Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-09, 07:30 AM   #1
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Fixed ?

My indoor bike, a Schwinn Airdyne, is my only fixed gear bike.

When I do 40 miles on "The Beast," I am totally wasted for about 1/2 hour. It takes me roughly 3 hours.

When riding outside, on a real bike (Specialized Crosstrail - Hybrid 9 spd triple,) the same 40 miles take about the same time, and I'm much more relaxed while riding, and not nearly as worn out.

You people are either, nuts, gluttons for punishment, or, in extremely good shape.

My current goals are 30 - 40 miles per day (average over 7 days), and 1,000 miles per month. I seldom take a day off.

I am so happy to be off "The Beast" and back outside on a real bike.

40 miles outside, is so much more fun....... especially if I can shift and coast.....
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:04 AM   #2
overthehillmedi

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is it that every time I see the term "fixed: I think of our old childhood tomcat Rrrawlph and the looks he usedto give us after he operation?
overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:40 AM   #3
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
You people are either, nuts, gluttons for punishment, or, in extremely good shape. My current goals are 30 - 40 miles per day (average over 7 days), and 1,000 miles per month. I seldom take a day off. . . . especially if I can shift and coast.....
Okay, Wanderer . . . First, I do ride double centuries (200 mi. in a day), but I am not a glutton for punishment, nor am I in extremely good shape. Dante says the 50+ forumites think that double century riders are "crazy", but I don't buy that either.

Second, you don't say how much you vary your rides per day, but try to go beyond (way beyond) what seems to be your 40 mile max. Go to 62 miles on one day (approx. 100 kilometers), then do a recovery ride for (example) ten miles the following day, before going back to your usual routine.

After a week (approx.) rest/routine, take a very easy couple of days (15 mi. then 10 mi.), then go for 100 miles the next day. You'd be surprised how easy it is. Then, after your 100 mi. day, take one or two relatively easy (low milage, low effort) days to recover.

Check back after your century and we'll talk about training for doubles !

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:47 AM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
First of all, there is no such thing as 40 miles on a trainer, thus there can be no "the same 40 miles" when riding outdoors.

Second, don't blame the fixed gear bike for the fact that riding on trainers sucks.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:02 AM   #5
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
Rick@OCRR,

You denied being a glutton for punishment and being in extremely good shape. I couldn't help but notice you didn't deny being nuts.
Cone Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:02 AM   #6
roadfix
hello

Bikes:
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Besides, it's so much easier to ride a FG, even 50 miles on the open road than pedal 3 hours on an indoor Schwinn trainer.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:44 AM   #7
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
Rick@OCRR,You denied being a glutton for punishment and being in extremely good shape. I couldn't help but notice you didn't deny being nuts.
You are quite correct Cone Wrench!

I thought I delt with that aspect with Dante's "crazy" reference, but to me (in this context) "nuts" and "crazy" work out to about the same. Regardless, they are both cultural definitions.

To many Americans, any adult who "still" rides a bicycle is nuts/crazy. Obviously, within this bikeforums.net culture, that is not the case.

Likewise, within bikeforums.net, many of the 50+ cyclists (and not exclusively 50+!) think anyone who would spend most of the day (13 - 17 hours for me) riding a bike has to be "nuts/crazy."

However, within the Double Century Culture (ref: www.caltriplecrown.com), we're all perfectly normal folks .

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-20-09 at 11:48 AM.
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 04:20 PM   #8
Velo Dog

Bikes:
Anybody who can spend more than 30 or 40 minutes on a trainer, ANY trainer, is taking things way too seriously.
I have a trainer and a dedicated bike in our spare room, but I haven't used either one in more than a year. I'd rather (and often do) ride outside in sub-freezing weather than spend a minute on that thing.
Everybody has a theory, about not coasting, or not changing position, or trying to maintain a steady pace, but pretty much everybody agrees trainers suck.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 04:30 PM   #9
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
Anybody who can spend more than 30 or 40 minutes on a trainer, ANY trainer, is taking things way too seriously.
Dead right. Thirty minutes is my maximum - after that, it's just masochism and I can't see the point in doing it to yourself. Get out in the real world and ride there ... unless it's ten foot under snow outside, that's one excuse I'll accept (though we don't get snow here )

Richard
europa is offline   Reply With Quote