Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Persons MAJESTIC

hi,
    Anyone use the persons Majestic it looks a lot like a brooks saddle for about 1/2 the price.
    doug

http://www.permaco.com/
    Dimensions: 152(w) x 270(l)
    Pictured in honey
    Available in:
    Black/Copper
    Brown/Copper
    Honey/Copper
    Green/Copper
    Blue/Copper

Last edited by djnzlab1; 03-21-09 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were the Brooks US distributor until 2003. Looks like they've come up with their own saddles at a lower price point.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a brown/copper Deluxe (B-17) clone for $70 shipped. It seems a quality saddle, with thick leather, copper rails and big copper rivets. I only have a few miles on it.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    They were the Brooks US distributor until 2003. Looks like they've come up with their own saddles at a lower price point.
    Persons has been in the bike saddle business for at least a century. The Brooks franchise only lasted about a decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changed it to a Deluxe Honey

HI,
    I will post my comments about this saddle over the next few months as I break it in,
    I ordered the Deluxe Honey with the large Copper rivits.

I still have some proof Hide from my Brooks.
    Doug
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 03-21-09 at 08:13 PM.

tcs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden a Persons #77 Deluxe for the last two years after having ridden Brooks for the last 29 years. I liked it so well I recently bought another #77 Deluxe for another bike.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have to give one a try. Looking like a Brooks is nice, but the test will be whether it rides and lasts like a Brooks.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

tcs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    The 1941 Schwinn New World Racer came with a Persons saddle.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    The 1941 Schwinn New World Racer came with a Persons saddle.

tcs
    Persons has been in the bike saddle business since the 1890s.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Persons saddles are made in India. The green one I ordered had a streaky dye job and you could see where the "craftsman" that hammered the rivets missed and bashed the leather. The color was more of a neon green than the very dark green of a Brooks. It was so bad that they sent me a free black one with it. I sold both of them and made a small profit. I'm sticking with Brooks.

tcs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop View Post
    The green one I ordered...
    Hmm. When was this?

Ah, found your post - back in 2005, and as you said then, Persons admitted they sent you a manufacturer's second (and sent you another saddle free as compensation).

I've read criticism of the Persons saddles from an internet boutique bike parts company that sells Brooks for top dollar and is now proudly offering these for quite a bit more than a Persons goes for.

The #77 I bought in 2007 and the one I bought last month are easily the equal to any Brooks I've owned/ridden - well, except they were a lot less expensive.

tcs
    Last edited by tcs; 03-24-09 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch its looks cheep

HI,
    Well It dosen't have quality look of the brooks, and why did they coat the leather with varnish, jeeze.
    not sure about the leather quality it dosen't look like a real leather almost synthetic in grain maybe they coated it with some type of sealer.
    Geeze we'll see how it rides..my guessis it will fall apart if it get a little damp..
    Doug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the Persons Apollo (Brooks Flyer clone) about a year ago in Blue. The leather appears to be painted, not dyed through, so that when it scratched, the color came off. Its also not nearly as firm as a Brooks. Advantage is it requires almost no break in. Disadvantage is after one year, I've got the tension bolt maxed out and it still wants to sag. One other problem is that the springs on the Apollo creak more than those on a Flyer, which I find annoying. It's not like it I hate it or anything, but it ain't no Brooks. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Brooks B67.