Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

May 6, Seattle, No bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

May 6, Seattle, No bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 06:00 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
May 6, Seattle, No bike

How should Mrs. Grouch and me enjoy the day?
Old 04-08-09, 07:22 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
1. Take the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island. The ferry ride over and back is the best cheap tour of Elliott Bay, from the water you get a great view of Seattle and a good feel for how the city is laid out.

Walk up the hill to the little downtown area, have a roll and coffee at one of the local cafes and then visit the bike museum in the back of Classic Cycles. Then take the ferry back to Seattle.

https://www.classiccycleus.com/

2. Hang out with the tourists at Pike Place Market. Hard to visit Seattle without at least spending a half hour or hour at the Market.

While at the market, visit Elliott Bay Cycles:
www.davidsonbicycles.com
www.elliottbaybicycles.com

Great collection of vintage bikes, and they make custom bikes in the back. If you are nice they might show you the bike-making shop back behind the bike store.

3. If you like music, ride the monorail from downtown to Seattle Center and visit EMP (Experience Music Project).

4. If you're interested, one of the best ways to see the Lake Union area is by kayak. A lot of fun. You can rent by the hour or half-day. Obviously depends on the weather

https://www.aguaverde.com/paddle.shtml

https://www.nwoc.com/rental/

Other good things to do, depending on your interests:

- Pioneer Square / Underground Seattle (art galleries, antiques, old buildings). Underground Seattle is an interesting tour of (guess what) underground Seattle.
- International District (aka Chinatown - great food)
- If weather is nice, Seattle Arboretum (if you like gardens/parks)
- Visit Chittenden locks
- Take a walk in Discovery Park, nice views of the bay
- Wooden Boat Center, on South Lake Union

If you don't mind a drive, you could also drive about 30 minutes out of town and visit Snoqualmie Falls - gives you a feel for what the mountains around here are like, you see some pretty waterfalls, etc. Great place to have lunch or dinner right at the Falls (though $$$).

Last edited by BengeBoy; 04-08-09 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 07:34 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some other ideas (from an ex-Washingtonian):

1. Talk a ride up the Space Needle (another way to get a good view of the city, although a little pricey)
2. Take a tour of the Seattle Aquarium (and it's right next to Pike Place Market, so its a two-for-one treat). While your there you can have lunch at Ivar's.
3. If the weather's not great, there's always the Seattle Underground tour.
Old 04-08-09, 08:56 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't come to Seattle you will hate it. The traffic is horrible and most of our bridges are ready to fall down come the next earthquake. It rains all the time and those are the good things about it. Now in all truth enjoy your visit and hope the weather cooperates for you.
Old 04-08-09, 09:05 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We sure enjoyed the great ferry rides as a pedestrian. Great ferries, beautiful scenery. For someone from a land locked like state (Colorado) it was a real treat..
Old 04-08-09, 09:34 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Are you asking for a loaner? If so, I'm still laid up recovering from cancer surgery and my bike that I used riding the alaskan hwy. is gathering dust ...if you are near mission b.c. PM me.
Old 04-09-09, 02:25 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered staying in your room and ... well, you know?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-09-09, 09:26 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Have you considered staying in your room and ... well, you know?
While drawing his inspiration from the Space Needle?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-09-09, 12:41 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go to the Hiram Chittendon Locks. They're worth a visit.
Old 04-09-09, 01:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been there a couple of times. If I had only 1 day, I'd hit the Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, Underground Seattle, and try to ride a ferry. Then if it wasn't raining, go up in the Space Needle in the evening.

I really like that area. Good place to spend a week, when you can get out to to Olympia NP, Port Townsend, ride the ferry up to Victoria, BC, and more.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-09-09, 06:42 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
1. Take the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island. The ferry ride over and back is the best cheap tour of Elliott Bay, from the water you get a great view of Seattle and a good feel for how the city is laid out.

It is indeed!

Walk up the hill to the little downtown area, have a roll and coffee at one of the local cafes and then visit the bike museum in the back of Classic Cycles. Then take the ferry back to Seattle.

https://www.classiccycleus.com/

2. Hang out with the tourists at Pike Place Market. Hard to visit Seattle without at least spending a half hour or hour at the Market.

While at the market, visit Elliott Bay Cycles:
www.davidsonbicycles.com
www.elliottbaybicycles.com

Great collection of vintage bikes, and they make custom bikes in the back. If you are nice they might show you the bike-making shop back behind the bike store.

Pike Place Market is a must see. It's not just for tourists--the locals love it too. Uli's lamb sausages, the fish stalls, the flower vendors!
I also really like taking people to visit the locks and Seattle Underground.

East Hill
Old 04-11-09, 12:10 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
+1 on the Bainbridge Island Ferry ride. If you want a longer & more scenic trip, take the Bremerton Ferry. It also departs from Colman dock. If you choose the Bainbridge ride, check out Classic Cycle https://www.classiccycleus.com/
Old 04-11-09, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Since I'd like to spend the day doing stuff that I can't do in Missouri, so far the most enticing idea to me has been the Bainbridge Ferry + Classic Cycle museum. We might have 5 and 8 year old granddaughters with us so attention span limitations may be a factor. They might not be as into old bicycles as their grandad. How long is the ferry ride?

Another possibility is that we may split up for at least part of the day. I'd be very interested in seeing the bike frame shop at Elliott Bay Cycles and Mrs. Grouch is more interested in visiting the aquarium. Mrs Grouch and the girls have already witnessed the fish throwing.

Incidentally, Mrs. Grouch says that the only place you can get decaf coffee in Seattle is at the hotels. Made her feel like a criminal similar to when she tried to order farm raised salmon in San Francisco. Just going by Stringbreaker's avitar they have some strange looking people there too.
Old 04-11-09, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Since I'd like to spend the day doing stuff that I can't do in Missouri, so far the most enticing idea to me has been the Bainbridge Ferry + Classic Cycle museum. We might have 5 and 8 year old granddaughters with us so attention span limitations may be a factor. They might not be as into old bicycles as their grandad. How long is the ferry ride?

Another possibility is that we may split up for at least part of the day. I'd be very interested in seeing the bike frame shop at Elliott Bay Cycles and Mrs. Grouch is more interested in visiting the aquarium. Mrs Grouch and the girls have already witnessed the fish throwing.
Answering your questions:

1. The Ferry ride is about 20 or 30 minutes (one way). If your wife and grand-daughters just want to ride over and back they ride off, get off the ferry, turn around and get back on for the return ride (while you walk up the hill to Classic Cycles).

2. The aquarium, Pike Market and Davidson Cycles/Elliott Bay cycles are all within walking distance of each other - they're all right in the same area.

If your grand-daughters are along, when you are on the water front visiting the aquarium or going to the ferry make sure you take them to Ye Old Curiosity Shop.. It's a tourist trap, but a very fun one. When my kids were little they loved it.

https://www.yeoldecuriosityshop.com/

Another fantastic kids' place is the International District (Chinatown). Right at the heart of the district is a big Japanese grocery store / bookstore / food court called Uwajimaya.

https://www.uwajimaya.com/

You wouldn't think a grocery store would be fun for kids, but it is - exotic foods, the *best* exotic candy and snacks selection you've seen, a very cool Japanese bookstore with great pens, stickers, stationery, etc. Plus a great food court with all kinds of Asian food + bubble tea + desserts + Asian bakery. And you're right on the edge of the International District. If you want a sit-down restaurant instead of a food court the Shanghai Garden, right across the street from Uwajimaya, is fun.

One other thing to mention if you're moving around downtown - lots of tourists miss the bus tunnel (because it's underground). Figure out where the bus tunnels are and you can zoom around the downtown district for free - you have to find the entrances, go down the stairs, and buses come along every 3 or 4 minutes. Or just grab a bus on the street. Downtown Seattle isn't that large and once you start grabbing the bus it shrinks even more.

https://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/tunnel/tunnel.html