Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sick of Sick!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sick of Sick!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 08:36 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sick of Sick!

Sick of Sick!

Going on my 5th day of some sort of flu/cold/whatever. Making funny noises as I breathe. Exhausted. Deep cough.

I miss my 3 hours of daily exercise terribly, but nothing I can do about it. I have put on weight just sitting around.

No fever, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but have to be real careful as I am subject to bronchitis, and once ended up almost in hospital from pericarditis when I pushed too hard.

Voice is all gravelly. I know it's nothing major and I will get through it. It just doesn't happen to me very often.

My wife gave it to me - thanks a lot, honey.

Well, I got to tell someone.

Anyone else?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-05-09 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 09:20 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get well soon!

My daughter is on her third bout of bronchitis the year. Thankfully I haven't caught her bug.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-05-09, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
From your description, I had that same bug back in December. It lasted about 10 days and did not linger on as is usually the case. Hang in there.
Old 04-05-09, 10:13 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry to hear you're under the weather, D, and for so long. Hope recovery speeds up for you.

Like you, I hate to be ill and have my schedule disrupted. So in my extended time off the bike I'm having to find different ways to be happy. It's certainly challenging at times.

Feel better soon!
Old 04-06-09, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I can relate, including the gravelly voice. Had the same kind of krud for a couple of weeks. I get it each Spring. This year is worse as Winter refuses to die, and we're having warm-cold temperature cycles.

It was in the low 70's on Saturday. We managed only low 40's on Sunday. Hard freeze tonight. Whoopee
Old 04-06-09, 12:03 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard so many from all over the country complain of this virus-- bad cold/bronchitis-- this year. Had it myself, was off work for 5 days ( which translates into almost 2 weeks thanks to 12 hour shifts and like you, gained weight-- over ate because I had no energy). Still haven't gotten back in the activity groove. Just going out for a 3-4 mile easy spin seems like such a chore. I need a support group to kick my backside... and probably more than once. Hope you recover soon.
Old 04-06-09, 12:28 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rae
I need a support group to kick my backside... .
OK, HTFU and get out and ride, then do it again tomorrow.

It's tough love, but glad to help out.
Old 04-06-09, 12:30 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, that's a real pain. For my body, I've found there is no substitute for good solid rest. If I try to force getting well quicker, it just takes longer.
Old 04-06-09, 01:22 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just today I think I'm coming down with a cold. Boohoo!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-06-09, 01:32 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hope you all feel well real soon.

At least you're reporting your illness via the internet rather than up close and personal like my moron neighbor felt obligated to do yesterday.

The bride and I were catching a few late afternoon rays out on the front stoop when "Old Naggy Bag" comes trotting over, plops her constantly complaining carcass down right along side my bride and comences to describe in great detail the viscious bout with the flu that she only today feels a little better from.

If we catch it I'm going over to sit in her brand new chevy 'till my stomach settles down...well I'ld like to anyway.

It seems that some people have no common sense or common courtesy what so ever.
Old 04-06-09, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
2 things
- Boost your immune system
- Boost your metabolism
Old 04-06-09, 02:50 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
2 things
- Boost your metabolism
Gee, thanks!
Old 04-06-09, 03:44 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankfully I don't get sick. I am a recluse and tend to avoid people and I also wash my hands alot (I sound weird don't I). If you want to stay healthy avoid people especially those little ones that always seem to have the sniffles.

I have another problem and if anyone has a cure please let me know. From January to May I suffer from seasonal allergies. It's pretty much like having a cold for 5 months. Really sucks! I can't breathe through my nose at all. I take medication and am drowsy and light headed all the time. I try to ride but can't push cause I can barely breathe.

Does anyone have a old wives' cure for seasonal allergies? I am willing to try anything at this point!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-06-09, 06:03 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry Denver, I guess I must have passed my virus over the internet. It turned into pneumonia last week. One advantage to pneumonia, I didn't gain any weight because I was coughing so hard I threw everything up. It was a real treat to finally get out of the recliner and sleep in bed last night. At this point if you have any fever, get to your MD. A double dose course of zithromax put me right in 5 days. Still short of breath, but I was able to ride a couple miles yesterday. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-06-09, 06:10 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith
Sorry Denver, I guess I must have passed my virus over the internet. It turned into pneumonia last week. One advantage to pneumonia, I didn't gain any weight because I was coughing so hard I threw everything up. It was a real treat to finally get out of the recliner and sleep in bed last night. At this point if you have any fever, get to your MD. A double dose course of zithromax put me right in 5 days. Still short of breath, but I was able to ride a couple miles yesterday. I hope you feel better soon.
silly -

All you had to do was

- Boost your metabolism
- Stay away from kids
- Wash your hands more

And you would have been well.

Don't you feel foolish?

Seriously - I am keeping a sharp track on the fever - none whatsoever - 97.6F

I feel much better today - just grouchy enough to drive the wife nuts, but, since she gave it to me . . . .

Sure hope you get better soon.
Old 04-07-09, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Sick of Sick!

Going on my 5th day of some sort of flu/cold/whatever. Making funny noises as I breathe. Exhausted. Deep cough.

I miss my 3 hours of daily exercise terribly, but nothing I can do about it. I have put on weight just sitting around...

Well, I got to tell someone.

Anyone else?
Me too; I had an acute episode of runny nose and tearing for about two days, then about two weeks of headache, vague body ache, a very mild cough, and lassitude. I'm a commuter and I was off the bike for almost all that time, and just resumed my 14 mile commute this past Saturday. My legs still feel achy, more like an illness than fatigue. My downfall during sickness is comfort food and commuting by train. The longer you do them, the harder is it to "HTFU."

I too have heard a lot of reports of this lingering cold going around. Usually I am over a cold in three or so days. I described my dismay to a fellow subscriber about riding all winter, and now with nicer weather coming, I haven't been riding. He replied:

I had that viral lung thing a few weeks back and lost about two weeks where I couldn't do much. On the positive side, I was healthy enough to recuperate within two weeks... others took longer!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-07-09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 07:35 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you are better by now DF. I too was struck by a bug. The 5 day of awfulness bug courtesy of my granddaughter. oh well you gotta love them anyway. Am back on my feet finally and rode this morning first time since last Wednesday. better to ride than sit on the pot that's for sure.
Old 04-07-09, 08:26 AM
Banned.

Feeling lots better today. I am at the point where I know I shouldn't be getting out too much, yet my mind is saying GO, and my body is saying NOT YET!!
Old 04-07-09, 11:13 AM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
OK, HTFU and get out and ride, then do it again tomorrow.

It's tough love, but glad to help out.
But now it is snowing! Can't ride in that! Waaah!
Old 04-07-09, 03:52 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I am a recluse. Does anyone have a old wives' cure for seasonal allergies? I am willing to try anything at this point!
Yes Pam,

You are a recluse; haven't seen you and your bike out on the road for months! However, being a recluse neither causes nor cures allergies.

As an allergy sufferer, I found that when I moved from MO to CA, all my allergies disappeared. Well, for about five years . . . now they're back. A little different, but yeah, they're back.

So, first, move to some other part of the country that's as little like SoCal as possible, with regards to plants and things to which you have a reaction. Of course, we would all miss you, so that really isn't a good solution.

Second, and now that I'm back to suffering (esp. during Santana/Santa Ana Wind conditions) I do drugs! Benedril at night, Clariton (actually the Kaiser generic) during the day. These should neither hinder, nor improve your cycling performance (unlike, say EPO for example), but they will get you through the day (and night).

The other thing you'll find (at least I do) is that allergy symptoms go away when I'm on long climbing rides (GMR, Angeles Crest, Palomar, etc.), so I think you'll find if you do more rides like that, you'll feel better, at least while you're riding. Okay, your legs may hurt, but at least you will be free of allergy symptoms!

Hope that Helps!

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-08-09, 07:58 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have a old wives' cure for seasonal allergies? I am willing to try anything at this point!

Neti pot? Works for lots of folks.
Old 04-08-09, 07:59 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Feeling lots better today. I am at the point where I know I shouldn't be getting out too much, yet my mind is saying GO, and my body is saying NOT YET!!

Glad to hear that you are feeling bettter!!
Old 04-08-09, 02:27 PM
Banned.

Exhausted - but did get in 1.5 mile walk, 5 mile ride and a bit of resistance exercises!
Old 04-08-09, 03:03 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Neti pot? Works for lots of folks.
What is that?

Side note: A long time ago I used a drug called Drixoral to control my allergies. It was the only thing that really worked. They took it off the market. I bought some through a Canadian pharmacy. The package was all in Romanian so I was scared to use it. I finally got desperate and took a pill last night. First morning in 6 weeks I didn't have the sniffles and sneezies!!! It might contain some toxic waste or something but it's curing my ailment.

Rick haven't been out cause frankly my allergies make it hard for me to breathe. Hopefully taking the Drixoral I can ride again.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-08-09, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
What is that?

Side note: A long time ago I used a drug called Drixoral to control my allergies. It was the only thing that really worked. They took it off the market. I bought some through a Canadian pharmacy. The package was all in Romanian so I was scared to use it. I finally got desperate and took a pill last night. First morning in 6 weeks I didn't have the sniffles and sneezies!!! It might contain some toxic waste or something but it's curing my ailment.

Rick haven't been out cause frankly my allergies make it hard for me to breathe. Hopefully taking the Drixoral I can ride again.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...sku=sku3355404

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.