Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: knee problems

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

knee problems

This started with the left knee. A bit swollen, the pain is minor but the area is extremely tight and I have difficulty bending it completely. It doesn't hurt to ride but something isn't right. It hurts as much behind the knee as in front, maybe more.

I assumed initially it was due to overcompensating for my bad left hip or a change in saddle position but now the same problem has developed in the other knee.

Part of the problem is that I don't stretch and I hammer up a mountainside every morning right out my door for a commute in sub zero temps but I've been doing that for a long time with no problem. Rest doesn't seem to help.

Someone suggested Glucosamine. I'm not sure who to consult. Don't much wanna go to the doctor and not even sure which kind but I'm worried at some point it will effect my ability to ride. Is this just an aging problem and I just need to ride though it? Any help or comments from anyone with anything similar appreciated. btw, this has been with me now for a couple months. Been using advil. Thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna reply to my own post.

Someone I work with just suggested it was only a matter of stretching. I hope that's true. A much more demanding stretching regimen to start pronto.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knee problems come to a lot of us.I actually took up riding due to a knee problem and it does flare up occasionally. For me- Building up the quad muscles will help but If I feel any pain- I still keep riding but spin a bit higher and don't push it too hard till I can exercise it enough to lose the pain.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, GT Talera, Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hammering up that hill right at the start of your ride can't be helping. I've got a pretty good incline at the start of one of my routes, I usually head away from it for a half mile or so before turning around so I end up hitting it with a mile's worth of movement under my belt. I don't know if this is physiologically sound, but it seems to work better than just hitting the hill cold.

I've been plagued by a nagging left knee on and off for years. A little bit of tweaking my position on the bike, a bit of working the muscles surrounding the knee, and a whole lot of stretching have worked wonders. If I stretch on a regular basis (at least three days a week, preferably every day), I find I have little trouble. Your line about taking on a more "demanding" stretching regimen pronto leads me to think you might be suffering from overexertion! There's an excellent book on stretching by Bob Anderson. It costs about $10 - $15 and is worth every penny.

Good luck.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmurf View Post
    Hammering up that hill right at the start of your ride can't be helping. I've got a pretty good incline at the start of one of my routes, I usually head away from it for a half mile or so before turning around so I end up hitting it with a mile's worth of movement under my belt. I don't know if this is physiologically sound, but it seems to work better than just hitting the hill cold.

I've been plagued by a nagging left knee on and off for years. A little bit of tweaking my position on the bike, a bit of working the muscles surrounding the knee, and a whole lot of stretching have worked wonders. If I stretch on a regular basis (at least three days a week, preferably every day), I find I have little trouble. Your line about taking on a more "demanding" stretching regimen pronto leads me to think you might be suffering from overexertion! There's an excellent book on stretching by Bob Anderson. It costs about $10 - $15 and is worth every penny.

Good luck.
    I heard of that book years ago, now it's time to get it. I should mention I've tried icing too...didn't seem to help. This right knee tightness has come on like gangbusters seemingly out of nowhere.

I've wondered if spinning a bit more on the hills or staying seated for the whole ride might help. Hard for me to do though.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche