Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: I hate shopping

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate shopping

Have a problem in that The only real shopping I do is at the LBS. Went down there today to collect some more Sealskinz socks as I only have 1/2 a pair at present and it is going to get cold and wet again by the end of the week. I got them free.

Mind you, N+3 came along at the same time and that was not free and the N+3 is only on the road bikes (Any one got a bigger shed?)

Giant FCR1--I know- not a real road bike as the FCR is an OCR with straight bars. But this is something that is a bit different. As you can see from the Pics attached and it is the Blue one. The pic is straight out of the shop with nothing set up or adjusted yet.

9 speed Ultegra Brifters with a compact crank- and I don't know what type that is or what size the small ring is. 105 rear mech and a `12/27---or 28 as I don't know what size that is either. But this was built up for a customer at the shop and he cancelled after putting down a heftyish deposit on the thing- I got a discount and the hefty deposit taken off it.

But there was something about the thing that caught my eye. I'll be honest and let you know that I went down to look at the Defy Range of bikes---Only look mind you--- and I was not impressed. Good bikes but a bit heavy and the prices seem to have gone up a lot from the TCR range and definitely on the OCR's. A comfort bike with straight bars is not in my reckoning at present but I did look at a couple of other bikes- A dawes that was just too heavy and a 3 year old model De la Rosa that I could have got a good deal on. But I was only looking- honest wifey dear-- and the owner mentioned that he could deal on this one. Sold- but how can I tell the wife that this is a bike that just wanted to come home with me.

I can hear her now- "How the H*ll can you ride 4 bikes- And where are you going to put it?"

Better not be the bedroom for a few days at least.

Several things I do not like- wheels being the main one but they can go as a spare set up on the wall of the shed. Have a set of Good wheels that can go on it for now. That saddle may have to be changed but I took it for a test ride and up the 12% hill out of eastbourne. Climbs well and the brakes worked on the way down- what more do I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only see N+1. You had 3. You bought 1 more. That's N+1.

Which picture is the new one?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+3 Would mean you bought three new bikes at one time - which would be a good thing, too.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How the H*LL can you ride 4 bikes -- and where are you going to put it?

(If you scroll over the pics, you can see that the first one is Bike 4, the second is Bike 1, the third is Bike 2, and the last is Bike 3.)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like you don't have much trouble shopping at all! Nice catch!
    It's amazing the lengths we'll go to get a free pair of good socks.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you can never actually have too many bikes, it is equally true that at some point (this varies) your wife will suffer from the illusion that you have too many bikes.

How you deal with this is what makes the real challenge!

Rick / OCRR

. . . okay, my wife has five bikes . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A noble gesture to help the economy is nothing to feel guilty about. Mrs. stapfam will be proud of you, I'm sure. Of course, a dozen red roses can be helpful in situations where words often fail.

I like the paint scheme. That blue color lights it up like a fine spring day.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "you only need one bike" wife
    "no, I only need one wife" me

then the fight started....

p.s. none of my nine bikes came from the LBS and I smuggled them all in a part at a time
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    A noble gesture to help the economy is nothing to feel guilty about. Mrs. stapfam will be proud of you, I'm sure. Of course, a dozen red roses can be helpful in situations where words often fail.

I like the paint scheme. That blue color lights it up like a fine spring day.
    To be honest- The economy was one of the last things I was thinking of. End of the financial year over here and I have spent the Bonus I will be getting this week. It ain't going to buy much else so why not a bike. And to get round the wife- since November she has had a new Dishwasher- and I did go for the one she wanted that was $200 more than the one that would have done- And she has got a new car. So what is a measly bike going to do to upset her? Dare say I'll find out.

Back to the bike- had a better look at it and Compact double of 50/34 and rear cassette of 11/25. Crankset is shimano and is an R4550 so don't know where that is in the Shimano Heirarchy. Wheels do not seem too bad for an OM wheel but the tyres are Kenda's in 700x26. Think they will go as spares as I have a set of Aksiums as spares at present and they are better than the OM wheels. Weight of the bike is just over 18lbs and Not bad for a basic cheap bike. But there are several items on it that are non-standard from the build that the prospective buyer had changed.

Pointless talking prices as we are more expensive over here. But with my discount and the hefty deposit that the original buyer lost on this special order- I got it for half price. The bike suits my needs- and is of a quality that seems right. And at that price- you can understand why it came home with me.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He must like the thing, he's complaining about the wheels

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    p.s. none of my nine bikes came from the LBS and I smuggled them all in a part at a time

My kind of guy.

During the last 6 months I have accumulated a set of Ultegra brifters, new bars and stem (" they just didn't fit the touring bike, Dear"), brand new triple crank, with a set of Ultegra x Open Pro wheels. I currently have the Terry saddle on the tandem but there is a Brooks hanging on the wall that will free up the Terry for a road bike.

Last week I almost "won" a 94 Paramount frame on Ebay. I need a faster computer as I was sniped out in the last ten seconds.

If everything works out all I really need is a frame and a headset and I'll be business for N+1.

Right now I'm eyeing a Trek Pilot frame, as well as an older 720 Trek.

Smuggle it in one part at a time.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you REALLY hate shopping I have a solution. Just send me the money that you would have otherwise spent. Problem solved.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    ............and the N+3 is only on the road bikes (Any one got a bigger shed?)
    Fibber McGee's closet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    But I was only looking- honest wifey dear-- and the owner mentioned that he could deal on this one. Sold- but how can I tell the wife that this is a bike that just wanted to come home with me.
    Fibber McGee's modus operandi.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step, I have seen your shed/shop. Where will you fit this one??
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    He must like the thing, he's complaining about the wheels

Richard
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you going to buy something different? Looks like you have the compact frame road bike pretty well covered. I think it's high time for some diversity.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    When are you going to buy something different? Looks like you have the compact frame road bike pretty well covered. I think it's high time for some diversity.
    I was going to say the same thing, but because I never (even gently) criticize another person's taste in bikes, I won't. I will just say that if I were as bold as BluesDawg, I *might* have posted something like his post. But I'm not, so I won't.

However, would it kill you to get a nice steel British Audax bike with proper fenders (oops, mudguards) and a Carradice bag or two? A Bob Jackson or Mercian perhaps? Maybe purchase a Corgi to follow along behind you when you pop down to the pub for a pint?

It's time to start acting your age...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like compacts-Must do as when I try bikes- they are the only ones I feel comfortable on.

I know it makes no difference when you sit on the saddle and are riding- but I did have a conventional frame- Twice in fact. A Raleigh "Pro-Race" that was a 58 cm frame and all the time I was riding- it was fine. And the other was a mountain bike in my early days and I measured myself for a road bike and transferred the size to a mountain bike. Good job I had kids before I rode that one with the number of sudden stops I used to make on it.

And the mountain bikes- including the Tandem are all sloping tube/compacts too.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I
    However, would it kill you to get a nice steel British Audax bike with proper fenders (oops, mudguards) and a Carradice bag or two? A Bob Jackson or Mercian perhaps? Maybe purchase a Corgi to follow along behind you when you pop down to the pub for a pint?

It's time to start acting your age...
    Funnily enough- one of the bikes I did look at on Tuesday was a Dawes- the UK company-Audax bike. steel- straight crossbar- the whole works. Even rear panniers thrown in as well. It was in my size and just sitting on it- I did not like it. Then I picked it up--No thanks.

And as for acting my age-If I did I would be sitting on the porch moaning about the the snow coming down as the glare is too much and why is my Ale cold- and is this Ale? Taste like lager and you know I can't stand lager- gives me wind and I will make you pay for it and----4 hrs later I might have worn myself out and be having the mid morning nap before I start again.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not criticizing compact frames at all. If I was to buy a new road bike today, chances are it would be a compact frame, simply because that is what is mostly available. But I just wondered why stapfam would want four bikes of such similar design and purpose when there is such variety available these days. What about a cyclocross bike? Or an urban assault bike? Maybe a utility bike to haul gardening supplies around. But then, to each his own.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not criticizing compact frames at all. If I was to buy a new road bike today, chances are it would be a compact frame, simply because that is what is mostly available. But I just wondered why stapfam would want four bikes of such similar design and purpose when there is such variety available these days. What about a cyclocross bike? Or an urban assault bike? Maybe a utility bike to haul gardening supplies around. But then, to each his own.
    I was contemplating a Cyclocross- but It would only be for the flatter trails in our area- but then they are not that much fun to me and the MTB can do them.

But my main bike is Boreas. just on 16lbs in ride condition and an ally frame that reacts. That is not really a compact frame- but just a sloping top tube. But not a bike for wet or foul weather riding.

The OCR is now basically a loaner- but will be getting a Child seat on it in the next year or so (New Grand Daughter)

The TCR is C.F. and finally I have got it as a bike that works. Took a bit of time but is now the bike I will ride to save wearing out Boreas.

Now this FCR- I will be going to the mountains on Holiday in the future again so it is going to be set up for a purpose. 9 speed and compact crank so a 12/34 will be going on that along with the XT R.Derailler I have. So for a holiday in the alpes with nowhere to go but uphill- I will have a bike that will do it- and with that gearing- so will I. And it will not be as fragile as the TCR or Boreas so will take a bit of shoving into the MPV along with the wifes suitcases and the Cases of wine on the way home.

So 4 bikes- but disregard the OCR.

Spike Milligan