Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I still have a job? ....N+1

I'll find out on the 31st of this month if I'm being forced into Early Retirement or not.

I went out today and prepared myself in a manner that will be very suitable either way.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...55#post8607455

.....oh please boss, don't kick me out of work just as the cycling season is ready to start.
    (insert maniacal laughter)

If they don't give me the boot, I'll be able to pay for it (quicker)!

I do believe I've got all the bases covered this time.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice....very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way cool. First Mrs. Cranky gets a new bike, then Cranky himself comes up with a beauty of a 'bent. All is right in Rochester tonight.

As far as work goes, sounds like you got 'em right where you want 'em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike !!! I always like opening the door to the garage and seeing the reflection from the Schwalbes.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had redundancies at work and I was not one of them. Will be another round in the Autumn and might be lucky enough to retire early then.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny,

Good Luck to you. As YOU know, I am much happier since I got the boot, and I am adjusting well to life outside of the CUBE Farm that I worked. I work HARDER now, but I SMILE more and appreciate the good things more.

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Look kg481SL, Look kg361, Bianchi Eros, Vintage (gorgeous) Motobecane Grand Jubilee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell industrail floor resurfacing which is, almost always, funded through capital expenditures, at least the projects that pay real money. Haven't made a cent since January. As I don't need my car for sales calls, I ride my bike to the office (when I go) then, sit and cold call answering machines for a few hours. This would drive me insane, but the bike ride home keeps me "above ground" mentally. I just wish the weather would be better on a consistant basis.

The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man.......and give some back.-- Al Swearengen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year my husband's sales commissions were so bad that we lost our company-sponsored healthcare, one of the few reasons he stayed working for a large insurer (almost 20 years). He was already a "disgruntled employee" - the company was constantly pushing to sell products that weren't suited to his clients and he fought hard not to compromise his ethics. We also run a small retail business.

Two years ago, the local historical site offered my husband a part-time weekend gig making sure nobody walked off with any of the "exhibits" from the barracks and storehouse buildings, and answer questions about the site. Last year the site offered him a "seasonal" job working nearly full-time in the spring/summer/early fall as their "historical interpreter".

We discussed the pros and cons of him taking the job (and actually there were more cons than pros at the time), and decided that opportunities like this didn't get offered twice -- and he could always return to insurance sales if this didn't pan out. Frankly, I doubt if he'll ever return to insurance sales...

He's much happier now, more relaxed. He's lost weight and his BP is down. He doesn't grumble about going to work. He still has time for his other business; the site works around his schedule. His medical plan now covers only our daughter and him -- and has a high deductible and no prescription plan; I've got other coverage for myself.

We're making it. We haven't had to make large sacrifices (yet), and hopefully with diligence we'll continue to live within our means comfortably. The bills are being paid on time, nobody's going hungry, and the only large debt we have is our house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagraham View Post

Two years ago, the local historical site offered my husband a part-time weekend gig making sure nobody walked off with any of the "exhibits" from the barracks and storehouse buildings, and answer questions about the site. Last year the site offered him a "seasonal" job working nearly full-time in the spring/summer/early fall as their "historical interpreter".
    I worked as a historic interpreter for four years after retiring from my "career". It was intellectually gratifying, I actually enjoyed going to work for the first time in my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I worked as a historic interpreter for four years after retiring from my "career". It was intellectually gratifying, I actually enjoyed going to work for the first time in my life.
    Sometimes it's a blessing to find an occupation that is your avocation. Hopefully this site is able to withstand some economic downturn -- it's a private site, not run by the PHMC (PA Historical and Museum Commission). Our esteemed Governor has proposed closing many of the state-managed historic sites in PA.

Bicycling content? OK - The Fort Pitt Museum at Point State Park in Pittsburgh is on the closure list. Point State Park is situated on the Great Allegheny Passage, a premier bicycling destination (IMHO).

Judy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagraham View Post
    Sometimes it's a blessing to find an occupation that is your avocation. Hopefully this site is able to withstand some economic downturn -- it's a private site, not run by the PHMC (PA Historical and Museum Commission). Our esteemed Governor has proposed closing many of the state-managed historic sites in PA.

Bicycling content? OK - The Fort Pitt Museum at Point State Park in Pittsburgh is on the closure list. Point State Park is situated on the Great Allegheny Passage, a premier bicycling destination (IMHO).

Judy
    I left before the big economic crisis but I hear my old living history museum is now trying to operate with mostly volunteers. Oh, (bike content)and a major bike route goes right past the place.

Best wishes to your husband.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently trying to downsize and downscale my career. I don't need to make anywhere near the kind of money I used to, but I do need some income. I need to tone down my resume and aggressively pursue jobs for which I am "overqualified," but which sound like fun. Health insurance was a huge concern, but I got my wife and myself covered at tier 1 rates by Blue Shield.

I am thoroughly convinced we are just two years into Great Depression 2.0, and I can only hope that employment, traditionally a lagging indicator, picks up before I am too old to work.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

wafer thin dream peculiarplanet's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Vigorelli, GT ZuM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laid off in October 2008. I do freelance, but it's so much more work than the 9-5, searching for jobs, bidding for jobs, dealing with cheap clients.

still, it keeps me busy and that keeps my mind off other things. when I'm not freelancing onsite and can work from home, i do get to ride whenever i want. and the riding has totally helped with the stress.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I am currently trying to downsize and downscale my career. I don't need to make anywhere near the kind of money I used to, but I do need some income. I need to tone down my resume and aggressively pursue jobs for which I am "overqualified," but which sound like fun. Health insurance was a huge concern, but I got my wife and myself covered at tier 1 rates by Blue Shield.

I am thoroughly convinced we are just two years into Great Depression 2.0, and I can only hope that employment, traditionally a lagging indicator, picks up before I am too old to work.
    I toned down my resume because I was finding out I was overqualified for the positions I was applying for. I have sent out one so far since redoing it and have a job interview next week Thursday. It will be about a ten dollar an hour cut in pay if I get lucky enough to get it but I also don't need to make the money I used too, kids are gone and house is almost paid for. Just looking for a job thats half the responsibility and more free time.
    Jeff

Trek 930
    1988 Cannondale ST400

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bent!

Last fall I had the option of buying either a new '06 RANS Stratus for $1000 or an '07 slightly used (500-600 miles) Tour Easy EX for $1200. Was really torn between the two as I liked both very much. Eventually went with the Stratus because I found it a little more comfortable on rail trails, but would have been very happy with either. Might have gone with the TE if I was only going to ride asphalt surfaces. I wanted to buy both.

Best of luck to you on your career situation. May you reap what you really want.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ang1sgt View Post
    Lenny,

Good Luck to you. As YOU know, I am much happier since I got the boot, and I am adjusting well to life outside of the CUBE Farm that I worked. I work HARDER now, but I SMILE more and appreciate the good things more.

Chris
    Thanks Chris.
    Being retirement eligable, I'm not in dire straights either way. I would prefer to continue at my current job, but we can survive without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Nice bent!

Last fall I had the option of buying either a new '06 RANS Stratus for $1000 or an '07 slightly used (500-600 miles) Tour Easy EX for $1200. Was really torn between the two as I liked both very much. Eventually went with the Stratus because I found it a little more comfortable on rail trails, but would have been very happy with either. Might have gone with the TE if I was only going to ride asphalt surfaces. I wanted to buy both.

Best of luck to you on your career situation. May you reap what you really want.
    Thank you Sir,

I paid more than I believe the bike is really worth, but I'm a firm believer in grabbing hold of an opportunity when it presents itself as the next one may well be a long way off. My two options were also a Stratus and a Tour Easy. I personally liked the Tour Easy better. My EZ Sport will handle the trails of crushed limestone quite nicely while the TE will conquer the asphalt. The bike literally took me up the hill during my test ride, and the fit and feel of the bike is undescribable. If any bike can make a road warrior out of me, this is the one. This bike may actually leave me fulfilled. I see no more N+1 in my next few years.

Like I told Chris, we'll survive which ever way the job takes us. One way will be financially easier and the other will give me more bike time. This has been the first of our annual layoffs that I've not been at all concerned about.

How can a guy be depressed with a garage full of great bikes?
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-27-09 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's life after forced retirement. I got bought out from a newspaper job in November of '07, and after about six weeks of doing "what I've always wanted time to do," I'd done about enough of it. I was offered a radio talk show and I've been doing that ever since. It's a lot of fun, and I just got moved from mid-morning to afternoon drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Darn!

I've got to keep coming into work, at least until the next downsizing.

Oh well, less ride time but more income and certainly less financial strain to cover the Health Care insurance.

Looks like I lucked out again.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I keep hoping the owner will give me the boot but my wife has told me she won't fire me until I fire her...

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a 1-week short course teaching gig and the title of CTO in a still-unfunded startup company, plus three public speaking engagements, so things might start getting interesting around here.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Well, I keep hoping the owner will give me the boot but my wife has told me she won't fire me until I fire her...
    Don't be a jerk. Your posts are full of your vanity.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I just picked up a 1-week short course teaching gig and the title of CTO in a still-unfunded startup company, plus three public speaking engagements, so things might start getting interesting around here.

Well done! Hope they work out for you.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieja Cabra View Post
    ????

Your comments seem unusually harsh.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Oh Darn!

I've got to keep coming into work, at least until the next downsizing.

Oh well, less ride time but more income and certainly less financial strain to cover the Health Care insurance.

Looks like I lucked out again.
    Congratulations, I think!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieja Cabra View Post
    wtf?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast