Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me pick a hybrid

I have it down to a Specialized Carmel 1 (or 3), a Giant Cypress, or a Trek FX. (I tried the Trek 7200 but preferred the Carmel and Cypress.) Obviously I'm trying to stay under $500 here, and that unfortunately needs to be a firm figure. This is for roads, paved trails, and sidewalks. We don't have really beaten up sidewalks, but it'd be nice to be able to handle uneven spots.

I'd especially appreciate comments from those who've compared these. I realize that the FX isn't exactly a hybrid, but a lot of people seem to like them and use them as they do hybrids. I've seen lots of reviews of the FX (and the 7200), but few of the Cypress and almost nothing on the Carmel (seems like no one owns the latter).
    Last edited by Joshi; 04-12-09 at 07:13 PM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How set are you on front Shocks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question, I don't know. Longtime riders generally don't seem to like them, newer ones tell mixed stories. I guess it's up in the air as long as I can stay under $500. I'm kind of curious to know which brand people think gives the best quality parts for the buck also. When I asked at bike shops they pretty much said they're all about the same as far as quality, but who knows if that is accurate.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went with the Cypress because that's what was in my price range at the bike shops. And I'm very happy with mine. I'd still be riding it 100% of the time if Beanz and Gina hadn't given me the Bianchi. I put nearly 3000 miles on my Cypress last year, including a metric half century and an imperial half century. And I still prefer it for the farmers' market rides, mainly because the panniers fit better on it than on the Bianchi Premio.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Giant Cypress and Giant Transend. Transend is much better because it has no front suspension, lighter in weight, higher quality parts, nimble, within price range. Trust me. Do you have any reservations about the Transend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not tried the Transend... sounds like I should. Is it as stable as the Cypress and can it go onto gravel and such like the Cypress? Does it put you in a different riding position than the Cypress? I have yet to try the 7.2 FX either; I plan to try it tomorrow.

Condorita, thx for the info on the Cypress.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, all brands are equally good. Find a dealer you like and try several bikes until you find the one. If you are looking at Specialized hybrids, try the Vienna 2 instead of the Carmel (which I would call a comfort bike).

BTW, please disregard my advice if you really intend to ride your bike on sidewalks. Sidewalks are for walking. Roads are for bicycles. Riding bicycles on sidewalks is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Although this may be counter intuitive, you are safer riding your bicycle on the street than on the sidewalk. Not to mention how much of a menace you become to pedestrians, who do belong on the sidewalks. I am on a mission to reduce sidewalk bicycling in my hometown, a college town.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

screenwasher
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora 2007, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 2006, Trek Antelope 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshi View Post
    I have not tried the Transend... sounds like I should. Is it as stable as the Cypress and can it go onto gravel and such like the Cypress? Does it put you in a different riding position than the Cypress? I have yet to try the 7.2 FX either; I plan to try it tomorrow.

Condorita, thx for the info on the Cypress.
    If you aren't locked in yet, give the Jamis Coda a test ride. It should be within your budget and also meet your riding needs.
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...a/09_coda.html

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is so hard to compare the new models because the companies keep changing them so often. The Specialized Carmels haven't been out long. The Giant Cypress has changed a lot in recent years. At one time it was a more aggressive hybrid, a kind of flat-bar road bike type bike. Now it is much more like the Sedona and is classified as a comfort bike, with suspension fork & post, adjustable stems, riser bars, etc.. The biggest difference between the Cypress and Sedona now is that the Cypress has 700mm 1.5" wide tires, whereas the Sedona has 26" 1.95" tires.

The Trek FX is more of a fitness hybrid, with a more forward riding position. The 7.2 has no suspension, will be much lighter than the Cypress, lack the adjustable stem for raising the handlebars. Designed to be ridden faster and more aggressively than the Cypress or the Carmel 1 or 3. But could be less comfortable for you.

The Carmel 3 looks like a modernized comfort bike. Shock fork, suspension seat post, fat tires, low mountain bike gearing, cushy spring saddle, and riser handlebars. Haven't ridden one but that looks like a cushy, comfortable riding bike that really isn't targeted at a more aggressive riding style.

If you want to try out a more aggressive hybrid from Specialized in your price range, check out their Globe Vienna 2.

The Giant bike similar to these is their Seek 3, but it is $600. Their basic "Transend" bike is in your price range. This is a bit less aggressive than the Trek FX / Specialized Vienna 2. The riding position is a bit more upright, saddle cushier, but no suspension and lighter than a comfort bike. Could be a nice 'tweener bike between these two types.

I'd test ride them all, then do it again. Think about your intended purpose. Make sure you get one that you enjoy riding. Don't get something that you find a chore to ride. If it turns out that you get into riding a lot and this first bike no longer does it for you, then you've gotten a lot out of the experience and it will be time to move on. No harm in that.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 04-13-09 at 10:39 AM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Not to mention how much of a menace you become to pedestrians, who do belong on the sidewalks. I am on a mission to reduce sidewalk bicycling in my hometown, a college town.
    +1. Riding bikes on sidewalks is illegal in Madison, but that doesn't stop thousands of college students from doing it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ended up getting the Specialized Vienna 2.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice. That looks like a nice bike. Hope it fits you well and that you get a lot of joy out of riding it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sidewalks near me (on the neighborhood's exterior and going toward the park where the trails begin) - are striped like a road. They also say hike/bike yield to pedestrian traffic.