Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who Stands to Climb?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Who Stands to Climb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 08:26 PM
Cycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess that I stand probably 75% of the time. I've just always done it that way because my Dad did and I followed his lead.
Old 04-07-09, 02:36 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 mile climbs like this, I prefer to remain seated. I have plenty of buds that say I should stand. I'm not sure why! They stand, gain speed then slow dramatically when returning to the saddle. I prefer to keep a consistent pace and effort.

Old 04-07-09, 05:19 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suzie Green
I guess that I stand probably 75% of the time. I've just always done it that way because my Dad did and I followed his lead.
You probably never have saddle issues.
Old 04-07-09, 06:00 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 357 Posts
Except for short bursts, I have to slow my cadence way down when standing on steep hills, otherwise my heart rate goes through the roof. Instead of 80-90 rpm, I might be standing at 50-60 rpm.

I can climb 20% grades pretty easily, but there, I'm doing one pedal stroke a second (30 rpm) and balancing the bike, going 3 mph.

For example, this short 18% grade on Monastery Road in Cincinnati. Slowing to 3-4 mph, it's not very difficult. Actually, the longer 10-12% grade around the corner is hard for me, since I don't want to stand all the way up.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-07-09 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 06:16 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
A good climber, "dancing on the pedals" while standing, looks much more graceful and powerful than somebody sitting and grinding it out...
See this video from the King of Jester hill climb. The rider at the 0:50 mark has that good form, at about 60-65 rpm. Of course, he does get passed by the rider grinding it out (my knees and back hurt just watching him).

I read a few years ago, that you know the hill is steep when the concrete trucks dribble concrete out the back when they drive up. You can see it on the road all the way up the hill in the video.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-07-09 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 06:25 AM
too old for bike shorts?

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sit and spin for the long hills. I figure that's what all these gears are for! As a psychological thing, if I don't think too far ahead up the hill, and I can imagine I'm on the flat. I may or may not stand for short steep hills, depending somewhat on whether I'm coming from a flat stretch or a downhill, but also whether I've stood in a while. Whichever way, the commitment to initial choice of gear comes fairly early on the hill. Standing cadence is slower, so if I chose too high I gear I usually sit down rather than shift down on the hill.
Old 04-07-09, 07:07 AM
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
You probably never have saddle issues.
Come to think of that, yes you're right! I'm always in and out of the saddle and never seem to suffer the sore spots that plague others. Maybe I just have more natural padding.
Old 04-07-09, 11:06 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Suzie Green
Maybe I just have more natural padding.

Or you do a lotta short rides! My wife is blessed with plenty of cushion and even she gets a little tender after 70 or 80 miles. Nothing painful, just a lil tender!