User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

off with the knobbies...........

Kind of sad about it actually, but I've taken the knobbies off my mtn bike and put on some "dual purpose" tires. Guess I was always more of a trail rider than mtn biker, as I never really got off on log crossings, jumps, and the like, which most trails built in this area seem to be based on. Just used to like to spend hours on trails back east riding thru the woods, and the only park here with lengthy trails which weren't too technical, was closed due to it being too expensive for the city to keep up. So, the mtn bike has now become my urban bike-but it's still fun riding up or down curbs and steps, who knows, maybe I'll progress into a decent "urban" rider, but it seems my mtn biking craze has ended. Guess when one door closes, another opens, so urban riding, here I come!
    Still have the road bike, and enjoy it, but just something about my old trusty GT that beckons me. So better urban than not using it at all.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so sad.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode MTB's for 16 years- mainly offroad but a change to slicks and 100 milers were done a couple of times a year. They are not as good as offroad- but don't get rid of the knobblies. There will be mountain bikers somewhere in your raea that can put you onto some good trails within riding distance.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you want to get rid of those Kenda Nevegals I'll take them off your hands.

You might give Cherokee another shot. With the exception of No-Net, which I don't ride anyway, the trails have been smoothed out. I can ride the whole system, only dismounting at the log-drops behind the golf course and the rock garden behind the maintenance shed. Everything else is user friendly. The local gunners whine about it but wiser heads figured out that the obstacles were only generating ad hoc bypasses which accelerated wear on the trail.

Even Waverly has gotten a bit easier. There has been extensive rerouting on the haunted trails, getting rid of most of the really steep "blood out your ears" sections.

One thing also, after four years of banging my head up against the trees, I've figured out that putting some road bike miles first makes riding the trails a lot easier.

I still ride Wednesday mornings and at least once on the weekends.