Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

84 yr. old inspiration

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

84 yr. old inspiration

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
84 yr. old inspiration

Saw a biker in front of me a couple of hundred yards as I was pedaling along at 15-17mph. As is my custom, I try to guage how fast he is going and what it would take to catch up. This goes on a couple of miles, and I am gaining, but only incrementally. I finally ride along side and we speak for a minut or two, I pull ahead after passing pleasantries.

At the end of this road there is a beach, jetty etc. I stop to have a drink and rest. Momentarily my acquaintance pulls in and we chat. Turns out he is 84 years young, has fairly painful arthritis in hands, shoulders. Oh, also has had a stroke on his left side, and has had his left knee replaced. He is riding a Raleigh 10 speed that is at least 30 yrs old, no helmet, sweatpants and a pair of coaching shoes. He confides that he is always in pain of varying degrees.

As I leave him I think, "but here he is, out here doing it, enjoying the day and keeping as fit as he is able". He made a real impression on me

All in all a very humbling meeting but one that inspires this 60 yr. old to HTFU and stop complaining about the occasional cramp, pull, ache etc.
Old 04-11-09, 12:56 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Speaking of 80+ inspiration, I've linked to this journal over at Crazy Guy on a Bike before. This 82-year old is now 800 miles into his transcontinental tour -- Kenneth Payton, he updates his journal almost every day.

You can leave him a comment in his guest book.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=4767&v=4N
Old 04-11-09, 05:04 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inspiring, yet I hope to get there with fewer pains/strokes/replacement parts. Probably not possible.

I ran into this guy:

at the top of Mount Constitution in the San Juan Islands. He's 79 and rides up, without stopping, once per year. Note RAMROD shirt.
Old 04-11-09, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Inspiring, yet I hope to get there with fewer pains/strokes/replacement parts. Probably not possible.

I ran into this guy:

at the top of Mount Constitution in the San Juan Islands. He's 79 and rides up, without stopping, once per year. Note RAMROD shirt.
A picture crying out for a caption???
Old 04-12-09, 08:36 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Here it is, how to remove mirror from back.

Last edited by a77impala; 04-12-09 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-12-09, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks Al I needed that. I should look that good, or ride that good, at that age.
Old 04-12-09, 09:21 AM
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Saw a biker in front of me a couple of hundred yards as I was pedaling along at 15-17mph. As is my custom, I try to guage how fast he is going and what it would take to catch up. This goes on a couple of miles, and I am gaining, but only incrementally. I finally ride along side and we speak for a minut or two, I pull ahead after passing pleasantries.

At the end of this road there is a beach, jetty etc. I stop to have a drink and rest. Momentarily my acquaintance pulls in and we chat. Turns out he is 84 years young, has fairly painful arthritis in hands, shoulders. Oh, also has had a stroke on his left side, and has had his left knee replaced. He is riding a Raleigh 10 speed that is at least 30 yrs old, no helmet, sweatpants and a pair of coaching shoes. He confides that he is always in pain of varying degrees.

As I leave him I think, "but here he is, out here doing it, enjoying the day and keeping as fit as he is able". He made a real impression on me

All in all a very humbling meeting but one that inspires this 60 yr. old to HTFU and stop complaining about the occasional cramp, pull, ache etc.
I guess I'm still young ... will turn 52 in May. I never thought that I could actually give up driving and get around just fine on a bike! I have many physical and medical issues myself -- high blood pressure, sleep apnea, problems with all of my joints, bad feet (serious plantar fasciitis), back back, very serious allergy trouble, hypoglycemia, just to mention a few ....

I've been making good progress though .... slowly but surly! I also am doing much better keeping up with exercising at home before and after riding. Have lost more weight, and my waist size has gone from 42 to abut 37 in the past year!

I'm sleeping better, feeling great, and enjoying riding ....

Oh yes, I recently met a retired boxer, in his 70s, riding his bike around town (his only transportation now).