Thread: Shorts

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shorts

I hesitate to ask this question, but here goes. My problem is that I am having a problem finding shorts with tight enough legs. They always are slipping up during the ride and causing some minor chafing. Does anyone know of any brands which might have tighter legs?
    Maybe the only answer is to ride enough to increase leg size,!

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant even wear regular shorts, they drive me up the wall! Bib shorts are the only way to go for me! Not sure what to do about the legs slipping up tho.
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Pearl Izumis grip my legs better than any other shorts I've owned.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of shorts are you now wearing? Most cycling shorts are cut so they don't tend to ride up if you have the correct size. I have a set of bibs I bought about 25 pounds ago and the very bottom of the leg opening seems a bit loose now. But they don't ride up or bunch up in the legs. I think I would second the motion of getting bibs and that migh solve the problem.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how bibs would help with this problem. They are great to prevent slipping down, but not so much for slipping up. I would look for shorts with good gripper elastic band on the legs. I wonder if the problem isn't the shorts are too large overall. Would a smaller size short fit the OP's waistline?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying a pair of Pearls in a smaller size now, but am still getting a bit of chafing. Maybe what I need to do now is play with the seat adjustment. With luck that might resolve the problem.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean the elastic on the bottom of the legs is riding up? You must have really thin legs, never heard of that problem with cycling shorts. Maybe a smaller size would work better for you.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    1987 Nishiki Altron 7000, 1991 Trek 520, 2008 Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to find some decent cycling shorts too. I want something other than that tight spandex looking stuff the kids wear. I am 52 years old and way beyond showing my massive masculinity to the world.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the Pear Izumi Ultrasensor shorts to be very comfortable.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by probe1957 View Post
    I need to find some decent cycling shorts too. I want something other than that tight spandex looking stuff the kids wear. I am 52 years old and way beyond showing my massive masculinity to the world.
    I would guess that the vast plurality of folks in this forum wear traditional lycra shorts or bibs and jerseys.

It is a matter of comfort and the best equipment for bicycling.

In fact, I think I will do a poll!!

(We havcen't had a FOX poll recently!)
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please vote and see the "what do you wear" poll results at:

What do you wear for most of your bicycling?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    i have found the pear izumi ultrasensor shorts to be very comfortable.
    +1
    George

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Giordanna (sp?) shorts are tighter in the thighs than my Pearl Izumis.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just received a pair of the Ultrasensor. Will try out tommorow.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    My problem is that I am having a problem finding shorts with tight enough legs. They always are slipping up during the ride and causing some minor chafing.
    Do you have hairy legs? Maybe the leg hair is allowing the shorts to ride up.

Many BF folks feel this way. ⬇
    Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    yeah

shaving looks good, helps when you crash, lets your leg grippers on your bibs to do their job (no more riding up legs) and their easier to clean the road grime off
    Last edited by RonH; 03-26-09 at 03:25 PM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Do you have hairy legs? Maybe the leg hair is allowing the shorts to ride up.

Many BF folks feel this way. ⬇
    I would think hair would help keep the shorts down. I dont happen to shave my legs...but it doesnt matter too much to me one way or the other if others shave their legs.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After research- I will buy online- but never on clothing.

Have you ever been clothes shopping with a young female- I did last Monday with my daughter and all she wanted was a couple of pairs of jeans and a couple of jerseys. Took 2 hours.--That is nothing compared to me. I go to a shop in London that has a large stock of clothing. My wife drops me off at the shop and calls back 3 hours later. I am just finalising my purchase and she will still have an hour or so to wait.

I always try on the shorts and even when I have found the pair I like for fit -sizing and colour (No red shorts for me)- I then take 3 pairs into the changing room to find the better fit out of the 3.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at what Areo tech has to offer I am sure you can find something that will work. Added bonus is the prices are really good as they are cutting out the middle man with direct buy from the factory.
    http://store.aerotechdesigns.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    You mean the elastic on the bottom of the legs is riding up? You must have really thin legs, never heard of that problem with cycling shorts. Maybe a smaller size would work better for you.
    I've bought a couple of pairs online only to find the grippers on the legs were loose (I'm lean but I wouldn't say really thin). No problem exchanging them, but it does happen. But most fit just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    I hesitate to ask this question, but here goes. My problem is that I am having a problem finding shorts with tight enough legs. They always are slipping up during the ride and causing some minor chafing. Does anyone know of any brands which might have tighter legs?
    Maybe the only answer is to ride enough to increase leg size,!
    Actually, good climbers have skinny legs. I have a similar problem, but it's in the hips. I found that Pearl Izumi provides a sizing chart that includes hip sizes. I've been buying from the hip size which makes them too tight in the legs and gut.

P I recently found a quantity of my favorite and no longer made chamois in a corner of their warehouse and mated them to a cheaper line of shorts. I happened by their outlet store at the right time and found these fit perfectly so I bought a 5 or 6 year supply

I may resort to going custom made for tights. There's a place in Durango that apparently will do custom. It won't be cheap, but they last me a long time.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by probe1957 View Post
    I always wear spandex, but had an amusing situation not long ago that your comment brought to mind. Our daughter and her husband arrived to go cycling and I was running late. In the rush, I put my spandex shorts on backwards. I felt a discomfort, but didn't bother the check why as we were running late. I figured I had grabbed an old stretched out of shape pair that should have been discarded.

After about 3/4's of the ride and after almost continuously trying to pull-up the back of my shorts so I wouldn't moon anybody, I figured what the situation was. When we got back to the house I told everyone what I had done. My son-in-law says "I thought you had the most manly chamois I'd ever seen". That of course broke everybody up.

Al