Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Todays ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todays ride.

Clock changed this morning and a Frost overnight. Air temp at 10am was only 34F but the sun was out so will warm up

Son- in- law and myself and as he has to get riding again- and I need to start getting fitter- we only planned a 25 miler on a flat route.

Within 3 miles- I realised how cold it still was. Should have put on the long finger gloves as they lost all feeling. Ross was on the FCR and he had to get used to it- so it was going to be a slow ride in any case but did not realise how slow we were going to make it. He had done the same on the gloves and I realised why I had to find the spare gloves this morning. He only has MTB long finger gloves but as he was roading it- He borrowed the gloves from the bike shed. His hands went bluer than mine. Serves him right.

So down to the Seafront with that cold wind and checked the temp. Only 36- but it was brilliant sun and if you stood still- the sun soon warmed you up. Coffee and a bit of healthy eating this morning- No Pie so I had a low cholesterol Meringue with a bit of fruit in it. I know- I should have found another cafe- but I blame it on Ross- I still had to get him home so that he could cut my grass this afternoon.

So only 23 miles in a cold biting wind. Nice to get back onto the TCR again- and Ross did like the FCR. Just a pity about No PIE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not that cold here, but the rain is coming down in sheets, no ride today it seems. Just as well, attended my son's 40th birthday part last night and over indulged. Moving slow today. Congrats on the cold ride.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I still had to get him home so that he could cut my grass this afternoon.
    I stand in awe that you are able to get your son-in-law to mow your lawn.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fresh snow here, so no riding today.

Went out yesterday. Winds NE and strong! Temp was 25 at the start, warmed up to 30 by the time I got home. Able to put 30 miles on, but bonked badly over the 5 of it.

I was generally warm enough except for my face. I started to numb up and found it very hard to drink from the spout of my bottle. Had to take the top off to get a drink.

Great ride, though. Just a blast to be out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, I did the Tour de Ranch Metric Century. At the start, it looked like we would be able to get the ride done before the the really nasty stuff started. Well... didn't make it.

At mile 52, nasties arrived with great sound and fury. After one really srong gust, I looked around to see my ridemate on the ground. The wind blew him off the bike. We spent the next 20 minutes cowering in a ditch being pelted by heavy rain and hail, listening to the lightning crack all around. I said we must be the only two idiots still out. Nope, a few minutes later two guys went by. Never saw us, a few feet off the road.

This ride falls into the "sounded like a good idea at the time". Next time I'll take the Weather Channel to heart. Yes, we were idiots to start and stupid to continue.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam it is strange how our perspectives change. A few months ago 25 miles seemed like a pretty good days ride to me. Now it is usually the halfway mark.

Spring has just started here and I have added Saturday afternoon rides to my weekly schedule. Normally I ride with some of the club racers as they do their recovery rides. This Saturday I was expecting just such a ride when it turned out that only two of us would be riding. I was riding with one of our master 40+ riders and normally he would have been riding an easy pace because he races on Sunday. Well he decided to pass on racing this Sunday so we took the pace up a notch. Nothing stressful but averaged closer to 18 mph. This would have been ok as well if we were not heading directly into a head wind. I was puffing a bit after 8 miles and decided it was time to draft my younger stronger friend. I was concentrating so hard to hang on to his back wheel that we were halfway up a small hill before I even realized it. Didn’t get a chance to stop for pie but the ride home was great. 10 miles of tail wind even on a slight uphill grade. Turned into a 34 mile afternoon jaunt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference an ocean and continent can make.

Today’s ride was about perfect weather wise. We had a new member joining our group and we started out the day with 10 riders and ended the day with 7.

I can tell I must be getting used to this cycling thing because in the past there was no way I would try to climb even a slow grade and take pictures. Still at this point there were three in front of me.

And two in back.

The guy in the very back is on a brand new Giant TT bike. But the seat post is set just a bit too high and the bars still need to be cut in the Aero position. Still it is one good looking bike. But as you can see it is a good looking spring day. Next stop the coffee shop.
    Last edited by Robert Foster; 03-30-09 at 11:36 PM.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, that cake looks good.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go and get your own

This ones mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HELLO ALL/ Im rideing most days now /yesterday I loaded my bike trailer with the baged rubbish and headed for the dump[open 2 days a week] to much for one wheel that kept unhooking //an hour and 3 unhooks later I made it home///and fixed that damm wheel.Kenneth

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go and get your own

This ones mine.
    I can't believe you ate the whole thing.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go and get your own

This ones mine.
    I think the real reason for the war of 1812 was because the brits ate all the cake. Keep it up Stapfam and you will need a bigger Union Jack et.