuned my road bike a bit as far as that goes.

Today, it felt great playing leapfrog with the buses and other downtown traffic.
    Detuning the bike is ok, because you'll be retuning your body. Congrats on the successful kidney surgery!

I'm nearly 185# with kit, so I put a little more stress on the wheels than you.

I forgot to say, my new position makes teh drops, crook, and hood almost equally accessible without elbow/knee constriction, and I can stand and pedal and feel in balance. I like it! Just gotta swap out the freewheel (I have a 13-24 Sachs 7-speed) and need to try some "modern" brake pads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Road Fan. This will be my 3rd summer riding with the kidney transplant. I'm happy to be riding at all at this point, but still, I do pretty well for my age. I was 4 years on dialysis before that.

I have a Campy 9-speed myself, but I have to say that I would be most happy with an old style 5 speed half-step triple system and downtube shifters. My first road bike only had 5 in back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's gonna be awhile until my first ride.

516 PM AKDT TUE MAR 17 2009

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS CANCELLED...

AKZ222-190245-
    MIDDLE TANANA VALLEY-
    INCLUDING...FAIRBANKS...FORT WAINWRIGHT...EIELSON AFB...ESTER...
    NORTH POLE...MOOSE CREEK...TWO RIVERS...FOX...CHATANIKA...CHENA
    HOT SPRINGS...SOURDOUGH CAMP
    331 AM AKDT WED MAR 18 2009
    .TODAY...INCREASING CLOUDS. HIGHS ZERO TO 10 ABOVE.
    NORTH WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH. LOCAL GUSTS TO 25 MPH.
    .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH FLURRIES AND PATCHY FOG AFTER
    MIDNIGHT. LOWS 10 TO 20 BELOW. NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH.
    .THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH FLURRIES AND PATCHY FOG IN THE
    MORNING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS AROUND 5
    ABOVE. NORTHEAST WINDS TO 10 MPH.
    .THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FOG. LOWS 15 TO 25 BELOW.
    NORTHEAST WINDS TO 10 MPH.
    .FRIDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS AROUND 5 ABOVE.
    NORTHEAST WINDS TO 10 MPH.
    .FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FOG. LOWS NEAR 20 BELOW.
    .SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR ZERO.
    .SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20 BELOW.
    .SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 5 ABOVE.
    .SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 15 BELOW.
    .MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 10 ABOVE.
    .MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 10 BELOW.
    .TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15.

&&
    TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION
    FAIRBANKS 6 -15 5 / 0 0 0

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
    Thanks Road Fan. This will be my 3rd summer riding with the kidney transplant. I'm happy to be riding at all at this point, but still, I do pretty well for my age. I was 4 years on dialysis before that.

I have a Campy 9-speed myself, but I have to say that I would be most happy with an old style 5 speed half-step triple system and downtube shifters. My first road bike only had 5 in back.
    I need to find an old Urago or something, so I can try a real half-step. My first was a 1968 Falcon, half step, and I never really as a high school kid learned to use it. I have two vintage projects right now, a PX-10E which will stay 5-speed and a Super Course, which doesn't know what she wants to become yet. But I think she'll be a distance bike.

My Mondonico has Campy 10, 13-29 and 39/53. It's not perfect, but it's also not going to be my distance bike. The ride quality is stiff and a bit harsh, a real performance bike. I'm not quite acclimated to the Ergo levers, still tend to drop my arms to the down tube.

I knew a woman in Chicago who ran a dialysis center. I was much more interested in her than it, but now that I understand dialysis, I am amazed at it.

Road Fan