Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks B-17- A Break-in Diary- with pics

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks B-17- A Break-in Diary- with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 12:35 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Not only that, but how does the position where your sit-bones contact the B17 compare to where they contacted it on the saddle you had before teh Brooks? The main point here is whether the distance of your contacts behind the BB is the same pre-brooks and after. Your body hasn't changed, so whatever was biomechanically right still is.

Presumably that previous set-up was comfortable. If so, it probably represents the natural geometry of your pedaling. I would think the Brooks should be located to allow you to replicate that positioning, by vertical and fore-aft adjustments. Then adjust the tilt of the Brooks to optimize sensitive bits contact versus the effect of gravity in pulling you forward on the saddle.

My V-O faux-Swallow is coming along nicely using this strategy.
My only caveat to this approach is that his previous bike (at least the one listed in his signature line) is a Sequoia, which is a comfort road bike. He may be looking for a more aggressive position with this new bike, so while I would definitely take the old bike's dimensions into account, I may or may not want to replicate them. I definitely wouldn't want to stray very far from what was comfortable on the other bike. The cockpit of my all purpose road bike is about 1/2" shorter than on my fast road/century bike and the handlebars are about 1" higher. I wouldn't change either one. They have different dimensions appropriate for their different purposes.
Old 03-29-09, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Yes, and this is one place where personal taste comes in, strongly.
Old 03-29-09, 07:44 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for all the interesting input and discussion everyone. A few points:

1. Rest assured, I will NOT be trying any of the more aggressive Brooks break-in procedures for the forseeable future, if ever...least of all motor oil. This is not because of resale value factor (though that point is well-taken) or health risks, but more due to my interest in the "natural" requirements of the B-17. I do look forward to some warmer weather to see what that might bring into the equation.
2. The Sequoia has super-relaxed geometry while the LeMond is merely somewhat relaxed.... but their overall dimensions are pretty similar. I originally set up the LeMond to replicate the Sequoia's dimensions, like bar height etc. The saddle has been removed from the Sequoia seatpost so the exact settings were lost. BUT I DID measure from front of saddle to center of stem topcap (stems are same length) on the Sequoia and replicate it in the seat installation on the LeMond. The seat height will differ a bit because the crank arm length is different on the two bikes.
3. As I dial in the B-17 seat location, and I am getting pretty close, I plan to keep it on its own dedicated seatpost. With a mark on it for height, I can then reinstall the Brooks at any time and not have to hunt for the adjustment again. (Bought another Thomson Elite post at the LBS today for use with any comparison saddle I might want to try... remember that my objective for the B-17 was for use as a long-distance saddle. It may or may not end up as my main "daily cruiser" saddle.)

Enjoyed reading all your thoughts... today's ride post on the Brooks experience is forthcoming.
Old 03-29-09, 09:34 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by billydonn
Thanks for all the interesting input and discussion everyone. A few points:

(Bought another Thomson Elite post at the LBS today for use with any comparison saddle I might want to try... remember that my objective for the B-17 was for use as a long-distance saddle. It may or may not end up as my main "daily cruiser" saddle.)

Enjoyed reading all your thoughts... today's ride post on the Brooks experience is forthcoming.
Amazing how much good science can cost, isn't it!
Old 03-29-09, 09:52 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Episode seven- 18.1 miles.
Dear Diary: Rode a lakeside route with quite a bit of climbing and speed changes today. I was standing for short intervals quite often. Nose of the B-17 was way too high so I changed that. I think I am getting close to the sweet spot for positoning. The saddle seems to be loostening up a bit but a longer ride in cruise mode will tell me more. I hope to do that tomorrow.

Total B-17 riding time: 11 1/2 hours.
Old 03-29-09, 10:27 PM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a Brooks Pro for my commuter in early December. It took numerous little tweaks to get it right. My latest one was 3 weeks ago but now I think it's as close to perfect as it gets. Don't give up.
Old 03-30-09, 04:19 AM

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sent a B-17 to https://www.mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop%20new.htm and had it cut out. Perfect There is no right or wrong with saddles....you have to find the right one through trial and error. I carried a wrench to make adjustments during rides untill I got it right.
Old 03-30-09, 10:39 AM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Episode eight- 12 miles.
Dear Diary: Wind 25-35 mph today, so not a long ride. The B-17 did not give me any trouble at all but my attention was on surival, not saddle comfort. Note to Pres. Obama: a single wind generator by the Omaha MUP would assure national energy independence for years to come! Possible snow tonight so there may be no report for awhile. I remain hopeful of the bliss and comfort that lies ahead.

Total B-17 riding time: 12 1/2 hours.
FloridaBoy: your modification option is duly noted as a future possibility.
Old 03-30-09, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say, I don't get it. if you want a Brooks style ride without all the nonsense of break in, Selle Anatomica should have been considered. It starts out as pliant as you want it (easy to adjust) and then you actually tighten it as time passes. Comfy right from the start. This is where the traditionalist part of biking has me scratching my head.
Old 03-30-09, 12:04 PM

Tradition is strong, but some of the early reports on the Anatomicas were not that positive. BF members spoke of frequent tightening, and fear of early wearout. The comfort benefits were not always an offset in the posters' minds.
Old 03-30-09, 12:27 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What makes you assume that your old saddle will be unsatisfactory? If it has been fine so far, why not use it? It seems to me you should be worried more about getting in shape to ride five 60-mile days. Have you ridden one 60-mile day, yet?
There is not magic saddle that will get you through that without some training.
Old 03-30-09, 12:55 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
What makes you assume that your old saddle will be unsatisfactory? If it has been fine so far, why not use it? It seems to me you should be worried more about getting in shape to ride five 60-mile days. Have you ridden one 60-mile day, yet?
There is not magic saddle that will get you through that without some training.
Here's a quote from the very first post of the thread, italics added:

Strategy: As I ride longer in preparation for the June trip I am auditioning saddles and this riding is a good time to break in one of those fabled Brooks thingies that send so many (but clearly not all) riders into rhapsodic celebrations.

Never said I expected to do no training... there is a plan for that and ample time to do it as my work schedule drops off in late April. Thanks for your concern though. As to the saddle, it is my judgment that I can possibly do better than the old saddle. I don't see why that needs extensive justification here.

Last edited by billydonn; 03-30-09 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave-j
I have to say, I don't get it. if you want a Brooks style ride without all the nonsense of break in, Selle Anatomica should have been considered. It starts out as pliant as you want it (easy to adjust) and then you actually tighten it as time passes. Comfy right from the start. This is where the traditionalist part of biking has me scratching my head.
I already had the Brooks and there were some issues reported with the older Selle A's. I will say that after having the Brooks cut out *I* had no issues.The saddle was a lot more comfortable from the start with the cut out. Springy but firm. Yes, you still have to put time in the saddle to get conditioned but the cut out, for me, made things a lot easier. It still took some time to get it properly adjusted. The fact is that some riders are more sensitve in the bag 'o beans and frank area than others. Selle A does have a 30 day return option on their saddles and they really care about your comfort.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-30-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 03:49 PM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have two Brooks B17's and two others that are more narrow but I don't know the model as they were shot when I got them and I replaced the leather myself using leather I got from a saddle shop.
I love them, I only have one road bike that doesn't have one and I don't ride it much.
Stick with it you will be glad you did.
Old 03-31-09, 07:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear what people are saying about the early Selle Anatomicas. Got mine last year after serious displeasure with the Toupe that came on my bike. For the record, it has a little over 3000 miles on it and have not had to tighten it at all after the first 300. Everybody's different, but my only point was that I couldn't see putting the time into breaking in a B17 with this alternative available. Been very happy with it.
Old 03-31-09, 07:49 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Two B-17s and a Flyer in my stable. I don't recall ever feeling like I was having to break them in. I just put them on and rode. The only transition period was getting the location and angle dialed in. I guess I just have a Brooks butt.
Old 03-31-09, 07:51 AM

I hear what people are saying about the early Selle Anatomicas. Got mine last year after serious displeasure with the Toupe that came on my bike. For the record, it has a little over 3000 miles on it and have not had to tighten it at all after the first 300. Everybody's different, but my only point was that I couldn't see putting the time into breaking in a B17 with this alternative available. Been very happy with it.

No tightening! Sounds like they've improved it, good!
Old 04-01-09, 12:18 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I ask your size & what type of riding you do? I'm debating between the Selle Anatomica & the Brooks B17 Imperial narrow. I ride a Trek Pilot 1.2 which is a relaxed geometry road bike. When the season gets going, I generally ride 4-5 days a week, 20-50 miles per ride, with occasional rides of 60+. While I don't race, I do push the pace & spend a lot of time in the drops. I'm relatively small, 5'4', 150 lbs. The width of the Selle scares me a little. I also like the laces on the Brooks (and the 6 mo return policy), but don't look forward to the extended break in period. I do like the additional waterproofing on the Selle. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dan
Old 04-01-09, 04:47 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chinarider
Can I ask your size & what type of riding you do? I'm debating between the Selle Anatomica & the Brooks B17 Imperial narrow. I ride a Trek Pilot 1.2 which is a relaxed geometry road bike. When the season gets going, I generally ride 4-5 days a week, 20-50 miles per ride, with occasional rides of 60+. While I don't race, I do push the pace & spend a lot of time in the drops. I'm relatively small, 5'4', 150 lbs. The width of the Selle scares me a little. I also like the laces on the Brooks (and the 6 mo return policy), but don't look forward to the extended break in period. I do like the additional waterproofing on the Selle. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dan
I have two Selle An Atomicas. If you opt for one, I would recommend the watershed. Also, even if you are slightly under 180 pounds, I'd still recommend the Clydesdale model. Ebay seems to have some good prices on these expensive saddles. You might check them out.

Before buying my second Selle, I asked forum members about the B17 and the consensus was that if the Selle works (and it does) why invest in something that might not work for me. That helped me regain my senses and order the Selle.

If you have questions, visit their site https://www.mcmwin.com/
Old 04-01-09, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Two B-17s and a Flyer in my stable. I don't recall ever feeling like I was having to break them in. I just put them on and rode. The only transition period was getting the location and angle dialed in. I guess I just have a Brooks butt.
Ditto.
Old 04-01-09, 07:53 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Episode nine- 20.4 miles.
Dear Diary: Wind not significant today! Still cool though. Alas, still not a very long ride due to work constraints. The B-17 did not give me any trouble at all today. May be making progress, but I know the real test will come with longer and more frequent rides as work slacks off and weather improves.

Looks like this whole thing has been a waste of time as the Selle Anatomica is clearly a far superior saddle... guess I will discontinue this post at this point.

Total B-17 riding time: about 14 hours.
Old 04-01-09, 08:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like this whole thing has been a waste of time as the Selle Anatomica is clearly a far superior saddle... guess I will discontinue this post at this point.
Don't own a Brooks, likely never will. Have testridden a few times.

However there is no way you can say the above with any level of confidence. There are thousands upon thousands of extremely happy Brooks riders. I've seen survey responses where people rated saddles on a 1 to 5 scale, where Brooks racked up extremely high overall scores.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-01-09, 10:42 PM

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Be careful with the Selle Anatomica. Their customer service is atrocious. If the saddle works then no problem, but if you have a problem you will get blamed for the problem.

I had a very bad experience with this company and after weeks of trying to get them to honor my return I got a money order with $60 shorted from the price I paid. No explanation, no reason.

Just be careful!
Old 04-02-09, 04:43 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 700, 2006 Cannondale Six 13 Team, 1985 Miyata 210

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Pretty sure billydonn was being facetious here.
Old 04-02-09, 05:09 AM
just keep riding

You are so right. Send that piece of junk B-17 to me and I'll properly dispose of it for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.