Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling Jersey Heaven - not

Long story short. Take kids and grandkids to airport. Wife wants to stop and get a bite so off the I-17 at Anthem, AZ. Go to Mika-Donalds(granddaughter's moniker for Mikey D's) and then stop at the factory outlets across the way.

To my glee there sits a Pearl Izumi Factory Outlet store! Holy of holys, the credit card is going to be maxed. Visions of factory samples, one of a kinds, misprinted stuff, all at prices too low to print. You know how we 50+ers love a cycling deal.

However upon entering my bubble was quickly burst. Everything execpt one puny rack of managers specials was at FULL MSRP!! Holy cow, I can do better at the local LBS. What a letdown.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Long story short. Take kids and grandkids to airport. Wife wants to stop and get a bite so off the I-17 at Anthem, AZ. Go to Mika-Donalds(granddaughter's moniker for Mikey D's) and then stop at the factory outlets across the way.

To my glee there sits a Pearl Izumi Factory Outlet store! Holy of holys, the credit card is going to be maxed. Visions of factory samples, one of a kinds, misprinted stuff, all at prices too low to print. You know how we 50+ers love a cycling deal.

However upon entering my bubble was quickly burst. Everything execpt one puny rack of managers specials was at FULL MSRP!! Holy cow, I can do better at the local LBS. What a letdown.
    I learned sometime back that "Outlet" Malls and Stores can sometimes be more expensive than the normal channels of distribution.

Another one is "Wal-Mart". I've said many times, "Just because Wal Mart has it doesn't mean you can't get it cheaper somewhere else.".
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    allez elite / rockhopper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorta like these stores that like to run a %20 sale on stuff but mark the old price up by 30% before the sale.... darn retail stores
    I hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out! You selfish son of a b***h! - wedding crashers

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One LBS here had a big sale today advertising 10-30% off all 2008 and older bikes. Place was crawling with people! Bike I went to check out was same price as it has been listed for weeks, which was a reduced price I must admit. Still, I had hoped for a better incentive to go N+1.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Look 586, Condor Baracchi, Litespeed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pearl Izumi would have a lot of PO'd bike shop dealers if Pearl was blowing stuff out cheap at their company store. It would devalue the product at Pearl's regular dealers.

The purpose (in my opinion) of the Pearl Izumi stores is to offer an environment that enhances the value of the product (great displays, great looking store, knowledgable staff). Bike shops generally don't do a good job of merchandising bike apparel.

Dan

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlets often have merchandise that is made specifically to be sold there and it is not the same quality. Sometimes you will find a legit sale but most of the time you get what you pay for.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a PI outlet store somewhere near Atlanta that I have thought about checking out. Thanks for saving me the trouble.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local bike shops can't afford to inventory much in the way of bike apparel. If you want choice of styles, sizes, etc.......then, despite their full price, the PI store might have been OK.
    Given that bike (especially jersey) sizes vary so much, a bigger selection seems good to me.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also noted that the "Outlet Mall Stores", with few exceptions, don't have any great deals. I have found two GREAT places for cheap clothes, though . . . if you live in California.

First, the ReCyclery in San Rafael. I have purchased 8 used jerseys there for an aveage price of $10. They also have jackets, shorts, shoes, hats, bikes and bike parts, etc. But jerseys are their forte. Look for shops in your area that might support some charity foundation.

The second is the Voler Cycle Wear company in Grover Beach, near San Luis Obispo. I was in to talk to them about a jersey design when I discovered their outlet store (just a big room). Production over run jerseys were $20-30. They were from charity rides, "Emma's Restaurant" etc. But really nice. They also had a few arm warmers, shorts, gloves, etc. Look for cycling clothes manufacturing companies in our area.

I love jerseys. I now have 30. Thank goodness for gifts and used ones.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by love2pedal.com View Post
    Pearl Izumi would have a lot of PO'd bike shop dealers if Pearl was blowing stuff out cheap at their company store. It would devalue the product at Pearl's regular dealers.

The purpose (in my opinion) of the Pearl Izumi stores is to offer an environment that enhances the value of the product (great displays, great looking store, knowledgable staff). Bike shops generally don't do a good job of merchandising bike apparel.

Dan
    Agree but this is a pretty expensive way to show your wares. Staff did not even ask if they could help me. While I was in the store 5 or 6 folks came in looked and walked out empty handed. One would expect at least a small discount off MSRP. Also while the selection was better than most LBS it was not great. Even the Nike store in the same place had some discount off MSRP.

My Bikes
    Look 586, Condor Baracchi, Litespeed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oilman,

I agree with you that from your experience, Pearl is not maximizing the potential of their store whether as an outlet to move old product or a place to showcase their current products. Unfortunately, having a business doing a so-so job and squandering opportunities is too common.

Dan