Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who's Your Townie?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Who's Your Townie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's Your Townie?

Hi everyone

I think I finally found a bike I like. I haven't actually seen or ridden one yet but I'm heading over tomorrow to check one out.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this line / model? Thanks in advance for your help.

https://www.rei.com/product/781222
Old 04-01-09, 01:39 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've discussed Electra Townies several times here. And they've been a popular topic in the Recreational forum too.

Many people find them very comfortable. They tend to be on the heavier, slower side, but they were designed to be fun, not fast. They, and other crank-forward bikes, have been successful in getting many people back on bikes who had given up riding because it was uncomfortable.

Many people find them easier to ride up hills, as they are able to pull on the handlebars to push harder on the pedals. They tend to be slower up a hill, but can enable people to get over a hill that they might not have been able to do on a traditional bike.

This particular Townie, the Euro 24D, is one of their upscale models. It blends their crank forward design with a classic European-style commuter. Looks nice. The component level is also better than what is found on some of their other models.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-01-09, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No direct experience with this bike but have read mixed reviews. You do not state your experience level or what type of riding you have done or might want to be doing.

Couple of things to consider: What type of riding are you going to be doing, this set up would be ok for shorter, cruising type rides, but does not look like you would want to do long rides on it. The pedals forward are a matter of taste, but it seems they would not be great for climbing. Also, while an upright position might seem like it would be more comfortable, the spine actually takes more punishment than when you are leaning forward. Lastly, one size fits all does not work for bikes.
Old 04-01-09, 01:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Will agree with Tom and TimTruro.

The Townie is a bike you should test ride before buying. And compare it to a conventional bike at the same time.

The mixed reviews come form those that do like the bike for their style of riding and those that bought the bike and and then found out they do not like the riding position.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-01-09, 02:07 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that they (Townie and other crank forwards) are not the best bike for all (what is?). The Townie and several other crank forwards, from Giant, Trek, etc., are recreational bikes. Built for comfort and fun, good exercise, riding in the park and around the neighborhood. People do go on long'ish rides on them. I've known many people to take 30-50 mile rides on them, a few even do 70+. Knocking off a 40 mile rail trail ride on one is easily doable. But it takes longer. And you don't tend to see people riding them on club rides or in timed events. I do see them on bike paths, sometimes entire groups of people riding them, out having a good time.

RANS makes a higher performance crank forward. Theirs tend to be lighter, using higher quality components, with a more aggressive crank forward design. Still no speed demon and not very aerodynamic, but more fun for the enthusiastic rider.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-01-09, 02:35 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, Tom, love the new Avatar!
Old 04-01-09, 03:17 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Like some of you, I had that "Lack of Real Performance" image of the Townie. That was before I saw someone at the start of the Eastern Sierra Double Century on one. I mean, seriously, this ride has 200 miles and 10,200 feet of elevation gain with a 17 Hour time limit.

I thought "No way is that guy going to finish in time!" I was wrong, he did finish under the time limit and looked pretty happy at the end! Yeah, I finished a couple of hours before he did, but neither was he the last finisher.

So . . . you just never know.

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-01-09, 03:33 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Hey, Tom, love the new Avatar!
I'm trying it out.

It's the Mr. Potato Head Hellboy Edition.

Old 04-01-09, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everyone for the great feedback.

my intent and interest is a really comfortable bike for casual and commuter rides in LA. (6 miles from home to office) (getting back in the saddle after 10+ years)

I've never seen or ridden a crank-forward design and as this thread proves there are mixed reviews. I will try this out before purchasing for certain.

After some time riding commuter regularly, and when I feel ready, I can always purchase a second bike for faster / more aggressive riding.

So I think the consensus is this is probably a great bike for easy, urban, commuter riding?
Old 04-01-09, 04:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngeloOldSpokes

So I think the consensus is this is probably a great bike for easy, urban, commuter riding?
Many people like this bike for that type of riding. I've rarely seen complaints by a Townie owner for rides of this type.

But some commuters like a more aggressive ride, so one can never speak for everyone.

Old 04-01-09, 04:40 PM

Bikes: 1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have ridden the Townies and definitely am getting one. They are very smooth and very comfortable. I only test rode a few so don't know about long haul and comfort The Sport 105 and Tiagra models are supposed to be a little lighter and supposedly faster.(This is according to the company.) I've had back surgery and cannot tolerate my diamondback mountain bike anymore. The bike shop I went to said they are selling like wild, they can't keep them in the store and to order way ahead of time.
Old 04-02-09, 08:07 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't want one, but they are very popular (and cool!) and if they get people riding, good for them! I accept that not everyone is going to embrace the same kind of bicycling experience that I like, and vice versa, but if people ride more we'll have a healthier populace and a better environment. ....I think. Maybe pedals forward fans will evolve into recumbent riders.
Old 04-02-09, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a commuter friendly bike, yet no chain guard. Is there a downside to putting chain guards on bikes like this?

When I was looking for a commuter/fun/errand bike the chain guard was one of my must haves, as if I'm dressed and pressed I'm not wrinkling up my pants leg. The bike had to be built for that.
Old 04-02-09, 08:50 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have something even more crank forward than a Townie.

It is as close to a one size fits all as I believe you can get unless you go full recumbent. But for an upright bike it is the most comfortable machine I have ever ridden. It has a comfortable seat/saddle that adjust up and down with the flick of a lever and an adjustable handlebar that adjusts up and down plus forward and back for reach. The seat has a back rest and is shock supported. I credit the Revive for getting me back into cycling after a 20+ year absents. It is not fast and I don’t like climbing hills with it even with 21 gears. But even if my sitter is sore after a 70 mile ride with the bike club and I can jump on the Revive for a ride to the store or park. So if getting back into cycling is your goal some pedal forward bikes work quite well. Just realize what the strength of the bike is and don’t try to compare it with a MTB or road bike. Besides if you get something like a townie it will be the beginning of your understanding of N+1.
Old 04-02-09, 09:25 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by charmed
It looks like a commuter friendly bike, yet no chain guard. Is there a downside to putting chain guards on bikes like this?
I believe it does have a chain guard. If you zoom in on the crank, you'll see an almost clear plastic guard bolted onto the outer ring.

Old 04-02-09, 11:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Crank forward: not an altogether new idea.

tcs
Old 04-03-09, 04:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a six mile commute, I think I'd get something a little faster. Like a Salsa Casseroll.

Not that I'm biased or anything.
Old 04-03-09, 06:23 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
I have something even more crank forward than a Townie.

My husband rides the same bike. He has lower back issues and has not been able to get comfortable enough on any diamond frame to ride more than 9 miles. With the Revive, he has been able to ride parts of the Erie Canal Path with me. Too bad it has been discontinued.
Old 04-03-09, 06:36 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Looks like fun. Go for it!

Old 04-03-09, 09:25 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith
My husband rides the same bike. He has lower back issues and has not been able to get comfortable enough on any diamond frame to ride more than 9 miles. With the Revive, he has been able to ride parts of the Erie Canal Path with me. Too bad it has been discontinued.
It is the bike that got me back into cycling. I still ride it now and then for a quick jaunt to the store or up to the park on a nice day. Right now I am trying to get my wife into cycling and if I can just get her to ride it I am pretty sure she will be hooked. Like I said, if there are back or wrist issues it is a solution.
Old 04-03-09, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My humble opinion. If price will be the deciding factor, get something at WallyWorld. But once you start down the road to better quality, you'll logically end up at the RANS lineup. And at $1100, the Fusion is not that much more than the Electra you're looking at. At least test ride both.

Old 04-03-09, 03:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the Fusion, but in order to equip it similarly as a commuter, you would have to add lights, fenders, rack, and chain guard. That's going to increase the price difference.

As to test riding a Fusion, good luck with that. It took me 2 years to find a RANS dealer that stocked one ... having failed to find them at about 20 authorized RANS dealers. I did enjoy my test ride.

Old 04-03-09, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You don't need a chainguard if you have a pant leg strap. Besides, chain guards and multi-ring cranks don't get along. And AngeloOldSpokes is in LA - it doesn't rain there enough to say so. The lights are a valid point, but I don't think that's a light on the front of the Electra; it's awfully small and I don't see any wires or anything that would indicate a generator hub.

According to the web site, Bentup Cycles in Van Nuys has a Cruz in stock. I'd still call ahead. I bet that'd be pretty close to a Fusion for test ride purposes. Wisconsin has Hostelshoppe in Stevens Point, which seems to carry the full line of RANS crank-forwards.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 04-03-09 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 07:59 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
You don't need a chainguard if you have a pant leg strap. Besides, chain guards and multi-ring cranks don't get along. And AngeloOldSpokes is in LA - it doesn't rain there enough to say so. The lights are a valid point, but I don't think that's a light on the front of the Electra; it's awfully small and I don't see any wires or anything that would indicate a generator hub.

According to the web site, Bentup Cycles in Van Nuys has a Cruz in stock. I'd still call ahead. I bet that'd be pretty close to a Fusion for test ride purposes. Wisconsin has Hostelshoppe in Stevens Point, which seems to carry the full line of RANS crank-forwards.
I had to go to the Hostel Shoppe to ride a RANS crank forward. That's more than 100 miles from me, and I wasn't going to make a trip up there just to do that. So I waited until I was in the area. During that time while I waited to go up there, I checked on every RANS dealer in southern Wisconsin, several in Illinois, a couple in Pennsylvania, and four in Florida, as I traveled to all of those areas. None stocked them.

Now the RANS LBS that is one block from my parking lot is once again stocking a few of their crank forwards, after a 3 year absence.

As to the Electra, you need to sharpen your eyes. It has both front and rear lights, the front is powered by a dynamo generator, and it does have a chain guard on its triple crank. Chain guards are very nice on a commuter, as you don't have to remember that pants strap every single day.

Oh, the Electra has a kickstand too.

Old 04-03-09, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I rode an Electra Amsterdam. Internal 3 speed hub. Pretty comfy and not a bad ride on a bumpy street. I'd ride one on a 6 mile commute.