Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Question on Riding Shoes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Question on Riding Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on Riding Shoes

I'm looking for some guidance and help on selecting a road riding shoe please.

I am in my mid 60's, 216 lbs and falling - My wife and I started riding again a few months ago after being off of a bike for a lot of years. We are working up on the miles at a reasonable pace. We ride about 18 to 30 miles every day the weather allows with a goal of riding a century sometime later this summer.

Many years ago I used clips on my pedals and would not have been without them. The Look pedal was just out and I got a pair - loved them - promptly fell on my butt - yes - in traffic - in down town San Diego. - That had to have been in the mid 80's - Do I need to say "embarrassed" - That's about when I let work get in the way of life and stopped riding.

When we started riding again recently, I bought us each a pair of Forte MTB shoes with Speed Play Frog pedals because I wanted to be able to walk around somewhat easier than in a regular road shoe with cleats. That has worked out really well but recently I have noticed that after about 15 to 20 miles, one or both of my feet have started tingling and getting very uncomfortable. I'm thinking I need to go to a road shoe with a much stiffer sole. As it turns out I really don't walk around that much - only at stops and then only for a few minutes although some of the time I am not on a hard surface. I may be walking on grass or on hard dirt.

Here's my problem - I will have to order the shoes from some mail order place online. The LBS does not carry a very big selection of shoes (I no longer live in a big city) so trying the shoe on before buying is not an option. I wear an 11 D in US size. I keep seeing all these Italian, French, and Japanese brand names on road shoes. Typically in regular shoes the Italian, French and Japanese shoes all have a very a narrow toe box. They are just not made for the some of the larger feet seen here in the US and especially by those of us with a few more miles on us.

What is a reasonably good road shoe - specific or brand - that is made to accommodate the good old American fat foot?

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 04-12-09, 02:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the best shoes--by which all others are measured--is manufactured by SIDI. They make both a road and a mtb shoe. The mtb shoe would fit you criteria of having a stiffer sole and also allowing you to walk around without looking like a duck. They come in a wide version which might suit you but be sure if you are buying remotely that you have return options.

The SIDIs are expensive but I know many hard-core riders who have over 30k miles on a pair.
Old 04-12-09, 03:39 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I just got a pair of Sidi road shoes. Get this: My wife made me do it. She pointed out how much time I'll spend in them, and long-term it was a good deal. The fact we got them at better than 1/2 price off (still a ton o' cash) made it less painful.

They are amazing.
read my blog about them
https://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2009/04/...sidi-cult.html
Old 04-12-09, 04:12 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdrianL
I'm looking for some guidance and help on selecting a road riding shoe please.

I am in my mid 60's, 216 lbs and falling - My wife and I started riding again a few months ago after being off of a bike for a lot of years. We are working up on the miles at a reasonable pace. We ride about 18 to 30 miles every day the weather allows with a goal of riding a century sometime later this summer.

Many years ago I used clips on my pedals and would not have been without them. The Look pedal was just out and I got a pair - loved them - promptly fell on my butt - yes - in traffic - in down town San Diego. - That had to have been in the mid 80's - Do I need to say "embarrassed" - That's about when I let work get in the way of life and stopped riding.

When we started riding again recently, I bought us each a pair of Forte MTB shoes with Speed Play Frog pedals because I wanted to be able to walk around somewhat easier than in a regular road shoe with cleats. That has worked out really well but recently I have noticed that after about 15 to 20 miles, one or both of my feet have started tingling and getting very uncomfortable. I'm thinking I need to go to a road shoe with a much stiffer sole. As it turns out I really don't walk around that much - only at stops and then only for a few minutes although some of the time I am not on a hard surface. I may be walking on grass or on hard dirt.

Here's my problem - I will have to order the shoes from some mail order place online. The LBS does not carry a very big selection of shoes (I no longer live in a big city) so trying the shoe on before buying is not an option. I wear an 11 D in US size. I keep seeing all these Italian, French, and Japanese brand names on road shoes. Typically in regular shoes the Italian, French and Japanese shoes all have a very a narrow toe box. They are just not made for the some of the larger feet seen here in the US and especially by those of us with a few more miles on us.

What is a reasonably good road shoe - specific or brand - that is made to accommodate the good old American fat foot?

Thanks a lot for the advice.
I don’t know what you want to spend but Shimano makes a shoe that will fit you. They are molded to your feet. They cost a bit, something like 200 bucks but they will fit period. They warm up the insole and have you step one it till it fits your foot. Then after it cools they put it in the shoe and somehow warm the shoe while it is on your foot. When they are done the shoe is your shoe and no one else would ever be as comfortable as you in that shoe. But like I said, you have got to want to spend the bucks. I use Specialized sport MTB shoes and Time Atac pedals and cleats. But I am easy to fit.
Still shoes are like saddles, everyone has their favorite.

Last edited by Robert Foster; 04-12-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
SIdi makes a "mega" road shoe, its wider than their regular road shoe. I just bought a pair of Lois Garneau MTB shoes which I have on my road bike, 46 miles yesterday no problem. The reason I went with the LG were they have a very rounded toe box and my 3rd toe is slightly longer than my 2nd toe, and I get a lot of discomfort from that toe hitting the end of shoes that fit well in other aspects. The MTB shoes on shimano spd pedals are every bit as secure and stable as my SIDIs on look pedals. That's my experience, yours will vary of course.
Old 04-12-09, 06:49 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Before you going buying shoes, try riding without doing them up so tight. More foot issues are caused by overtightened shoes than anything else and although it's happening well into the ride for you, it could be you're just slightly overtightening.

Another thing to try is thin socks - thick socks can be a cause of problems for reasons I can't remember right now.

For what it's worth, I ride with bmx shoes (a stout sole, not a stiff sole), on platform pedals with toe clips, cover much longer distances than you and don't get a hint of foot trouble.

Richard
Old 04-12-09, 06:52 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I prefer a mountain shoe to a road shoe and recently started wearing a Bontrager Race MTB shoe.
https://bontrager.com/model/07813/en
It is very comfortable and good for walking around in after the ride. You need a 2-bolt cleat like Eggbeaters or SPD's with this shoe. I have big feet and prefer a wider shoe. Many of the shoes I try on are too narrow. This one fits great. In fact I've been in them for about 5 hours today with no problems. I have had other shoes that aren't quite stiff enough. These are plenty stiff, but still walkable.

I agree with Europa -- The first thing you should do is loosen up the shoes a little. Whenever mine are too tight, my feet hurt then they fall asleep. I would also encourage you to try moving the cleat around on your current shoes before you give up on them!
Old 04-12-09, 06:56 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
When I worked at a bike shop in the early 1970s, we used to steer folks with narrow feet, particularly narrow heels, to Italian shoes, such as Detto Pietros (my personal favorites), and those with wider feet and heels to Belgian shoes. In the 1980s I got hooked on Avocet touring shoes, which I wish were still available.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-13-09, 06:19 AM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John - I remember the Avocet shoes. They are what I had way back when. They sure fit good. I was wondering if I was just not finding them. To bad they are not made anymore.

europa - thanks for the tip on loosening the shoe. I don't tie them very tight because I do not like a tight shoe but I will try tying them a little loser anyway to see if that works. Socks - I do use "thick" socks. Actually, they are riding socks I bought at the LBS trying to see if that might alievate the problem. I will go back to some of my thinner socks and see how they do.

RF - the Shimano sounds like a really nice shoe but there is not much chance I will find that shoe anywhere near where I am.

I thank everyone for the tips. I sure hate to give up my MTB shoes and cleats so I will try the suggestions mentioned here before giving up on them. Perhaps what I need may be a better MTB shoe. I think I paid all of about $35 for the ones I am using now.

Thanks again to all.
Old 04-13-09, 07:59 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
If you do switch to a true road pedal, and the mix of riding to walking you describe seems ideal for the advantages of road pedals, try using cleat covers to protect the cleat from dirt and wear while walking. They also make walking a little less slippery on smooth surfaces like convenience store floors. Kool Kovers is the major brand.
Old 04-13-09, 08:36 AM

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am a similar size and age, and had a similar problem.......may want to try moving cleat back further on your shoe, in addition to loosening it somewhat.....worked for me
Old 04-13-09, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sidi shoes and Shimano SPD-SL pedals are a great combination.
Old 04-13-09, 09:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be best for you to go out of your way and find a place that sells bike shoes so you can try them on. Buying them online and getting the right fit could be, in the least, a long term adventure.
Old 04-13-09, 10:31 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AdrianL
Try Lakes. About half their models come in regular or wide sizes. I have a pair of their winter cycling boots in 48 wide (13½EEE US) and they're the most comfortable shoes I own.
Old 04-13-09, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try moving the cleat back; as far as it will go. Also consider an insole, such as the Superfeet brand.
Old 04-13-09, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (Campy), Trek 930, Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Sidi Dominator Megas. I have wide feet and they fit very well. I also wanted a MTB shoe for ease of perambulation. I am very happy with them, as are my 2 riding buddies.

Joel
Old 04-13-09, 11:23 AM
Green lights for all

Location: Ohio, Germany, Florida, West Virginia, and then Georgia now

Bikes: Fuji Team SL 20 spd, Nishiki, Mercian 12 spd. Alan 10 spd, Frejus, Bauer, Motobecane, Schwinn, JC Higgins 3 spd, Columbia coaster brake, Magna BMX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider Shimano style sandals. After fifty years of narrow damn shoes my feet hurt so bad I'm about to give up cycling. I'm using running shoes and Powergrips right now but after 100 miles yesterday my foot felt like it was in a vice in the forefoot area. So, I'll visit a sports med physician first, then maybe try clipless and sandals if i get the OK from the Doc. I am seeing many people using sandals and they all like them.
Old 04-13-09, 12:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like one of those narrow cycling shoes, personally... if I could afford good ones. My problem is the opposite from all you big-footed Americans :-)

My problem is that every affordable shoe is too wide... they feel like they must be made for giants with short feet.

I do second the Shimano sandals though. I use those. The old model was better than the current one, however. But they are fairly wide (with some adjustability from the 3 straps).
Old 04-13-09, 02:47 PM
Glad to be 'bent

Bikes: Radius C4 LWB USS & TW Actionbents trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two pairs of Specialized shoes, and they have a roomy toe box in addition to being wide enough to accommodate my broad feet. I find the sizing is also accurate when compared to my regular footwear. I bought a new pair of road shoes recently and got a fabulous deal by choosing last year's model.
Old 04-14-09, 09:08 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
The tingling may be the start of Morton's neuroma, inflammation of the nerve that runs between the third and fourth flange, caused by wearing shoes that are too narrow.

More important than latching on to any brand, buy shoes that fit and are stiff enough to support the foot and isolate it from the pedal. And I recommend Specialized BG insoles with their metatarsal arch buttons as an upgrade to any shoe.