User Tag List

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A white bike for DG

Just for DG, another white bike project. The new photo album of the build has been started on my profile page. So far, the frame with headset, bar, stem and fork. Over the next few days, the brakes, seatpost with saddle and bottom bracket with crankset. Around the begining of next month I'll start the control group.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 06-01-09 at 05:54 PM.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MadMaxx

You're ahead of my (black) bike build. I just got the frame, seatpost clamp, fork, and crankset. The headset and levers are on backorder. The hubs are not in stock and I have to get the wheels built.

You're a man after my own tastes, I was very tempted by the same frame. That fork looks sharp!
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat bars, long wheelbase, but i don't see rack lugs. Freewheel, so it's not a fixed gear. What fork is that? What the heck are you brewing up, Dr?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The frame is a reasonably standard aluminium road bike. The geometry is kind of racy. The fork is from my underpowered TT bike and is also aluminium.

The intent here is to build a high performance flat bar road bike. The control group is going to be pure mountain bike. The gearing ultimately will be 50/34 compact double with an 11/34 cassette or the functional equivalent of a wide range triple. Budget constraints may require that the bike be staged into its final configuration as I have SRAM X.0 tastes and an X.7 wallet.

I used to have a flat bar road bike and as I look back, I liked it more than any other road bike that I had. It makes sense for me as I spend about 75% of my riding time on the MTB so having the same cockpit and feel is a natural. Converting the TT frame into a road bike was a problem as the geometry just wasn't working out for fit and balance reasons. Along came the sale at Price Point for these Sette Ximo frames and voila, the deal was done.

Once this bike is assembled using parts from around the workshop and some new stuff, the rest of the year will be spent upgrading this and the MTB to a much higher standard. If you click on my name and stop by my profile page every now and again, you can watch this assembly go together in a photo album. Click on the pictures and the captions will explain what's happening with the parts.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like an interesting project to pass the time until you come to your senses and put a drop bar and road controls on that frame.

On a less silly note, my very limited experience with aluminum forks has been that they are either flimsy or excessively rigid. How do you find this one to feel?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you add a set of the tires pictured below this could truly be a ghost bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Looks like an interesting project to pass the time until you come to your senses and put a drop bar and road controls on that frame.

On a less silly note, my very limited experience with aluminum forks has been that they are either flimsy or excessively rigid. How do you find this one to feel?
    I thought that this fork would be too stiff also. The set of wheels I have been using with it though are especially comfortable and may be masking the stiffness. Eventually, I will probably replace it with a reasonably good carbon fork. The only carbon fork laying around my shop (the PZ Racing) has produced some "strange" feelings on the road.

As to the drop bars.............I've sort of become neutral about those, not really pro or con.

I'll try to add some more pictures of the fork this weekend. It's a full airfoil TT bladed fork and is no way "flimsy"

Edit: I'm not sure why the wheels feel so good, but they are a little different from the norm. The front wheel is a wide stance (all spokes heads in for the max width base of the spoke triangle at the hub) radial build. They are built at very high tension (higher than the rim manufacturer recomends) that I probably would not want to sell. The rims are a rigid deep v section and spoke washers are used under the head of the spoke at the hub to take out any remaining tolerance. The rear is a half radial (non drive side) and 3 cross drive side. Most performance wheels built to this sort of spec are the newer reduced spoke count wheels but these are 32 spoke. This is a Maddmaxx research special that seems to work well. So far, they have disproven the idea that radial wheels are "harsh"
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 04-10-09 at 07:44 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The photo album is now as complete as the bike is. With the exception of the Frame, handlebars and stem, the bike has been assembled with whatever was laying around the shop. To get the bike up and running it has been outfitted with a traditional set of road drivetrain equipment. About the end of the month I will add a set of Paul's Thumbies to mount barend shifters, the cables, bar ends and the handlebar grips. The bar ends will be of the longish curved style to give a good set of alternate hand positions well forward of the flat bar.

As the year goes on, I will change the running gear over to SRAM Rival road with the new SRAM flat bar shifters. These shifters are going to be available in standard SRAM double tap 10 speed form and also in 9 speed. I'll be using the 9's so that a SRAM 11/34 cassette can be installed.

You can visit the album at http://www.bikeforums.net/members/maddmaxx-8405.html
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 06-01-09 at 05:54 PM.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very purty.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay