Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bar end shifter to clamp mount?

With the Sturmey Archer S3X (3 speed fixed) hub coming soon, I'm thinking about shifters. As far as I'm aware, there are two options, the tradtional trigger or a bar end shifter.

I know a lot of you use bar ends and like them, so I'm fine with the idea of a bar end shifter, but it is a little exposed. This got me thinking about down tube shifters. I know that they are little more inconvenient than bar ends or something mounted on the bars but I have used them in recent memory and didn't suffer too badly - to be honest, I leapt at the chance of brifters but wasn't interested in bar ends.

The thing is, I don't imagine I'll be changing gears very often on a 3 speed, fixed hub so the 'inconvenience' of a down tube shifter would balance the 'exposed nature' of the bar end.

I seem to remember a few years back, a bracket that took your bar end shifter and mounted it on your handlebars (rather than shoved in the end). Anyone know of these? The next issue would be whether the strap goes around a down tube.

Incidentally, the Europa doesn't have brazed on mounts so I need a clamp on the down tube anyway.

The alternative is to mount the Sturmey Archer trigger down there ... but although they're cute and traditional and all, they don't look all that good.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are talking about the Paul Thumbies, an excellent but absurdly overpriced gadget that takes a bar end shifter and turns it into a bar top mounted thumb lever. They are available for either 26.0 (road) or 25.4 (MTB) diameter bars.
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/96_3332...er-Mounts.html
    This is a good way to go if you have plenty of money and want to have Shimano shifters mounted on your handlebars. You can still find new Shimano bar end shifters from 7 speed up to 10 speed on eBay for $50 to $80. The Thumbies will cost about $50.

If you don't need the indexing, Suntour thumb levers are available, new or used for a bit less than the Shimano. New, low end thumb shifters can be found new for $10 or less.

http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/...Z42330QQ_sopZ1
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need is a good ole fashioned Huret top tube lever for a 5 speed. Pure. Simple. Nothing to break. Clean and lube once a year. Your build sounds very interesting. Can't wait to see it. Best of luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HURET-FIVE-SPEED...3%3A1|294%3A50
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Unfortunately, generic shifters or other brand's shifters wont work because the indexing on the S3X is funny. I probably need to check this but I doubt friction would work either.

The Thumbies were what I was thinking of but you're right about the price

Richard

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friction and those thumb shifters are basically the same, except the thumb shifter has a ratcheting mechanism, so it "clicks" as you move it. Both are not "Indexed." When using it on S3X, my guess is that you just move the shifter until you "feel" the next gear, then stop. Pretty simple.

Here's a bargain you can't go wrong with. I have a set of these and I would think they would get the job done. At 99 cents plus shipping to Down Under, it's worth a try.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200276_200468

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 03-20-09 at 07:14 AM.
    Bob

Visit my websites:

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the offer Bob. I've got few sets of downtube shifters here, including the set that came off the Europa, all friction except for a set of 6 speed indexed. I hadn't even considered them until I read your post.

Richard

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Thanks for the offer Bob. I've got few sets of downtube shifters here, including the set that came off the Europa, all friction except for a set of 6 speed indexed. I hadn't even considered them until I read your post.

Richard
    The guys and gals over in Classic and Vintage might be able to help you out with this. Some have experience with the old original SA fixed gear hubs. I'm certain they have experimented with different ways to shift them.
    Bob

Visit my websites: