Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride Giant Cypress??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder if anyone out there (besides me) owns or rides Giant Cypress...
Old 04-01-09, 11:37 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Those branches hurt.........maybe a smaller cypress will do.

My friend does. She turned into an Extracycle.

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-01-09, 01:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Those branches hurt.........maybe a smaller cypress will do.
Does she have a problem with the saddle? It's quite wide and very comfortable for me.

What bothers me a bit with my Giant Cypress 2009 bike is the height of the handlebar (too high). Also the front suspension is too soft. It seems to me that the suspension is absorbing too much energy. I'm not sure if the front suspension is adjustable. I guess it is.
Old 04-01-09, 01:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One more look at the picture and I have noticed that (if I'm not mistaken) she modified the handle bar:
1. lowered the stem
2. replaced handle bars
3. put handle bar ends
Old 04-01-09, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bagel007
My wife owns a Giant Cypress and likes it a lot, hers is about 6 years old and still looks like new, maybe because she hasn't ridden it much. In my opinion it is a very nice ride, rolls well and is very well made.
When she has ridden it, it has been mostly on bike paths and I notice she gets a better roll out of it than I get on my Trek mountain bike. Billed as a hybrid, it moves much faster.
Old 04-01-09, 02:42 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
She says she likes the saddle as is.

There are knobs on the top of your shock. If you look at the owner's manual it will tell you the difference and which way to turn. One is rebound (speed to get back to neutral) and one is firmness.

She changed her handlebar set up (notice the bar ends are on backwards) so she can sit on the skateboard on the back and pedal from there. Usually hybrids are set up for a more upright riding position.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-01-09, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, FCR2, Cypress

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have one that I like a lot. I made it my commuter bike with a rack and bags, lights and fenders. My long distance ride is a Giant TCR2 road bike, but the Cypress has wider tires and lower gears which work well for commuting and a little light trail riding. Don't think it would replace a mountain bike for pure off road duty, but it scores very high in my book for versatility. I had considered a Trek Navigator; its very similar.
Old 04-01-09, 03:36 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I purchased a 2008 model last spring for $330. It has been a great starter bike for someone rediscovering cycling. I rode it for about 1500 miles last year, mostly commuting. 100% reliable. Comfortable and able to maintain 16mph, so not really that slow.

I've upgraded to a steel framed Cyclocross bike and now use the Cypress as a utility bike.

Michael

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-01-09, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I purchased a 2008 model last spring for $330. It has been a great starter bike for someone rediscovering cycling. I rode it for about 1500 miles last year, mostly commuting. 100% reliable. Comfortable and able to maintain 16mph, so not really that slow.

I've upgraded to a steel framed Cyclocross bike and now use the Cypress as a utility bike.

Michael
Thanks for your reply. I purchased mine less than two weeks ago (2009 model). I'm having two problems with the bike.

The first problem -- I hear some noise coming from the crank, especially when I shift to the 5th gear. The last Saturday I went to the store, but they were looking at the front wheel, since I was not sure at that time where it is coming from. I have the feeling (maybe I'm wrong) that something is also slowing the bike.

The second problem -- the front suspension feels too soft (for me). I'm not sure it's possible to adjust it.

I'll have to go back to the store this Saturday and ask them to take the bike for a spin. I'm quite concerned about the noise. Explaining them what's wrong and checking the bike on the repair stand is not the same thing as feeling it in person during a ride.
Old 04-01-09, 05:05 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Thanks for your reply. I purchased mine less than two weeks ago (2009 model). I'm having two problems with the bike.

The first problem -- I hear some noise coming from the crank, especially when I shift to the 5th gear. The last Saturday I went to the store, but they were looking at the front wheel, since I was not sure at that time where it is coming from. I have the feeling (maybe I'm wrong) that something is also slowing the bike.

The second problem -- the front suspension feels too soft (for me). I'm not sure it's possible to adjust it.

I'll have to go back to the store this Saturday and ask them to take the bike for a spin. I'm quite concerned about the noise. Explaining them what's wrong and checking the bike on the repair stand is not the same thing as feeling it in person during a ride.
The shop should test ride it to find the noise. If the noise stops when you are coasting, it could be the bottom bracket or hub.

The fork is too soft, most of these are.

I went with a steel framed & carbon fiber forked Cyclocross bike as an upgrade. Its very smooth, tough and faster. But it cost 4X as much!

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-01-09, 05:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a man's model and a lady's model. My 26 year daughter has the lady's bike right now, but my wife is about to reclaim it. The man's model is hanging on a hook in the garage--it was mine, then our youngest son rode it, and now it hangs there while I ride a Specialized Roubaix. I'm thinking of resurecting it for a second home, but it will require some modest upgrades.

It was okay for an around the neighborhood bike, but not for any serious riding.
Old 04-01-09, 07:08 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ironic that this is my wife's nickname for me.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-02-09, 07:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 67walkon
We have a man's model and a lady's model. My 26 year daughter has the lady's bike right now, but my wife is about to reclaim it. The man's model is hanging on a hook in the garage--it was mine, then our youngest son rode it, and now it hangs there while I ride a Specialized Roubaix. I'm thinking of resurecting it for a second home, but it will require some modest upgrades.

It was okay for an around the neighborhood bike, but not for any serious riding.
The Specialized Roubaix is a different category. The Giant Cypress MSRP is $410, the MSRP for the Specialized Roubaix is $1500. The Giant Cypress is a "hybrid" bike, the Specialized Roubaix is a road bike.

I ride the bike for about 5-10 miles a day, so far. Neighborhood streets on the way to the park and a bike trail in the park. Not a flat terrain though. But, as I said, I have the bike for less than two weeks and I'm planning to use it for longer rides. I want to "squeeze" the maximum from the bike (and myself).
Old 04-02-09, 07:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are knobs on the top of your shock. If you look at the owner's manual it will tell you the difference and which way to turn. One is rebound (speed to get back to neutral) and one is firmness.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be in the bike store this coming Saturday and I'll ask them to adujst the fimness of the front suspension and to show me how to do it (in case I'll need to fine-tune it).

Now that I see that there are two ways to adjust the front suspension, I wonder which one of them (rebound speed OR firmness) is more important for bike performance.
Old 04-02-09, 08:37 AM
Have bike, will travel

I ride the bike for about 5-10 miles a day, so far. Neighborhood streets on the way to the park and a bike trail in the park. Not a flat terrain though. But, as I said, I have the bike for less than two weeks and I'm planning to use it for longer rides. I want to "squeeze" the maximum from the bike (and myself).
The Giant Cypress can do longer rides if speed is not important. I did several 40 mile rides last year. I can maintain a 14 mph pace without too much effort. I could hold a 16 mph for about an hour if no hills or headwinds are involved. The bike is heavy and does not accelerate well, but once it's up to speed it can maintain speed well enough.

I'm about 3 mph faster on my Cyclocross bike with 700x28 Gatorskins (road bike tires).

The Cypress is a real bike. The are other good bikes for about $450, but the Cypress was a very good value for me at $330.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-02-09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-02-09, 10:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be in the bike store this coming Saturday and I'll ask them to adujst the fimness of the front suspension and to show me how to do it (in case I'll need to fine-tune it).

Now that I see that there are two ways to adjust the front suspension, I wonder which one of them (rebound speed OR firmness) is more important for bike performance.
I would go as firm as possible and adjust the rebound to slow. Rebound on slow stops the fork reacting as fast to bumps and seems to stop the bike from bobbing quite as much.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-02-09, 11:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I'm not sure that the front suspension is adjustable at all. There is no specific manual for Giant Cypress, as far as I know. I was given the same manual that is online (https://local2007.giant-bicycles.com/...0226-small.pdf). The manual doesn't say anything explicitly about the front suspension on Giant Cypress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front suspension.JPG (74.5 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by bagel007; 04-02-09 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 05:44 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I put nearly 3000 miles on my Cypress last year, the first full year I had it. Included in those 3K miles are the Metric Half Tour de Sewer and the imperial Half LARiver Ride. And I still like to use it on Sundays when I ride 30-40 miles which include a stop at a farmers' market. I guess none of that is "serious riding," whatever the hell "serious riding" is.

Don't rag on the hybrids, you roadie snob.
Old 04-02-09, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
I put nearly 3000 miles on my Cypress last year . . .
Don't rag on the hybrids, you roadie snob.
On the same note, don't look down on riders with weak engines who need six-pound bikes to keep up. <G>
Old 04-02-09, 08:16 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Condorita
Don't rag on the hybrids...
I agree. My Cypress helped me get back into cycling after a 30 year absence . I began commuting and lost 25 lbs in 4 months. A road bike would not have been as comfortable, tough or as trouble free as the Cypress. I may not have stuck with it if I had been on any other bike.

Like most cyclist, I did move on to another bike after about 1500 miles. By then I had sorted out what works best for me.

Michael
Old 05-10-15, 05:47 AM

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The first problem -- I hear some noise coming from the crank, especially when I shift to the 5th gear. The last Saturday I went to the store, but they were looking at the front wheel, since I was not sure at that time where it is coming from. I have the feeling (maybe I'm wrong) that something is also slowing the bike."

Hi Bagel007 - I have the same problem with my Giant Cypress bike, there is a clicking noise coming from the crank, when I put any pressure on the right side pedal with my foot, especially going up hill. I have taken it to a bike shop but they couldn't test it out as no hills! Not sure what to do about it. Did you ever find out what the problem was please? I would be very interested to know if so. I was told the bike has a sealed crank. The bike is pretty good except for this annoying problem. Kind Regards Wendy B
Old 05-10-15, 12:41 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have a 2010 Giant Cypress and it has been a very good bike. I don't ride it as much as I used to and now use it when riding around the neighborhood and with friends that don't own road bikes. When I was using it as a primary bike, I found absolutely nothing wrong with it. I did change the saddle to one that was more of a road bike saddle than one that was large and over padded. I put nearly 2,500 miles on the Cypress in the little over six months that it was my primary bike. I often wish that my friends that don't have road bikes would do more riding so I can get some more rides on the Cypress.

Edit: I was looking for this photo when I posted this the other day. Finally found it so it's getting posted a few days late.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MyCypress.jpg (101.0 KB, 103 views)

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 05-12-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, I changed the saddle as well for a more comfy one, I got it secondhand and don't think it had original saddle on. Haven't tried any other bikes as am happy with this hybrid, although it is quite heavy to lift onto a cycle carrier. Have done about 200 miles in the last 3 weeks or so and the clicking sound is getting quite annoying now!! Will take it into a shop if I can't figure it out. Maybe something needs tightening up!
Old 05-10-15, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Ditch the sus, fork and put a rigid fork on it. I had a Cypress for a year with rigid fork and used it as a commuter bike with drop bars, and it worked very well. Always thought it would have made a good touring bike. Good bikes. I have two Ferraro's in my shop that are getting refurbished for the customer. These are the older ones with rigid fork, and the people want to fix them because they really like them.
Old 05-10-15, 08:44 PM

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I have ridden a Giant Cypress for the last two years. I rode over 5,000 miles last year.

The only problem I have with the saddle is I slide a little bit forward sometimes. I have no problem with the handlebar height. At 6"3 the handlebars are almost the same level as the seat due to how high I have to have the seat up.

Attached Images

Last edited by jskash; 05-10-15 at 08:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.