Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Milan Sanremo--not a spoiler.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 10:22 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Not certain how many of you follow racing but I scan the scedules at this time of year to see when it is going to be on British Eurosport. San Remo is a one day event and to me takes all types of riding skills- Hills- speed- stamina and the finish.

Just suffice it to say that we are doomed- the younguns are improving. Going over the top of the last hill and a bunch of 60 riders- 30 of whom had a chance of winning. They were climbing the 9% 6 km hill faster than I ride on the flat and this was after 200 miles of racing. It did finish up as a sprint for the line and ********* won. and he won it well.

After his lack of showing so far this year -he proved that he is ready for the full seasons racing- but it still surprised me.

How many of you that follow racing would have given him a chance at the start?

Spike Milligan
Old 03-21-09, 02:54 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
No surprise here. He was my pick.
Old 03-21-09, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This young Brit is amazing. There's no doubt he is the fastest sprinter in the pro tour now. Being able to win a classic such as MSR this young is scary for the years to come. He has more than ample confidence, the explosiveness of youth, and already a pretty impressive resume.

Let's not forget he has a heck of a sprint lead with Hincapie.
Old 03-21-09, 09:34 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Check out the special paint job on Lance Armstrong's bike for Milan Sanremo.

Old 03-22-09, 09:06 AM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to go to work so I missed the race (I couldn't find a working feed before I left the house at 1030am anyway; everything seemed to be blocked for some reason including Eurosport audio which has always worked for me) but when I watched the last km on youtube, it seemed to me that if Haussler hadn't hesitated a split second--looking for Hushovd--he would have held him off--just! And that didn't surprise me. He's been on fire so far.
Cavendish is shaping up to be an amazing competitor on a solid team. I did not expect such a good showing at that distance over the hills. What an improvement from last year. L'Equipe didn't include him in their top picks, either.