User Tag List

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding in Manhattan

I've just posted some photographs and a report about my rides in Manhattan over the weekend.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...15#post8593215

Given my age - 61 - I probably did fairly well for my first rides in the city, and I hope I can do it again next year.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for the tour. I've always thought it would be quite interesting to ride in a large city but never had the chance. Your pics and story have given me a good dose of that experience. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUTSTANDING story and photos.

I lived in downtown Chicago for a couple months before we moved out to the burbs. I noticed traffic downtown late at night was pretty slack and thought it would be fun to ride in the city. At that point, I had not yet returned to cycling. I've since returned to the area of the ancestral environs, so the Chicago ride is probably out.

Anyway, yours was a great story, and I admire you not only for riding amongst all the people and cars, but also for doing it on a brand new bike.

Well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story and pics. My daughter is attending college in Milwaukee but interns in Chicago during the Summer. I've wondered what it might be like to bring my bike when I visit her this summer. You have inspired me to give it a go.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos! If you don't ride in major cities all that often, such a ride can be a real adventure not easily forgotten.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have New York, If I never went back there it would be too soon. Looks like you enjoyed it though.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning a trip to London in the future with a couple of lads from work. Traffic is awfull up there and with the new bike lanes opening up, cycling is supposed to be the quickest way to see the sights.

And a lot cheaper than trying to use Public transport and don't even think of tdriving a car in London unless you know where you are going- what traffic works are going to mess you up and you have nerves of steel.

So well done for staying in one piece and not putting too many marks on the Taxi's.

And thanks for showing us the pics.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the fall I ride with a group that starts out at 6:30 PM from an inner ring suburb of Cleveland. Every 3rd week or so they will take the ride into downtown Cleveland. Usually at night the main streets of the city are pretty much empty. I recall one ride several years ago where we rode past Progressive Field and Quicken Arena with games being played at both venues and the traffic still was light. Going up and over the bridges that cross the Cayougha River valley was always "game on sprints".
    oldschool areodynamic brick